Stormtrooper Helm Screen Accurate but slightly larger

Zodus

I was toying with this idea the other day but was wondering if anyone has already attempted to or done so in the past.

I have a larger noggin than most folks do and a lot of the Helm makers for the screen accurate Stormie Helms dont quite fit me that well.

I thought of either trying to sculpt one out or mod an existing one just in slightly larger portions?

Has anyone heard of anyone that has done anything similar?

What do you guys think?

I think its a great idea, I also have a large head, but I haven't got the slightest idea how to craft a helmet from scratch, maybe make a mold of an existing helmet and modify it?

you might want to try a pepakura model and scale it up a little at a time until you get a size that fits without looking out of proportion.

they are way smaller than the FX helmet that has been popular in costumer circles.

Of course, the FX are way too big and oversized

The real helmets are actually pretty big, the openeing at the bottom is narrow so you have to put it on sideways and might be tight, but once
it's on there's alot of room.

GFollano

The real helmets are actually pretty big, the openeing at the bottom is narrow so you have to put it on sideways and might be tight, but once

GFollano

They're not that big at least for me....When I put it on my eyes are barely able to get to the eye area and when I do it's not very comfortable. as I said before I got a big noggin' I've tried a couple of helmets on before..MR and TE2 and they were both a bit too small. If I had to put my finger on it I would say the dome might need to be taller...about half an inch

GFollano
That's the way I've seen it done for us big headed fellas. Turn to the side, slip it on, spin it back normal.

That's not a head, it's a space station! :)
Just kidding - the helmet mod could work, because if you buy the helmet as a kit, it'll come with a faceplate, a backplate, and top dome. If you needed longer (front to back) you could cut the top dome in half, and insert an expansion strip. If the helmet isn't tightly trimmed, i bet you'd have just under an inch of play - the ears cover up the front/back piece seam. Expansion side to side might be harder. Either way, though, you risk goofing with the "look" of the helmet since you are modifyig proportions.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!
-R

That's not a head, it's a space station! :)
Just kidding - the helmet mod could work, because if you buy the helmet as a kit, it'll come with a faceplate, a backplate, and top dome. If you needed longer (front to back) you could cut the top dome in half, and insert an expansion strip. If the helmet isn't tightly trimmed, i bet you'd have just under an inch of play - the ears cover up the front/back piece seam. Expansion side to side might be harder. Either way, though, you risk goofing with the "look" of the helmet since you are modifyig proportions.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!
-R

My guess it that I might need a little more height in the dome area and not so much the front to back proportion.

Sounds to me like the FX might actually be a good fit for you its huge on most people but if you do have an epic melon it might be your answer

Sounds to me like the FX might actually be a good fit for you its huge on most people but if you do have an epic melon it might be your answer

I have an FX and it fits great..tons of extra room inside and I can put in all my electronics and still have room. I would like to get something a little better is all.

My head is 25.5 inches around (a hat size of 8+), and I struggle to fit my noggin into my TK bucket. The inside of the faceplate pushes up against my face, and eyes touch the lenses from time to time.

I've been thinking about getting a kit I like and modifying it, to make it an inch longer/deeper right above the ears.

Untitled-1.jpg

The thing is I don't have access to a vacumformer or any idea how to "recast" a buck from an existing piece.

Last edited:
I have a biggish head (not sure if as big as yours) and used to have a CRPROPs stunt helmet and there was no way I could put that on, and I know the proper way to put one on. But when I got an SDS stunt helmet it was no problem. That could have been partly on account of the undercut difference, but once inside it was also noticably larger. That is in no way a plug for SDS, just saying what I've experienced, that there are differences in size among the helmets and perhaps you just need to find the right one.

Maybe I just didnt turn it to the side enough? LOL but was able to get it on..the problem was it wasn't fitting very well. I don't have a neanderthal head but with a 7 7/8 hat size it isn't small. Hopefully I can come across a couple of troopers with a few different makes and I can try them on and see what happens.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back