Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Yeah it was super cheesy that they apparently had an identical ship exactly behind the decoy ship and Vader somehow couldn't tell or even sense it. I am glad it was only a small transport he was holding back and not something more grandiose. I always thought a lot of depictions (esp in videogames like The Force Unleashed) where massive ships are brought to heel undermined Yoda's scene in TESB where lifting a mere X-wing was meant to be an amazing feat. It's still one of my favorite SW scenes ever.

The throwaway line that explained the Grand Inquisitor's miraculous survival was terrible. I guess Qui-gon was just a chump, dying from what's apparently a shockingly common and survivable lightsaber impaling.

I would brag about predicting Reva's little twist early on but let's face it, it was pretty obvious it'd be something like that.

I'd been fairly content with Vader's portrayal in this show so far, but he just felt "off" in this episode, including his voice. I will say I have noticed a few times in the show where he appears to have the "no-neck" look, up til now only seen in TESB when he has his helmet lowered onto him to speak with Admiral Piett.

The flashbacks with Ewan and Hayden were neat and I had assumed the show would've been filled with these little moments from their past. Super weird they decided to go with a AOTC-era flashback though and not deage a 40yo Hayden to better represent a 18-20yo kid. I will say I like the look of a more aged Hayden and wish he had been older in the PT.

Bail's message to Obi-wan was an incredibly stupid move and this show certainly has not done his character much justice. He is coming across as incompetent at best.

All in all, not an episode I hated but it was entirely "shruggable", like all the others. Just milquetoast all around and not the "A-team" effort I would've hoped for if they just had to do this show in the first place.

I wasn't sure what about the series frustrated me and it was only when I watched Ghostbusters Afterlife the other night that I realised what it is - they haven't captured the DNA of Star Wars, something that GB (for me) did in spades.

Besides the lazy storytelling and some dreary set pieces, the ship design, pallet colors and most of the sets are way off RmQ and Joe Johnston's original designs IMO and so while it evokes some of the original trilogy, it doesn't capture the essence or the DNA of the original films. Rogue One was far closer for me so its very surprising that the design and concepts for Kenobi have been so far off the mark.

For me Jason Reitman went all out to try and plug into the original GB DNA but the crew at Lucasfilm and Disney+ didn't somehow know how important that element is to the series.

View attachment 1587787

This thread is hilarious....
troll.jpg

...oh and, can they make Bail Organa any more of a dipstick? This maybe one of the best examples of bad writing if I ever saw it.

1st thing: " Sorry Obi-Wan I know that Luke and Leia are ..ahem...pretty important and I agreed to be her father and watch over her but I, sort of lost her and now I want to make things worse by coming all the way to Tatoinne to expose you and pull you away from Luke because ...I'M AN IDIOT!!!
And now I've made you the bigger fool by your own words. " who is a bigger fool, the fool or the fool that follows him?"

2nd: " oh, Obi-Wan, I'm scared...you haven't called or texted in like, a few days...and I know by sending this transmission I'm risking yours and Anakins twin kids, Leia and Luke...oops, sorry for that...and that Luke is on Tatooine, damn!! I keep giving vital information knowing big brother is watching...oh, btw...make sure you don't give this transmitter to some random guy you haven't known for very long, nor your lightsaber because he might realize he drops it and doesn't go back to pick it up. Oh, please Obi-Wan, I hope the " both" of you are safe...when and if you " both" return make sure to bring back "both" the brains we left back in the other series."

Seriously!!! The sloppiest writing and man, talk about making two loved characters look completely stupid...but thankfully we have competent females with backbones that will be the heroes in this series...Little Leia, the Imperial woman(can't remember her name) and Reva ( surviving two times by Lightsaber stabs) who will obviously play a role in " saving Luke" from detection since Obi-Wan and Bail Organa ( the two originally responsible parties) are portrayed as utter failures have failed to do.
The Bail ramble sort of reminded me of the Mike ‘answering machine bit’ in Swingers.

(Edit) And Obi Wan only played the first message of 20. And use more than one level of authentication on your communicators so things like that are less likely…but the bit was needed to move the story along.

Vader taking that ship apart (literally) was something I loved, the training scenes were good too.

Last edited:
Confessions of a middle aged Star Wars Fan

Good morning Star Wars fans of all shapes and sizes, Pt's, OT's and ST's
Mando's, Boba's and Kenobi's...

I've done a lot of thinking last night...about the truth.
The truth about how i feel about Star Wars...
Why i feel it, and what makes me tick about it.
What irritates me about it, why i love it, you get the picture.
I only tell you because i know i'm not alone...
I'm not bigger, better, smarter, wiser or in any way, more right than any of you.
I'm just a fan...that's all. I like what i like, as you do.

Star Wars(The OT) was lightning in a bottle. I believe that.
The original cast believed that because it was, just that.
The truth i came to last night is that "The magic of Star Wars"
is NOT gone for me.
But it is still contained within the OT.
Outside of it, the magic is gone...or atleast i thought it was until Mando
came on.
I can be a hypocrite...I don't want anyone to touch my precious OT characters
but admittedly, when i saw Luke Skywalker pop back on screen in Mandalorian
I got really choked up because it brought me back in time to a feeling i haven't experienced
since.
So yes, i wanted my cake and eat it too.

Truth be told, the bar is set really high in my mind and even though i know Star Wars will never be what it was to me as a kid,
I still compare everything that comes out to the OT.
I thought last night about kids that grew up in the PT time and my own son who really likes the current stuff(Except the ST...sorry)
and how these memories are what they will be carrying forward.
To quote Mikey from Goonies, "Up there it's their time, down here it's our time" (paraphrased).

I have to admit that "my time" is over and i have to come to terms with that...yep, my heart is stuck in the 80s lol
I don't want to let go...because it feels like i'm letting go a piece of myself and letting it die.
dying to self is not easy...impossible in your own strength.
With that i must say i still get great enjoyment out of seeing my son get excited for Star Wars even though, for me it's blah...lol

I'm not trying to be funny when i say this but i must say that i cannot allow myself to sour the taste for others any longer and
i truly apologize for admittedly being a little over bearing and negative. I don not know all of you personally but i know you
all must love Star Wars or else you wouldn't be here. My love for Star Wars is not superior to yours .
Again, this is a personal conviction on my part, not to cut anyone else down that has strong opinions either way.
I honestly wish all of us here could buy this franchise because it's US that really care about it and will give it proper treatment.

With that i apologize again if i have caused any other fan distaste and even though i believe EVERY fan has a voice, i also believe that i have the freedom to use some restraint and not be completely selfish(pointing finger at me).

I do wonder why they didn't de-age Hayden. His middle-age appearance, looking older than Ewan, was a little jarring.

I also think they made Vader too powerful. If a lightsaber swing can be stopped/frozen in mid-air or countered by a hand alone, and a person continuously backed away using the Force, then why would there ever be lightsaber fights between Force-users?

Overall, I don't hate the show. But its production value seems to be half that of the Mandalorian. And while I understand the decision to make a serialized TV-based story for Mando, I can't believe that they wouldn't invest the extra $$$ for a story heavily featuring Vader and Ewan and release it on the big screen.

The throwaway line that explained the Grand Inquisitor's miraculous survival was terrible. I guess Qui-gon was just a chump, dying from what's apparently a shockingly common and survivable lightsaber impaling.
In the same movie Maul gets chopped in half, falls 20 or more stories, and lives.
So ya, I'd say he was a chump.

I also think they made Vader too powerful.
Isn't that his whole thing though? He's the chosen one. His midichlorians are off the scale. He's able to defeat Palpatine.
Is he not the most powerful force user ever?

Confessions of a middle aged Star Wars Fan

Good morning Star Wars fans of all shapes and sizes, Pt's, OT's and ST's
Mando's, Boba's and Kenobi's...

I've done a lot of thinking last night...about the truth.
The truth about how i feel about Star Wars...
Why i feel it, and what makes me tick about it.
What irritates me about it, why i love it, you get the picture.
I only tell you because i know i'm not alone...
I'm not bigger, better, smarter, wiser or in any way, more right than any of you.
I'm just a fan...that's all. I like what i like, as you do.

Star Wars(The OT) was lightning in a bottle. I believe that.
The original cast believed that because it was, just that.
The truth i came to last night is that "The magic of Star Wars"
is NOT gone for me.
But it is still contained within the OT.
Outside of it, the magic is gone...or atleast i thought it was until Mando
came on.
I can be a hypocrite...I don't want anyone to touch my precious OT characters
but admittedly, when i saw Luke Skywalker pop back on screen in Mandalorian
I got really choked up because it brought me back in time to a feeling i haven't experienced
since.
So yes, i wanted my cake and eat it too.

Truth be told, the bar is set really high in my mind and even though i know Star Wars will never be what it was to me as a kid,
I still compare everything that comes out to the OT.
I thought last night about kids that grew up in the PT time and my own son who really likes the current stuff(Except the ST...sorry)
and how these memories are what they will be carrying forward.
To quote Mikey from Goonies, "Up there it's their time, down here it's our time" (paraphrased).

I have to admit that "my time" is over and i have to come to terms with that...yep, my heart is stuck in the 80s lol
I don't want to let go...because it feels like i'm letting go a piece of myself and letting it die.
dying to self is not easy...impossible in your own strength.
With that i must say i still get great enjoyment out of seeing my son get excited for Star Wars even though, for me it's blah...lol

I'm not trying to be funny when i say this but i must say that i cannot allow myself to sour the taste for others any longer and
i truly apologize for admittedly being a little over bearing and negative. I don not know all of you personally but i know you
all must love Star Wars or else you wouldn't be here. My love for Star Wars is not superior to yours .
Again, this is a personal conviction on my part, not to cut anyone else down that has strong opinions either way.
I honestly wish all of us here could buy this franchise because it's US that really care about it and will give it proper treatment.

With that i apologize again if i have caused any other fan distaste and even though i believe EVERY fan has a voice, i also believe that i have the freedom to use some restraint and not be completely selfish(pointing finger at me).
Its all good. Thanks for posting this.

I grew up with the OT, my memory is hazy of the theatrical releases, but like you said, 70s and 80s forever :)

Prequels - doesnt matter what my thoughts are, whats happened, happened. Time moves on. Stood in long lines for the special edition in the theaters, the prequels, and thought it was done and dusted.

ST arrives, and watched them all, win or lose from my worldview.

[edit] Rogue One - I apologize to all the people where I suggested they should see it once its released (especially ones with kids, i really didnt know since it was still in production!). Still an awesome movie, and shows that Vader has some really precise lightsaber techniques, but i digress ;)

Like you, this is a community, everyone is welcome. Look at reddit or any other board, and you will see different opinions, but in the end, there is something for someone. and thats why I wear my ESB snowspeeder pilot and imperial officer costumes to this day at least once a year.

Last edited:
Also, on the negativity, I get that this can detract from some folks' enjoyment, which is why I try not to go overboard with expressing my gripes.

But Mando proved that the rpf community in general does not have impossible standards. Though it had some detractors, the overwhelming majority liked it, demonstrating that it IS possible to please long-time fans with good stories, characters, and effects.

Well I imagine that anger, hatred, and revenge play a role in being able to survive. So it would be something only a dark side user could pull off. Also it helps that canonically, his species has two stomachs.

Also, on the negativity, I get that this can detract from some folks' enjoyment, which is why I try not to go overboard with expressing my gripes.

But Mando proved that the rpf community in general does not have impossible standards. Though it had some detractors, the overwhelming majority liked it, demonstrating that it IS possible to please long-time fans with good stories, characters, and effects.
Exactly, don't you feel like it's harder to move on and accept "new" things when they are consistently using "old" characters and changing them? We can all move on together as a fan base if they would come up with something new and original without using any character ties to the OT. Just my opinion. I really like Mandalorian but now i'm a little on edge because of the use of all these other charcters that are very "familiar" to us. Can we let this generation fall in love with new characters and especially, new story lines? Just a thought. The bridge has been laid, we all see it...it's time to cross it now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back