Star Trek Picard Season Three

Complaints about the pump action phasers -
I'm probably reading too much into it, but I had the impression that the amount of pumping correlated to the amount of damage that rifle did.
Pump once, and she hit the intruder, causing what one may call "regular" damage.
Pump twice - that's going full Commander Kruge on the unfortunate target.
But, again, I have no idea. Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there.

Most of us assume that its Picard's son, but what if there's another explanation?
View attachment 1671122

Well, my understanding is that accents are not genetically inherited and must be learned by children as they grow up—my family members living in Texas prove this point, for me ;) —and “Nu-David Marcus” speaks with a British accent.

Given that Beverly is not British, it occurs to me that that the father MUST have been around when “Nu-David Marcus” was raised.

So, perhaps this guy isn’t the S.O.P.?

Interesting.

img_1_1676735996200.jpg

I think the pendulum swings on these shows. They go woke, go broke, and then they swing to fan service to the max. I'm a fan of Tos and Tng, so serve me wenches, lol.

Spousal conflict, parent/child conflict, Lore confirmed and slicin'-n-dicin' Worf (taking over from Elnore I guess).

Well, my understanding is that accents are not genetically inherited and must be learned by children as they grow up—my family members living in Texas prove this point, for me ;) —and “Nu-David Marcus” speaks with a British accent.

Given that Beverly is not British, it occurs to me that that the father MUST have been around when “Nu-David Marcus” was raised.

So, perhaps this guy isn’t the S.O.P.?
Reminds me of Counselor Troi's accent - at first, I assumed her accent was a Betazoid accent, but when her mother showed up, I assumed it was her father's. Then her father showed up with an American accent, so I assumed it was Marina Sirtis's natural accent. Then I heard her British accent in interviews and I was baffled.
I only recently looked up why she sound the way she did, turns out she was asked to make up an exotic accent for Troi after they tried having Patrick Stewart do a French accent that went badly, so they didn't want two British accents in the cast. Sirtis was upset when they had her mother, then her father, use American accents, as it made her look foolish as an actress for having a weird accent. She gradually phased it out in the movies.

I find since 2009, all the reverence is gone.

Correct.

I say this not to bash on anyone enjoying this show, but...it remains clear to me that this is a dead franchise. The current showrunners are pathologically incapable of producing anything but clichéd or forced dreck, and/or wallowing in nostalgia and references to far better times.

I think that we all just love STAR TREK so gosh-darn much that many of us are unwilling to accept the full horror of what's happened to it, and what it's become. And are therefore receptive to anything that isn't being backhanded and spat in the face.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Counselor Troi's accent - at first, I assumed her accent was a Betazoid accent, but when her mother showed up, I assumed it was her father's. Then her father showed up with an American accent, so I assumed it was Marina Sirtis's natural accent. Then I heard her British accent in interviews and I was baffled.
I only recently looked up why she sound the way she did, turns out she was asked to make up an exotic accent for Troi after they tried having Patrick Stewart do a French accent that went badly, so they didn't want two British accents in the cast. Sirtis was upset when they had her mother, then her father, use American accents, as it made her look foolish as an actress for having a weird accent. She gradually phased it out in the movies.

The “Troi Accent” always sounded like speech that had been slowed down to 3/4 speed to me.

I find since 2009, all the reverence is gone.
This!
The lack of care, lack of understanding of, or, worse, total disinterest in, basic astronomy, lack of understanding how the in-universe tech works...

I remember that moment in the "Strange New Worlds" episode "The White Squall" when Pike gives orders to fire on the Enterprise's "impulse thrusters" - whatever that is, you'd have the impulse drive or the RC thrusters - and then seeing them clearly firing at the warp nacelles.
I know that is nitpicky AF, and, generally, I quite like ST:SNW, but that moment was atrocious. It's like watching "The Dukes of Hazzard" and them not being able to tell an engine from a car battery.

This season 3 feels more like Terry Matalas didn't try to overwrite canon, but rather to add to it.

L I
When the Drinker praises it you know there has to be something there. I was not a fan of seasons 1 and 2 but I really enjoyed the 1st episode and I’m really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
I generally respect his opinions. He’s a successful novelist who understands good storytelling. And I certainly did like episode 1. And James Cawley said the same thing last August at Trekconderoga—this is the sendoff the TNG cast never got. I’m looking forward to it.

L I

I generally respect his opinions. He’s a successful novelist who understands good storytelling. And I certainly did like episode 1. And James Cawley said the same thing last August at Trekconderoga—this is the sendoff the TNG cast never got. I’m looking forward to it.
I am still clinging on to a bit of hope. Then again, if the Drinker and Cawley both got to see the entire run…ahem…who gave them to them? And would it sway their opinions?

I am still clinging on to a bit of hope. Then again, if the Drinker and Cawley both got to see the entire run…ahem…who gave them to them? And would it sway their opinions?

I'm pretty sure Drinker and Nerdrotics were given early access thanks to Robert Burnett (presumably with Terry Matalas' blessings) since Rob knows them well and streams with them often. I wish RLM got early access too though; I've been following their Trek reviews since Generations and they're always wildly entertaining.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back