Starfighter parts ?

bwayne64

Master Member
Does anyone know these parts, I think the Top red circled parts are some sort of manifold/ Intake. Have no idea on the green ones. Any help will be appreciated, ; )

Thunder Lips.jpg

Thanks guys ! You always come through. I have both kits. Don't know how I missed that Flak 52 part. I just looked at that kit scan today. Getting old, LOL. Thanks again : )

Joe

Made a rough draft of the Flak 52 part. It almost looks too clean. May have to add more detail, if I ever build a larger version on the Starfighter. I think primer and paint might rough it up a bit. Still looking for the other part. I looked through the McLaren kit, but didn't see it. I'll look at it again later. It kinda looks like they may have put the part in wrong side out. Hard to tell with the pictures I have.

Ah 52 Render.jpg

Ah 52 Render 2.jpg

Got another one roughed out. Will need to subdivide it for printing. Just a rough draft, as it were. Let me know if something is flubbed up. My eyes start to cross after a few hours, looking at those little vertices, ; )

Mclaren Part 1.jpg

Mclaren Part 2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice modelling Joe!

I can't get over how much they chop up that McLaren piece. That's next level stuff right there.

Nice modelling Joe!

I can't get over how much they chop up that McLaren piece. That's next level stuff right there.
Thanks man. Took me a few hours, cause I have to do things several times, lol. I'll forget something, model for an hour, then go ah sheet, gotta do it again.

Thanks man. Took me a few hours, cause I have to do things several times, lol. I'll forget something, model for an hour, then go ah sheet, gotta do it again.
Ha, we have all been there!

I printed a few Centurion parts a while back and didn't realise until some time later that one of the parts was nowhere near as high as I had modelled it. Had to go back and redo.
I think it was just a simple matter of entering the wrong number in the CAD program at the time.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 2.18.27 pm.png

That's the one big thing with 3D printing. It relies 100% on the attention of the modeller to check that they have captured the geometry of the part faithfully. If we're that way inclined.... which I am :rolleyes:

You guys have my respect. I can barely model simple shapes. Lol
Well when you think about it, all shapes are just simple shapes smashed together. I've seen people make models on Tinkercad that would fry my brain. It helps that I've been working in Lightwave since the late 80s. Well there was a program called Imagine that I used before that. I remember rendering an apple in Lightwave and showed it to my girlfriend. She was like, big deal its a picture of an apple. I tried to explain Ray tracing and vertices and polygons. She wasn't getting it. I was so disappointed, lol. My problem is going from the computer to real life models. Then you go from clean structured, virtual pixels, to messy, smelly resin and gooey silicone. It's easier now with 3d printers. Hope to finally get a resin printer for Christmas this year. Been working with an Ender 3 for about two years. I love that little sucker, but hate sanding layer lines. Oh well, gotta get back at it. I'm cleaning up those two parts and subdividing it for smoother curves. Thanks guys,

Joe

You're old Joe :p

I was introduced to Cadkey in early 90's and then got into AutoCad, CATIA, Solidworks and Rhino over the years since. It's all just practice, practice, practice.

You're old Joe :p

I was introduced to Cadkey in early 90's and then got into AutoCad, CATIA, Solidworks and Rhino over the years since. It's all just practice, practice, practice.
Yea almost old enough to start drawing from my IRA, yay ! If there's anything still in it, lol. Yea I need to switch over to a more 3d print friendly software. Lightwave isn't really made for that. It's great for making tv shows and such, but trying to get accurate dimensions to and from it, is a pain. I can make it work, but there are easier ways. I have worked with Fusion 360, and the price for the hobbyist version is in my budget, ; )

Made a rough draft of the Flak 52 part. It almost looks too clean. May have to add more detail, if I ever build a larger version on the Starfighter. I think primer and paint might rough it up a bit. Still looking for the other part. I looked through the McLaren kit, but didn't see it. I'll look at it again later. It kinda looks like they may have put the part in wrong side out. Hard to tell with the pictures I have.

View attachment 1636394

View attachment 1636395

Oh, hello fellow LightWave user!

Yea almost old enough to start drawing from my IRA, yay ! If there's anything still in it, lol. Yea I need to switch over to a more 3d print friendly software. Lightwave isn't really made for that. It's great for making tv shows and such, but trying to get accurate dimensions to and from it, is a pain. I can make it work, but there are easier ways. I have worked with Fusion 360, and the price for the hobbyist version is in my budget, ; )
I would like to make the jump to Fusion but I just can't go down that hole yet. From what I have seen, it is excellent.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back