Starship Troopers Armor

thorssoli

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've finally decided to tackle this project that's been on my bucket list for quite some time. Using a set of screen-used armor as a template, I've been making a new set of masters and I'll be molding them shortly. I started with the lower back section, then the waist/belly section, and I'll be knocking out the chest/shoulders in the coming week. Here's a few progress photos:
53534494375_bc4c4a2d75_c.jpg

53534267289_132bcd25af_c.jpg

53533952036_e1e9980770_c.jpg

53548101573_4fa9f40911_c.jpg

53547091569_e6cfa3832c_c.jpg

I'll be putting in an order to have the little metal strap plates cut out of steel to match the brackets riveted on to hold the straps in place. Kits will include all of the necessary nylon webbing and plastic buckles and sliders. The armor itself will be cast in a durable urethane foam pigmented to match the color of the armor set I have here in hand and backed with fabric for added durability.

I will also be offering helmets once I finish the masters. Those kits will include the chin strap.

Raw cast armor kits will be $350 plus shipping without the helmet and $500 plus shipping with the helmet. I'll need a non-refundable 50% deposit in order to add you to the list. The final 50% plus shipping will be due when your kit is ready to ship.

Once I have the molds finished and post photos of the first set of castings, I will be raising the price. So get in early and save some money.

If you'd like to get in on this run, post a comment below and I'll PM you with payment details.

Progress has begun on the third and final section of the armor:
53564548973_f91b74ffca_c.jpg

If you'd like to get in on this run, post a comment below and I'll PM you with payment details.

Hi,
I have searched a bit and couldn't find another thread with the helmet, but I see you are working on it on that last post.
Are you offering a helmet cast from an original helmet? I would be interested in one if that is the case, just the helmet, not the armour, don't have the space for it, sorry.
thank you :)

Hi,
I have searched a bit and couldn't find another thread with the helmet, but I see you are working on it on that last post.
Are you offering a helmet cast from an original helmet? I would be interested in one if that is the case, just the helmet, not the armour, don't have the space for it, sorry.
thank you :)
I'm starting with a screen-used B-grade helmet, then sharpening the edges and straightening out any of the wobbly bits to make an idealized, symmetrical version without any of the defects that came up on the way to making the 600 copies that were made for the production. I'll be posting pictures in this thread as I make progress on that piece.

If anybody else wants to get in on this run, post a comment below and I'll PM you with payment details.

I'm starting with a screen-used B-grade helmet, then sharpening the edges and straightening out any of the wobbly bits to make an idealized, symmetrical version without any of the defects that came up on the way to making the 600 copies that were made for the production. I'll be posting pictures in this thread as I make progress on that piece.

If anybody else wants to get in on this run, post a comment below and I'll PM you with payment details.
thank you for your answer, I'll wait and see how the helmet develops then :)

Very nice. Is there a chance to get just a chin strap?

Are you planning making more SST armour pieces?

I'm not planning on offering the chin strap separately.

I'm not sure what you mean by "more SST armour pieces." The ensemble is only the three armor pieces and I'm making all three.

In that vein, last night I poured the molds for the armor:
53601588545_ab6a6c9757_c.jpg

This morning they were all cured:
53601232472_802622e536_c.jpg

So now they're airing out for a minute before I pour the first casting:
53602312678_9d887d8e67_c.jpg

If history has taught me anything it's that I'll need a few test casts before I get the exact amounts of foam figured out in order to make these guys.

Once I post pics of the first successful set out of the molds, I'm going to raise the price.

If you'd like to get in on this run, post a comment below and I'll PM you with payment info.

First set of parts out of the molds:

53613670856_63a6bd6f26_c.jpg

I'll be dying the future sets a bit darker and adding a hint of green to them. You'll still want to paint them, but any scratches in the paint will be less noticeable.

For now, here's another gaff tape test fitting pic:
53612799347_c9cd059176_c.jpg

And from behind:
53614011034_f27089e12d_c.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back