Spider-Man Noir Costume Build 2019

Update June 10, 2019

Finished sewing the leather skull cap but will need to hand sew it to the shell which is going to be a pain in the backside.

I have sat the skull cap on the shell for a couple of pictures. In the last two you can see how I am going to build the deconstructed aviator goggles onto the shell by sewing the black plastic inner frame onto the front of the shell first.

IMG_0490.JPGIMG_0492.JPGIMG_0495.JPGIMG_0500.JPGIMG_0501.JPGIMG_0503.JPG

Last edited:
Looking really good love the hex pattern on that fabric, where did you get it, that would come in handy for many builds.
The entire piece is coming along well, seeing this has convinced me to cover my MK-1 mask with the Pleather and add my web design...eyes look awesome.

Looking really good love the hex pattern on that fabric, where did you get it, that would come in handy for many builds.
The entire piece is coming along well, seeing this has convinced me to cover my MK-1 mask with the Pleather and add my web design...eyes look awesome.
I can't remember what it is called but they only had a metre and a half of it so I bought the lot because I thought it could be used for other costumes.

Update June 11, 2019

I probably won't get too much done on this costume today but I did get a delivery.

Maybe this is a bit much, but I have had my own lining printed for the leather waistcoat. I am going to quilt the lining onto some padded calico and have this on the inside back. The front breast panels will be lined with suede.

Hopefully I will get started on this during the week.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

I mentioned the other day how much I hated skiving, well it seems like I hated it because I didn't really know what I was doing. You wouldn't think that stropping your blade would make that much of a difference but it makes a huge difference, particularly when you are working with soft leathers like the stuff I am using on the skull cap. I was getting so frustrated with my hopeless skiving I made my own strop. It was really simple. I cut a piece of 2mm vege tanned leather about 80mm wide and 350mm long. I glued it to a piece of dressed timber about 500mm long. I rubbed it with the grey buffing compound that I use on my buffing wheel and then stropped my skiving knife. Instant improvement! Now I just leave the strop next to my work area and sharpen the edge of my skiving knife every few minutes. It is important to have a sharp blade when you are working with soft leathers because you can stretch the leather by pushing too hard with the knife. You can see where I have done this in one of my pictures above where the edge of the leather has become all wavy. Anyway, here is a picture of the strop that I made. Looks a mess but works a treat.

IMG_0506.JPG

Last edited:
love the hex pattern on that fabric, where did you get it, that would come in handy for many builds.

I found out the name of that fabric. It is called Yaya Han Super Hex Black. The woman at the store gave me the number 9349336218828 however that may be their own number. Being a Yaya Han fabric I imagine you will be able to buy it in most Western countries.

I checked it out online and you can get it from Joann's.

I found out the name of that fabric. It is called Yaya Han Super Hex Black. The woman at the store gave me the number 9349336218828 however that may be their own number. Being a Yaya Han fabric I imagine you will be able to buy it in most Western countries.

I checked it out online and you can get it from Joann's.
Thank you, I'm familiar with Yaya cosplay fabrics, I use the Pleather and carbon fiber stretch fabric...I checked it out, our local store doesn't carry it but I think I'll order some, it looks way better in your pictures compared to the ones online. I suspected it may be Yaya I just hadn't seen it anywhere or had the chance to search it.

Update June 13, 2019

Going to be a slow day today but I have made some small progress on the face shell. I have constructed a chin strap. It will need to be dyed black as I have just used some scrap leather, but I have fitted it up to the shell and skull cap to see how it looks. I think it is going to look alright once it is dyed and the skull cap is sewn down. The skull cap has actually come out a bit larger than the shell underneath, so I might have to put a strip of 2mm EVA under the bound edge before I sew it down. I might add a buckle to the right hand side before I glue and stitch it all down.

IMG_0510.JPGIMG_0511.JPGIMG_0519.JPGIMG_0518.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0512.JPG

I was not planning to do much on this costume today but I started a quick experiment with setting up my machine to do some quilting of my custom printed Spider-Man Noir lining and before you know it I had practically finished.

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

EDIT: Finished lining and started staining my boots and the chin strap.

IMG_0528.JPGIMG_0529.JPGIMG_0530.JPG

Last edited:
Hey there! I'm putting together a Noir costume myself, and found these pants on Amazon -- kinda crazy, but they're almost perfect.

Yes, they are pretty close, however, they are pretty pricey given that it has cost me less to have my fabric printed. I guess a lot of it is dependant on how comfortable you are doing a bit of sewing. I find sewing easy so I would much rather make my own trousers than buy a pair. Unfortunately I am not going to receive my printed trousers from Spoonflower before next weekend so I am going to have to wear the striped trousers I made the other day. With that being said, if I needed to buy a pair of trousers those ones on Amazon would just about be perfect. It is really hard to find trousers with black and grey stripes.

Good luck with your build. I am looking forward to seeing your slant on it.

Last edited:
Update June 20, 2019

Today's the day. Going to be making my leather waistcoat today. Lining is done and pattern is cut. Now it is time to plunge the knife into the hide and hope for the best. Doing leather work is always stressful because of the expense and the fear of cocking up. There is no chance of starting again at this point.

IMG_0548.JPGScreen Shot 2019-06-20 at 10.41.35 AM.png

I have that stressful feeling just cutting up the YaYa Han fabric while not as pricey as leather it's always on my mind goofing up a cut, I'm still getting my feet wet so to speak with fabric and allowing for seams and fold over. I just tell myself it's only cosplay so relax...lol, but I'm a bit OCD on certain things, and my worst critic. Watching this I'm pretty sure it will be come out good.

I usually go to conventions with my daughter and we usually do complimentary costumes. She is doing Spider-Gwen Noir. Her costume is way closer to being finished than mine. Just has the buttons to go. Here is a pic.

Spidey and Gwen noir.jpgIMG_0554.JPG

This is how things went today. Cut all the leather bar the collar. Then I had to cut out the Spider logo on the back panel. I used an awl and pricked the pattern out and then went in with a knife and cut it out. Then I lined the back panel with suede and outlined the logo with a sewing machine with a wheel presser. I attached the suede lining to the quilted back then I sewed the back leather panel together and then found that leather is a bit of a three dimensional material and it has come out much smaller than it should have. The lining is going to have to be adjusted to fit the outer. I hope it still fits after adjustment or it is going to be a disaster. The front panels have to be skived and then attached to the back. I have allowed for half inch seams so I might change the side and the shoulder seams to quarter inch and that might help me get back some of what I lost sewing the back panels together.

IMG_0558.JPGIMG_0559.JPGIMG_0560.JPGIMG_0561.JPGIMG_0562.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0565.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0567.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0569.JPGIMG_0570.JPGIMG_0571.JPG

Looks good indeed, I'm getting a bit motivated to see if I can find a used machine if I can learn this sewing my MK-1 suit will come out much better. The garment under the armor is what I'm hoping to make or blend some material with already made skinny slacks. Looking real good.

Looks good indeed, I'm getting a bit motivated to see if I can find a used machine if I can learn this sewing my MK-1 suit will come out much better. The garment under the armor is what I'm hoping to make or blend some material with already made skinny slacks. Looking real good.

If I could give some advice look for a "small" industrial machine on a treadle table. All of the sewing I have done on this job has been done on a treadle table (so no electricity which is good for the carbon footprint of my work) using two machines. One of those machines I have set up with a roller foot for doing intricate leather work the other is a heavier machine which I use for punching through heavy canvas and layers of leather. I just swap the machine heads out of the treadle table depending on what I am working on at the time.

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist or Gumtree and eventually you could find an old industrial for a few dollars.

Update June 21, 2019

Got it done with eight hours to spare. It isn't quite the costume it could have been as I have taken some shortcuts but I think I can fix those in time.

Will post pictures tomorrow night.

Just got home from Supanova Sydney. Costumes (Spider-Man and Spider Gwen Noir) looked great. Got a great response from people who knew the character, but I think most people know the Spiderverse version much better. Took hardly any pictures so relying on others to send me some. Here are a couple which aren't too bad. Will post others as I get them.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back