Stormtrooper start to finish

Here are shots of the individual armor pieces and some soft parts. The images are huge, so I'm just going to link to them.

ab plate back
ab plate front
back front
back rear
belt front
belt rear
detonator
detonator detail
detonator detail
detonator rear
chest plate front
chest plate rear
drop boxes front
drop boxes rear
forearm detail
forearm front
forearm_rear
handguards front
handguards rear
holster front
holster rear
kidney/butt front
kidney/butt rear
shins front
shins left
shins right
shins rear
shoulder bell/bicep front
shoulder bell/bicep rear
shoulder bell/bicep side
shoulder bell/bicep assembly
thigh belt
thigh belt detail
thighs rear
thighs side

Some notes.

The holster should be held in place by rivets but I wanted something 'less permanent' just in case.

The drop boxes were a rush job with liquid nails. I've been toying with the idea of filling these with resin or something to permanently lock the strap in, but I'm not sure about the weight/sound.

The sniper plate is held on by plastic welder in front. I had the sides glued down as well and had planned on putting rivets in, but with it attached at the sides, it made it difficult to put on. The glue even snapped when I popped it open to put it over my shin.

The belt is held on to the ab plate by machine screws. The square caps are hotglued on so that they can be removed if need be.

I tried gorilla-gluing the banker's clips to the thermal detonator and the glue would never hold. They are bolted on now and the machine screws really aren't that noticeable.

The thigh straps were a little too short, so instead of re-building the straps, I just made two 'spacers' to lengthen them.

The two sets of snaps on the kidney plate are due to a mistake. I originally had the kidney plate sitting higher than the ab plate which was wrong. It should sit lower. I just never bothered to remove the first set of snaps.

I had planned on replacing the velcro on the butt/kidney pieces with snaps, but it seems to be doing fine so far.

The only rivets I used were on the battery belt on the right knee.

Almost forgot to post a tip on creating holes in straps and belts. To create a nice neat hole that is the right size for a button, use a pen-type soldering iron. Just put the strap on top of a cardboard box and the iron will slide right through it melting the material as it goes, so no frayed edges.

But when are we going to see larger versions of your studio photos because they looked like LFL pre-production photos?

Originally posted by RKW@Nov 22 2005, 03:30 PM
But when are we going to see larger versions of your studio photos because they looked like LFL pre-production photos?
[snapback]1120813[/snapback]​

I have to wait for them to be processed. It'll be after Thanksgiving sometime.

Thanks for putting the pictures up. They're a good reference for me to put mine together.. it looks like I might have the same kit as you. heh B)

Here are the studio shots. It was a lot of fun making them. Click on the images
for larger ones. I didn't watermark them, so if you use them somewhere, please
give me credit. They weren't free.

Here are two shots of my kid and I. The flash sucked every bit of color
out of the red lightsaber. Any photoshop gurus out there wanna help me
out? He did not want to stand still. We also forgot his belt. Arrggh!!!

Just got a pic with a more realistic blade!
Click for larger:

st01t.jpg

st08t.jpg

st08_2t.jpg

These are my attempt to match some of the LFL shots that everyone
has seen. I know I should have been facing the other way on the first
shot, but the chick suggested that I face that way because of the holster!?
Like a dolt, I obeyed. I can also see that I need a longer scope and
more greeblies for my rexim.

st02t.jpg

st03t.jpg

st04t.jpg

st05t.jpg

st06t.jpg

st14t.jpg

st09t.jpg

st10t.jpg

st13t.jpg

st15t.jpg

st11t.jpg

I guess that's about it for my armor construction. It was a really fun project and I learned a lot along the way. I would like to thank everyone here who kept up with it and helped me out when I needed it. I'd also like to thank everyone who has created their own 'how-to' sites. A lot of the techniques that I've used here have been picked up from the many sites I've studied. If I had any final words of advice, they would be take your time and above all, measure twice, cut once. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on finishing your armour clutch,you've done a good job. :thumbsup

Those photos look geat too.I have a photographer friend who said he'll take some pics of me when I'm ready.I hope they turn out as well as yours.

Great job,

-Paul.

This has been both an educational and rollercoaster ride of a thread culminating with one of the very best troopers out there :thumbsup

Hi Clutch,

Your suit looks fantastic the photos look very professional. Love the ones of you and mini Darth.

Its been a great thread and one of the best on the RPF for a while. The input from the other guys has also been great.

Possibly the MODS should archive this for future reference for all other future troopers who want to buid a Stormtrooper.

Well done (bet your glad your finished :) )

Fantastic stuff :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by Tim Allen@Dec 3 2005, 08:04 AM
Clutch, nice Remix...... :)
[snapback]1127576[/snapback]​

....ummm don't you mean 'Rexim'? :p

Nice work Clutch... great to see you've finally finished your trooper and done such a great job on it :)
Nice studio pics too...

And glad to see you riveted or pop-snapped the holster straps to the inside of the belt... rarely seen on ANH replica troopers :)

Cheers,
John

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back