star wars paint questions

ItalianNinja86

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Probably silly but I have models of both Vaders tie fighter and a star

destroyer and was wondering what the correct color paints were for both

Check the star wars wikia and the newest Guide to Ships. Despite appearances on screen, or even in photos, the SD's were, according to the EU novels, originally painted a bone white- they look a LOT greyer in pictures, tho, don't they? The TIE's were a combination of grey(s) and black. If these are box models,, like from Revell, the base color of the plastic is never even close, but does make a decent base coat color, saving you some primer work. Years ago, when I was making models, I got to the point that I didn't even pop the pieces from the sprue tree before painting parts in the correct colors, after seperating by color needs, of course. Then all I had to do was touch up spots where the flash and sprue were removed, and I could then do framing on clear parts with the touch up paint, since it was out.

The SD is gray in person as well. Although its very light. Its similar to the light gray of the Falcon. Although the ANH SD is lighter then the 8 footer from ESB...

The Vader ship is a blue gray color. Here are some reference pics I took at the MoM in brooklyn back in 2000

www.studioscale.com

Jedi Dade

Often the SD is refered to as white, and that is what it looks like to me, bone white.

Vaders TIE is gray with a hint of blue, but not as blue as the TIEs in the sequels.
Heres a picture of a original TIE hatch from ANH, and its the same color as the Vader TIE.

(Picture originally posted by Resinillumitati member GKvfx)

attachment.php

Hope that helps.

I have a question kinda related to this post, I have recently inquired about a solo in carbonate and i was wondering the paint used, or something close and maybe a good technique for painting

As mentioned you'll have to decide if you want to go for that on-screen look or not. The original miniatures featured railroad colors from floquil. A few known matches...

X Wing red stripes:
Caboose Red

Falcon 'rust' panels:
So. Freight Car Brown

My money is on Reefer White for the SD. Though, it is rumored the X Wings started as primer right out of the can.

That being said; do what looks right to your eye!:thumbsup

EDIT: And the elusive blue/grey of the ANH TIEs was a pactra color, discontinued for some time. There are modern testors close-enoughs. Check the Studio Scale section... its in there somewhere.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple SD models at exhibits and have yet to see a white one. They all look like they are light ghost gray or just light gray.

I was informed that the star destroyer studio model was painted with Krylon White, i assume that it discoloured over time.

I mixed a 7:1 ratio of Model Master Flat White (FS37875) with Model Master Light Gray (FS36495) and I received a shade that really looks close to the reference images that I have. I painted the main engines and the two hangers of my ISD build and I'm very happy with.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised you got a close match with a grey and white mix- while they don't pin down exactly what a "bone white" is, I would imagine that it would be a grey tinted white, or a really, really light grey.

I don't know if that Krylon statement was true or not, but I know from my own use of Krylon Appliance White to touch up appliances, that it stays a nice, clean looking, bright white for a very long time. That said, I haven't been tracking every repair job for thirty plus years, either, so there may be a timeframe where it does start to break down in color.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back