Deprecated Star Lord accurate jacket valves (zippers/badges are gone)

Re: Star Lord ACCURATE ZIPPER & Arm Details run

I'll have a photo of the actual valve in a few hours. I'm currently drawing up the badge.

Photos of the valve are up in the first post! As stated, I'm currently working on the badge and if I end up offering it I intend to make itthe most accurate available. (I'll be doing the other hard accessories as well, including having the buckle pattern worked on by someone who is real good at "organic" modeling so that the "dings" look correct.)

Question, are you using these parts in tandem with IndyMagnoli's build? I was curious.Will he be using your parts?

Question, are you using these parts in tandem with IndyMagnoli's build? I was curious.Will he be using your parts?

Indy isn't including the badge or the arm valve in the jackets he is making. I will add those two parts to my own copy of the jacket once I get it from him. Most of the preliminary research for it was handled by myself and another RPFer.

Here's a test render of the badge. It's unclear whether or not there is a circular indentation in the top but I put a real shallow one in to make painting easier. (It's just as easy to leave it out though.) I'll be running a first physical test tomorrow.

badge_rendertest.JPG

Actually, the circle is raised. I unfortunately didn't take a picture of it from the side, but I noticed that when I saw the costume in Sherman Oaks. The thickness of the whole thing was about 1/8". The render looks good, as does the arm plug.

Actually, the circle is raised. I unfortunately didn't take a picture of it from the side, but I noticed that when I saw the costume in Sherman Oaks. The thickness of the whole thing was about 1/8". The render looks good, as does the arm plug.

Yeah, now that you mention it one of the photos I have shows it pretty clearly. I have my thickness at 3.3mm right now but I'm going to pull it back a bit. Thanks for the confirm. Actually, the render above is pretty bad- it's mirrored! This is why you shouldn't do stuff like this when you're bleary-eyed at 4 o'clock in the morning folks, lol.

Updated badge render. It's a lot more accurate now- I even beveled all of the edges to mimic the softness in the casting.
badge_rendertest2.JPG

Are you planning on casting these in rubber? I ask because if they aren't flexible, there will be arm movement issues.

One last detail, the circle is only raised on the raised panels. The lower level is flush and the circle is just painted there.

Finally got around to seeing this. I'll go one zipper and a valve and badge.

Wes

I'm in for a zipper, valve and badge pleas
cheers
jamie

Are you planning on casting these in rubber? I ask because if they aren't flexible, there will be arm movement issues.

One last detail, the circle is only raised on the raised panels. The lower level is flush and the circle is just painted there.

Movement wouldn't be that restrictive since the outer arm panel is loose in front and under but If I can do it in rubber and keep the cost reasonable I will. There's a minimum startup cost for buying casting supplies to do it, which are not cheap on this side of the pond and I absolutely hate being exposed to the chemicals involved in casting. I haven't' done any calculations yet but if only 10-ish people are interested the cost may be higher than stated above. I'll do some calculations on it tomorrow. There's a chance I might be able to print a mold to save on silicone costs.

Regarding the second part- are you certain about the circle? I have a couple very high-res photos that clearly show a shadow in the recesses that looks much too clean to just be paint, though if it's raised or lowered is harder to see. There are a couple of them in the lower half of the badge as well. If they are just painted it would be a pretty amazing precision job.

Also- I've posted a photo of the badge. Unless we decide on changing the circle again I'm pretty happy with it. The thinnest detail is about 0.023 inches and I'm kinda amazed that I was able to go that low. Going by other details on the jacket I guestimated the badge to be about 10cm (about 4") high but that is easily changed.

Can you say what the bundle would cost? If someone's buying all three will there be any savings?

Re: Star Lord jacket zipper & Details (greeblies)

Can you say what the bundle would cost? If someone's buying all three will there be any savings?
Well, first you will save the shipping which would be about $15 per separate piece! Then there is a small bundle save ($10 if you get the valve with the zipper... I don't ahve an exact cost for the badge yet. I'm going to see if I can do a hard mold for rubber casting.)

Are the arm valves and arm badge also a limited run?
Not really, but they were mainly brought up to complement the zipper. I may have to do them in batches to cut down on the workload- I will probably not have a lot of extra time to do "one offs" later. (Also, if I do the badges in rubber I'll have a limited supply of it to cast in.)

So, FedEx screwed up delivery of the zippers today but I've been promised delivery tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

In other news, here's the painted and assembled valve. I mussed up the paint a bit (Humbrol metalcote) because I didn't wait long enough before polishing it so it went a bit lumpy on me, but I quite like the finish!
valve_sloppypaint.jpg

Re: Star Lord jacket zipper & Details (greeblies)

Well, first you will save the shipping which would be about $15 per separate piece! Then there is a small bundle save ($10 if you get the valve with the zipper... I don't ahve an exact cost for the badge yet. I'm going to see if I can do a hard mold for rubber casting.)

Not really, but they were mainly brought up to complement the zipper. I may have to do them in batches to cut down on the workload- I will probably not have a lot of extra time to do "one offs" later. (Also, if I do the badges in rubber I'll have a limited supply of it to cast in.)

So, FedEx screwed up delivery of the zippers today but I've been promised delivery tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

In other news, here's the painted and assembled valve. I mussed up the paint a bit (Humbrol metalcote) because I didn't wait long enough before polishing it so it went a bit lumpy on me, but I quite like the finish!
View attachment 368071

Hey man, you're the bees knees! Thanks for answering!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back