Standard white styrofoam

CGClone

Sr Member
The kind you kind by in blocks or sheets, pretty dense.

I got a crafters/prop building hot knife to cut some costume parts out of the 12x12x19 blocks. The knife gets to about 750 degrees and slices through it like butter. However, it releases the most wonderfully dark and disguiting smelling smoke and the blade of the knife is covered with a dark amber substance that dries crystaline like.

Anybody have any clue about this? Is it toxic? I get conflicting reports on this when I search online. I figured I would hit up the pros.

Thanks for the input ahead of time.

I'm not a chemist, nor do I play one on TV, but I'm a thinkin' that's something you don't wanna breathe.

A few months ago, a group of us used a hot wire machine to cut some Stargate transporter ring things. Took a looooooong time.... We're still all alive, but we certainly didn't enjoy it. Did it in January in a garage in Minnesota with a door partially open to let in a little fresh air/vent nasty air.

I would think lot's of ventilation and or a respirator mask will be your friend during this.

Obi-Bob

I'm not a chemist, nor do I play one on TV, but I'm a thinkin' that's something you don't wanna breathe.

A few months ago, a group of us used a hot wire machine to cut some Stargate transporter ring things. Took a looooooong time.... We're still all alive, but we certainly didn't enjoy it. Did it in January in a garage in Minnesota with a door partially open to let in a little fresh air/vent nasty air.

I would think lot's of ventilation and or a respirator mask will be your friend during this.

Obi-Bob

Got some pics of that project?

Take care of your lungs, it's so tough to get replacements nowadays :)

Last edited:
Call me stupid, but my father has been in the plastics industry for 35 years as an engineer. I dont know why I didnt think of calling him, but I did and I told him about the smoke and the fumes. I will pass along what he told me for the community here.

He said that the standard "styrofoam" is made from styrene (this I knew LOL), they pump or blast air into the molten form and you get the small cell (pellets/ball) that form and then the foam is compressed and extruded. Due to the air injected, the styrofoam actually starts to degrade even though you may not see it, this contributes to the smell.

I told him that the hot knife I was using reached temperatures of 750 degrees or so and he said that is contributing to fumes and smoke. Its too hot and I am "burning" the foam instead of melting it, but there is no carcinogens or toxins in the stryofoam. PVC foam and plastic yes, standard styrofoam, no. He did say it would stink however, no matter the "freshness" of the material, especially if you are burning the foam. He mentioned the pink and blue insulating foam do have flame retardents in them and they may stink more. The fumes and smoke is an irritant to your lungs but not toxic unless its PVC and with PVC you have to be careful of when you melt it, it releases chlorine gas, bad stuff.

So as for my worries, he said to wear gloves, because sometimes overheated styrofoam will "spit" and little blobs of the melted foam will hit your skin and give you severe burns. He said to cut outside or in an extremely well ventilate area with a fan and wear glasses or a face shield as well for the "spitting" issue.

He mentioned that ABS plastics have a bit more stink because of the mixture of Acrylic Butanine (rubber) and Styrene, and the dies they use in them and Styrene. Even white ABS has die, apparently its natural color is a dull yellow (which explained to me that ABS TK armor I have seen that has yellowed).

Just passing along what he shared, no expertise on my part, just sharing, hope it helps!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back