Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

one quick question. The new movie is about when the Very first Enterprise was built and sent into space rite? (After first contact was made [not the movie])
Not quite. From what I've read (and this seems to change depending on who's spreading the disinformation) this is supposed to be about the first mission of the NCC-1701 with Kirk as captain (though I don't think it's part of the "five-year mission" seen in the original series). If they're maintaining the currently established canon (which seems a bit doubtful at this point) Captain Pike was in command of the Enterprise before Kirk.

I think a lot of the animosity people are feeling toward the movie (vs some of our optimism for it) comes from different sets of priorities.

If your criteria for the film's success is how exact the designs match up to the original, you're going to be disappointed.

My personal love (and therefore my criteria for the new film) of Trek is the characters, and their relationships to each other. Kirk/Spock/McCoy is such an interesting dynamic, I can't wait to see what a fresh creative look will bring. Maybe it wont be effective, maybe it will, but that's my personal criteria.

That being said, calling this film soul-less sight unseen doesn't make much sense. Was the phaser the sould of Star Trek? No! It was darn cool, and I love the design of the original phaser.

But we haven't seen on iota of what will give this film it's soul.

Now, back to phasers. When the first pic is leaked, or released, we'll all have a lot more to talk about.

All all this complaint of it looking like a nebulizer...wasn't that design BASED on the faser? Long, rear fins "exhause", a grip that more forward than back, emitter ...

Ummm... no. This is a soulless remake of the original crew... the very first Enterprise built after First Contact was the NX-01. This about Kirk and company, flying around in some hollow copy of the original Enterprise carrying tricorders tinier than TNG tricorders and phasers that look like they're from Galaxy Quest.

...on the bright side I can take the ten bucks I would have spent on watching it and put it towards the AA tricorder when it finally becomes available.

I sincerely doubt JJ Abrams is making a souless film.

It may not be for you. It may not be what you want to see. But lets not act like they handed the film off to some schmuck who can't tell a story, and has no reverence for the series. It could be a whole lot worse.

Read the EW piece. You might be surprised by what you learn about the new film, and how much the writers, and director love the OS.

Or, maybe you'll just keep on hating it. God knows I understand your point of view. For me, the new Conan reboot is the same thing.

But I'm looking forward to JJ's Star Trek, and I can't wait to see it.

The new phasers are going to be everyones favorite new prop soon enough I bet.

Iphone tricorders are to be expected. Some of the ST tech was already looking like Iphones anyway.

While no, I personally haven't seen the film, friends of mine were lucky enough to attend that Bad Robot preview screening Kevin Smith was at, said they loved it - it was fun, adventurous, and while the effects weren't complete, what they did see was pretty kick ass. Since these are folks I hold in high regard for their movie taste, at the very least I'm willing to reserve pre-judgement until I get to see it for myself. That said, you're never going to make everyone happy - and I think everyone has something different they want, or different expectations from a Trek film, or any film, but my own in opinion is that, by in large, most people will be pleasantly surprised...

I'm content to get some new Trek. And I am as positive about this movie as some seem to be negative. They wouldn't have lured Nimoy out of retirement if this film was written poorly. It's the story & acting that will make or break the film. Not the minutia of how the new phasers, tricorders or other things look.

I just don't understand why everyone's getting so worked up about a redesigned phaser. If I'm no mistaken, haven't there been around a dozen different phaser (not in cluding rifles or minor changes like TMP/WOK) through the various series and films? There's more in life to worry and care about than whether the phasers look anything like the originals. Go spend some time with your wives/gf.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new phasers look like, and I'm hoping it'll be sooner rather than later. Of course, they still haven't shown us the Enterprise yet, and I'm even more excited to see what they've done with the ship.

I think it must be an unenviable task to redesign these iconic props. Either you follow the original designs too closely and you come off as unimaginative, or drift too far and be called a heretic.

As for me, I don't expect anything in this new film to be an exact copy of the original, so I'm prepared to see phasers (and communicators and tricorders) that look different. Like nickytea said the quality of the film will hardly be decided by how strictly they copy the prop designs.

I just hope they put the right spirit back into Star Trek. I'm hoping to see the characters I like and the dynamic interplay that made them so likable in the best episodes of the original series. If they get that right, Kirk could be carrying a lightsaber for all I care...

And while I don't entirely understand all the hate vented towards a movie no one has seen yet, I have to say this new film is already performing as expected. Most Star Trek fans didn't like any of the previous Star Trek movies either...

I really think the 1701 is gonna be heavily based on Gabe's concept. I saw in Borders not too long ago and I was flipping through a book called something like "Ships of Starfleet" and Gabe's 1701 was included.

koernersotlug3.jpg

This is the same image they have in the book.

A buddy of mine just sent me this.

trekXI.jpg

He said it's based on some of the descriptions floating around. God, I hope it looks nothing like that.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back