Star Wars Ahsoka (tv series)

Yeah... I'm not coming across like I'd like to. I completely agree that there's an opinion component to critique & criticism, but the "I don't like it or care about it, therefore it's just BAD" is more what I was referring to. That tends to be one of my pet peeves, along with the other two that tend to crop up...

"If you like what I don't, then you're just mindlessly taking in content"

&

"WE can't have good (inset franchise here) content because YOU openly like/support what WE'VE deemed crap"

I too had a long post typed up, but I was just restating what I've shared earlier. My personal problem is I tend to dismiss a critique or criticism when it's been stated that the commenter cared nothing about the characters, the story, nor the story before it even started, but that's something that I have to get over.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just trying to enjoy it with others that do as well.

I've removed the hand set from its cradle a long time ago with this series...unplugged I am (in Yoda's voice):p
I had the bad idea to go to my friend, last night, to watch the last one and, as others, I wasn't really impressed by the whole thing.
If I judge a movie/series by its small details (because those only were very good/impressive) then I tend to not appreciate the "Whole" of what the story and characters are all about. Again; no feelings about the characters in general or story for that matter.

Not really getting the :

1695399239703.png

With the face of a:

1695399301204.png

And the eyes of a :

1695399458549.png

If they show these guys next, I wouldn't be surprised:lol::lol::

1695399691148.png

I have seen Rebels and the Clone Wars series and i have seen the same things Bloop is stating. I mentioned it in an earlier post. after about episode 3.

Has the show gotten better? I would argue episode 4 was not better than the first 3.. only difference was some action sequences arrived, and the scene with Skoll. I think Skoll is the only human character (separating from droid characters) who is in any tone interesting. The droids carry more interest than the other characters. I gave episode 4 a moderate 4/10.

How about episode 5? Was it better all around? I would give episode 5 a 7/10 so yes it was a little better. So why only a 7? There is actually something happening here. There were a few scenes that were good for movement, there was a little better dialogue ( i say a little and i mean a little), and other spoiler type things i will leave but those who have seen it know what happened.

As it sits now, you could totally start the series in Episode 5 and not have missed a plot point at all. They did this with other series they have made on plus so its not a surprise they have a half-series foundation that means nothing and is slow and uninteresting to watch.

I assume, now that we have gotten to the meat of the series, the rest is going to be watchable and going somewhere. However, i know they are driving toward doing a film, at least that is the buzz, so i dont expect to see any kind of resolution to this larger story outside of a close-out to the series that makes you feel likeyou have some kind of character resolution..?
I have a feeling its going to be a unification of the main cast and a larger defining of the true enemy and some lesser enemies might be destroyed or cast off in some kind of escape or prevention action, and Ahsoka will have to be the one who is the focus of the victory - or the non-loss, but the larger force will end up making their way to the SW galaxy in the same sort of fashion that Thrawn and Ezra disappeared in the end of Rebels. (Since they love doing homages to previous series for everything this is almost forseeable)

Forseeable is teh key to everything Star Wars now.. with exception of the Visions stuff thats actually somewhat unique.

So since this series is "Ahsoka".. what is her purpose? So far she has none, shes just literally along for the ride with her arms folded until she is needed at the crux for the good ones to survive the end. She just seems to be the self-imposed gangleader, or the greatest backstory of who is left, again, like Luke in hiding... but is she just involved because jedi? or because she was the great character in the CW and everyone loved her then? She will no doubt be some catalyst to the end game, but so far she has been nothing. If you cut her out, this is just a Rebels live series without Zeb. She's the Luke character in the last trilogy except smug and uncaring and arrogant and boring. Quite frankly, she was boring in Mando as well.. she just happened to have a good episode where she was active, and when she wasnt talking she was pretty good.

They really need to stop using Anakin... hes older and they cannot make him look younger for some reason. They might as well just recast him.

Overall, i still give this series a 4/10 as a whole. I know its bound to get better and action will abound.. thats how these plus series have been in the past and this one has proven no different so far. They want people to be excited about all this new content, but you have to sit and watch someone sitting and drinking tea for 4 episodes while flashing back and brooding over some problem to "understand what is going on". All the while they get to use all the cool catch phrases everyone knows is coming. Its actually quite funny if you think about it. They have no idea that all the fans know exactly where they will use the phrases.. you can see them being set up a mile away. BUT some on social media eat. it. up. like they just witnessed Elvis shake his hips for the 1000th time, and Disney loves those fans who cannot be more excited about a droid saying "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...."

Key word....almost....

I recently watched The Empires Strikes Back again ("unaltered edition for the first time, yay!). Every time I watch that film as an adult I'm blown away by how good that film is. It's masterpiece. Music, special effects, acting, writing, everything....

Maybe we should hold the rest of the Star Wars content up to that film for comparison. That film should set the bar.
ESB is perfection in every way. My favorite piece of Star Wars media by far. That seems like a really high bar. It's a top 100 film of all time. There are Best Picture winners that would fall short of that bar if that was our only standard. That is part of the reason the entire OT is so special to me. It's lightning in a bottle. A moment in time when everything converged into perfection. If that was easy to replicate, they would mean far less as they'd be just another film trilogy.

I definitely hope we get something as incredible as ESB at some point in the future. That would be amazing. I just think it will take a special kind of magic and the stars aligning for that to happen.

Does anyone else get a “return to oz” feel when watching this last episode?
Yeah, I know what you mean. Return to Oz mixed a very dark and tense atmosphere with wonderful fantasy and whimsy. It was equal parts unsettling and fun. This episode was similar in that tone. All the scenes with the Great Mothers, Thrawn, Enoch, and the Night Troopers were unsettling. Thrawn's whispery voice, the witches, dark magic, zombie troopers and the score gave it a very creepy, unnatural vibe.

Then you had several fantastical elements mixed in with that, where we get a lot of new creatures, armor, and prop designs crammed into a single episode. You had the wolf mount, which felt very Lord of the Rings-ish. You had the Samurai-inspired nomad creatures. Then you had the Jim Henson type Noki creatures, with a more light-hearted, silly style. Then you had Enoch with a bold Romanesque design. Even though it's pretty much a 1:1 inspiration from Roman helmets, it also felt like exactly the type of design you'd see in 80s fantasy films. Then you had the Night Troopers and Great Mothers, which felt like they had more of a horror-styled inspiration. The fact that the designs all felt somewhat different from each other in inspiration made it feel bigger and even more varied.

I'm probably way over-thinking it, but when you said that, it made me dig into my thoughts on both a bit more.

Chiming in as I've sworn off this colon blow of a show, a friend suggested I watch YouTube videos of reactors reacting and it's hilarious. The acting on those reacts is usually better than the acting on this show. Wonder what they are getting paid as many don't even seem to know what they are watching or what came before.
It's like watching a manic depressive mother in law as a professional soccer player. Every hit is at 11.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Return to Oz mixed a very dark and tense atmosphere with wonderful fantasy and whimsy. It was equal parts unsettling and fun. This episode was similar in that tone. All the scenes with the Great Mothers, Thrawn, Enoch, and the Night Troopers were unsettling. Thrawn's whispery voice, the witches, dark magic, zombie troopers and the score gave it a very creepy, unnatural vibe.

Then you had several fantastical elements mixed in with that, where we get a lot of new creatures, armor, and prop designs crammed into a single episode. You had the wolf mount, which felt very Lord of the Rings-ish. You had the Samurai-inspired nomad creatures. Then you had the Jim Henson type Noki creatures, with a more light-hearted, silly style. Then you had Enoch with a bold Romanesque design. Even though it's pretty much a 1:1 inspiration from Roman helmets, it also felt like exactly the type of design you'd see in 80s fantasy films. Then you had the Night Troopers and Great Mothers, which felt like they had more of a horror-styled inspiration. The fact that the designs all felt somewhat different from each other in inspiration made it feel bigger and even more varied.

I'm probably way over-thinking it, but when you said that, it made me dig into my thoughts on both a bit more.
Never ending story vibes as well

Never ending story vibes as well
The 80s was such a good era for fantasy. It felt like it was bursting with imagination. I go back and watch movies like Return to Oz, Neverending Story, Labyrinth, and Legend and those practical effects, makeup, and worlds they built hold up. And obviously the OT is the king daddy of that era. It really helps transport me to another place, and even when they are goofy, they have a certain charm that I love which is hard to replicate in CGI.

For any flaws, the latest episode of Ahsoka made me feel like I was transported somewhere else. Not on the same scale of the stuff I mentioned, but it had a similar charm in a way I haven't seen in Star Wars in awhile. Which is probably why I'm so positive on it.

Maybe they can do a cross over where Baylan is looking for Darkness, so we can go full gothic horror for Star Wars. :devil::p

c221c586046149bf2b3cc43092ead5ac.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back