Limited Run Star Trek (Stapleton) Mark VII Medical Tricorder Electronics Upgrade - New Photos!

gmprops

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Everyone!

By now a lot of you have heard about the new Mark VII Medical tricorder kit that is going to be released within the next couple of weeks by Stapleton Productions. It is one of the best kits Myron has ever created. As with all of his kits it has been created with the highest quality using pressure cast resin. The kit parts are virtually bubble free and require a minimal amount of prep work before assembling and painting.

M7M-2016-02.jpgM7M-2016-01.jpgM7M-2016-03.jpg

Of course, there are electronics for this kit as well. Originally, I was going to use the same electronics I designed for the Roddenberry kits several years ago. But I decided to redesign the electronics to fit flawlessly into the new tricorder body kit. The new electronics now function exactly like the electronics used in the original screen used hero version. There is even a new electronics module for the hand scanner (the old version used a modified Mark X Medical scanner module). The main tricorder electronics runs on a single high capacity Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery.

M7M-01.jpg

I am now accepting pre-orders for the new electronics. The price: $165 shipped. But this is only available to RPF members. I will be doing a run of these electronics for RPF members first and will then be selling them on eBay for a higher price.

If you would like to get in on this limited run of Mark VII Medical tricorder electronics, simply make your payment through PayPal by clicking here.

All orders will begin shipping in September. Each order will be processed and shipped in the order they were received.

Thanks!

(To see the latest photos of the electronics inside finished "Hero" tricorders, go to the last page.)

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek (Stapleton) Mark VII Medical Tricorder Electronics Upgrade - New Run!

Another 2 sets of electronics has sold. I will be limiting the number of boards sold here on The RPF to 15.

Re: Star Trek (Stapleton) Mark VII Medical Tricorder Electronics Upgrade - New Run!

I am also taking orders for fully assembled versions of this tricorder. If you are interested in a completed tricorder please let me know by sending me a PM or contact me at gmros@cogeco.ca.

View attachment 656342

Still need a few more orders to get this run off the ground.

You know you have always wanted one of these tricorders for your collection. I can help you make this happen. I even have flexible payment plans available. Let me know soon.

MK7M-01.jpg

There are now only 10 spots left in this run. They are disappearing fast.

I will be uploading new pictures of the new tricorder kit very soon. Stay Tuned!

Here is the Mark VII Medical kit from Stapleton Productions.

M7M-2016-04.jpg

Gerry, thank you for doing these. I already have an order in to you, but out of curiosity, will the hand scanner's green LEDs be surface mount or through-hole rectangular LEDs?

I see that in this video of the Roddenberry version of the electronics the scanner array was made of through-hole rectangular LEDs, and real tombstone LEDs were used in the upper section -- is this still the case? I very much hope so :)

I also have a request - would it be possible to pick green surface mount LEDs that emit light that is a little less blue and a little more yellow for the Tricorder's power LEDs (above the F1/F2 decal) and, if applicable, the hand scanner array? It would be great if the color were a little closer to that of the Alpha/Beta/Delta/Gamma lights. It makes a big difference in the look of the prop :)

Gerry, thank you for doing these. I already have an order in to you, but out of curiosity, will the hand scanner's green LEDs be surface mount or through-hole rectangular LEDs?

I see that in this video of the Roddenberry version of the electronics the scanner array was made of through-hole rectangular LEDs, and real tombstone LEDs were used in the upper section -- is this still the case? I very much hope so :)

I also have a request - would it be possible to pick green surface mount LEDs that emit light that is a little less blue and a little more yellow for the Tricorder's power LEDs (above the F1/F2 decal) and, if applicable, the hand scanner array? It would be great if the color were a little closer to that of the Alpha/Beta/Delta/Gamma lights. It makes a big difference in the look of the prop :)

One of the great things about The RPF is that you can involve so many other talented prop people in the design stages of your project. Fortunately, I have not submitted the electronic CAD files to the circuit board manufacturer yet which means I can still make last minute changes. So suggestions that I receive here at this point can be implemented if it is possible.

In response to the green LEDs on the hand scanner: I am currently using modified scanner electronics from the Mark X Medical tricorder. The scanning LEDs are surface mounted, soldered to the board on their sides. As soon as I get the kit from Myron I will be designing a board specifically to fit his scanner. Even though there is more room inside this scanner body (as compared to the Mark X), it may not be possible to use the 2mm x 5mm rectangular green LEDs since it would make the installation procedure much more difficult. Both the Roddenberry scanner and Myron's scanner come with clear green inserts that can be glued in place before the electronics are installed. This makes it easier to install the electronics module since these "green windows" will be backlit by the green surface mounted LEDs inside. I will look to see if it is somehow possible to mount rectangular LEDs inside the scanner and let you know if it will work.

When I am designing electronics, I no longer try to make the circuit board as "screen accurate" as the tricorder itself. It is more important that the outside looks right since not too many people are going to ever see the insides. So if it is easier to use through-hole LEDs instead of surface mount then I will use them (like the Alpha to Gamma array). Otherwise, I will use surface mount and backlight the clear colored plastic that Myron provides with his kits. Using surface mounted LEDs also makes the installation of the circuit boards much easier, especially for prop builders that are not used to installing electronics in their builds.

The tombstone LEDs in this project are actually backlit clear plastic pieces provided with the kit. Anyone looking at the finished tricorder will not notice the difference. Again, I will look at the body kit that Myron sends me and see if real tombstone LEDs will work better and if the board will be just as easy to install.

I will look into the colors of the surface mounted LEDs as you have suggested. If I can do it I will use the correct colors wherever possible. But I am limited by budget and the choices available by my suppliers.

Thank you for looking into those points!

And totally agreed - if the scanner electronics won't fit into the casting with full size LEDs there's really no other option than surface mount. It's a tight squeeze already with just the surface mount LEDs!

When I am designing electronics, I no longer try to make the circuit board as "screen accurate" as the tricorder itself. It is more important that the outside looks right since not too many people are going to ever see the insides. So if it is easier to use through-hole LEDs instead of surface mount then I will use them (like the Alpha to Gamma array). Otherwise, I will use surface mount and backlight the clear colored plastic that Myron provides with his kits. Using surface mounted LEDs also makes the installation of the circuit boards much easier, especially for prop builders that are not used to installing electronics in their builds.

The tombstone LEDs in this project are actually backlit clear plastic pieces provided with the kit. Anyone looking at the finished tricorder will not notice the difference. Again, I will look at the body kit that Myron sends me and see if real tombstone LEDs will work better and if the board will be just as easy to install.

I have to respectfully disagree that there is no visual difference from the outside. The kit's lenses look very nice in a static build, but when backlit, while they still look good, it is difficult to make them have an entirely accurate look. For example, this science tricorder with surface mount LEDs with kit lens at top, and the other two are originals with through-hole LEDs:
28590287783_25367985ba_m.jpg

So the outside appearance of the prop can certainly be affected by substituting surface mount for traditional LEDs. If it's possible at all to use the traditional LEDs that would be my desire particularly since you nailed that part on the Roddenberry version :)

But yes if there is no room for traditional LEDs in the tricorder body then there's no option other than cast lenses and surface mount, and that's that. It will still look nice either way :)

Edit: PS I wanted to mention that in my experience through-hole LED boards are much easier to install than surface mount - during installation there is no possible way for the lights to be misaligned with the openings in the casting, because the lights are physically IN the holes. They also don't require light bleed gasketing.

Last edited:

I agree with Ethan, when it comes to surface mount LEDs there can be a lot of light bleed compared to using isolated contained individual LEDs which is my preference.
Also matching the true flip-flop of the LEDs is something I prefer as opposed to the sequencing of the those front 2 LEDs on the Mark VII tricorder.

All that being said, this hobby and namely Star Trek prop kits would be missing that extra special touch that Gerry's boards have brought to the table over the last 15+ or so years!
Thank you Gerry.:thumbsup :)

Okay, those are very valid arguments. Light bleed between LEDs is a huge thorn in my side when I design these electronics. Even the original hero versions suffered from this problem. Clear light definitions are always more visually appealing than light bleed. But from a design perspective it is something that is very difficult to avoid. In many cases I have designed my circuits with through-hole LEDs that work very well and do not require any masking or "gasketing"; however, when it came to installing the boards, the through-hole LEDs made it more difficult due to space limitations. On the other hand, as Ethan mentioned, boards utilizing low profile surface mounted LEDs are not always easy to align to backlight their plastic inserts.

As far as the Mark VII Medical electronics go, I will do my best to accommodate the best of both lighting methods mentioned. The main board around the viewscreen will still be identical to the Mark VII Science version, with all through-hole LEDs being used. The door board will utilize a surface mounted LED to backlight the EMRG button. But I will have to carefully consider the LEDs I will use for the medical extension; if it is possible to use through hole LEDs then I will do so. But space is very limited and I may be forced to use surface mounts backlighting Myron's colored clear greeblies. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Really good of you to take on this feedback! :thumbsup I did wonder about how to fit tombstones into a resin cast top section, if surface mounts are all that work then that works for me.

I think I might have already asked but is there going to be an option to change the direction of the scroll on the A, B, D, G lights?

Thank you!

I think I might have already asked but is there going to be an option to change the direction of the scroll on the A, B, D, G lights?

Thank you!

Yes, I am keeping those options. There will be an internal set of switches, just like in the science version, to change the direction of the Alpha to Gamma array. I watched a lot of TNG episodes and I found more scenes showing the array running from Gamma to Alpha then the other way. However, Season 1 and 2 used the Mark VI medical tricorder and the lights always ran from Alpha to Gamma. But I have not checked all of the episodes, so I could be wrong. It is still nice to be able to change the direction of this array, plus change the speed. The speed pot will still be accessible as well.

View attachment 657936

Blimey - that's very comprehensive. Great news!

Does anyone have reference showing the medical tricorder version of the sequence for the green array in the scanner pocket? I've seen other medical Mk VII replicas do left-to-right or right-to-left scrolling by pairs (1+5, 2+6, 3+7, 4+8, repeat), rather than outwards from center but can't remember when it is visible in the show to verify. There are a couple of screen used medical tricorder videos on youtube but I haven't found one that shows the green array.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back