Spaceship from Concept Art -WIP Scratch Build- UFP RV Montgomery Scott

A quick reminder of the concept art.....with amidship highlighted...

1 APaolo Ship centter highlight .jpg

Working on the "amidship" (which could be crew quarters, labs etc.)...Aligning bulkheads along the CPVC pipe spine, temporarily in their proposed spacing, with a "T" fitting for accepting a vertical pipe.

This vertical pipe will extend to the base stand attachment point.

86 Middle bulkhead start.jpg

One of two lighting sets needed. Arranging the "P" shape angles for this section, again using 2835 LED strips
cut into smaller pieces.

87 Light box 1.jpg

Another section, long and narrow, required surgery to spread out and minimize the number of LED's needed.

88 Light box 2.jpg

As before, built boxes to contain the LED's out of .06" chipboard...all joints were glued with a
black paint and white glue(PVA) mix....

89 Light boxes complete.jpg

Cut out the locations for lighting into bulkheads and did a temporary fit check...

91 Light boxes in place test.jpg

Before gluing the bulkheads together permanently, I made copper tape solder points, which brings all power
wires together. The bow and stern power feed wires will also terminate here. The 12 volt power feed will pass
thru the vertical pipe down to the future support stand, and onto a wall wart.

I estimate a total power consumption of the model at nearly 1.5 amps

92 Solder bridge.jpg

Till next time...traveling cross country to visit family......but I will return and get right back to work...(OK BajaTym?)

You're welcome Searun, and thanks for following the build.

Cosmic(Russ)- Solid means heavy! I've got a general idea for a substantial base, but it won't be very pretty. Oh well.
It doesn't really matter that much, since I'm really building this for photography use, not a contest..

I hope you have some patience, I loosely predict I need a few more months to finish.!

Beginning the support stand attachment pieces. A .04" (1mm) styrene brace was installed at the midpoint
of the pipe length. The unit is upside down here.

93 Vertical pipe test.jpg

A CVPC male coupling was installed at the bottom, with multiple layers of styrene and wood to hold it firmly in place.
Another pipe will slide into this one, which will then be inserted into the wood base.

94 Internal cpvc pipe.jpg

95 Pipe coupler base stand bottom.jpg

Each end needs a "bump out" to meet up with the bow and stern sections.

96 Bumpout ends.jpg

Then the first test of pieces of .04"(1mm) sheet styrene skin for the bulkheads. Much trimming and sanding necessary...

97 Test skinning pieces.jpg

98 Test skinning pieces 2.jpg

Till next time...

Your precision and skill are a great tribute to Scotty!

I loved the Wrath of Khan film, but it always seemed against character that Scotty was outside when he knew the situation and Spock went in to save the ship. Of all the characters, Scotty seemed to me the most likely to boldly sacrifice himself for the ship and crew.

Last edited:
First test of how all three sections look together....sagging is due to lack of strength in CPVC center pipe & wood
Change of plans…remove wood & purchase 7/16" (11.1mm) steel bar to run entire length inside.....

99 Three sections together.jpg

Began the process of detailing the individual plates for the midship....upper slopes

100 Upper sides.jpg

Portion of side was built up to higher level than the base level..

101 Side !.jpg

begin details....

102 Sides start.jpg

Filling in with more details...

103 Sides 3.jpg

Sides complete.

104 Sides 4.jpg

Till next time...

Back