Superman 1/4 scaled statue project

It's great as mentioned above. I know what Cyb is getting at as I too have a thing about angles, symmetricness etc... Wish I didn't as it drives me insane. Too be honest unless you are fussy or a perfectionist most would not have a clue, but it seems good advice for sure. It takes time to help others :thumbsup .

Listen to me. This is one of, no - this is the best likeness of Reeve I have seen done. do NOT mess with it. Do not even think about the symmetry thing. If you do, you will start to dig yourself into a hole, that you will have to sculpt your way out of. Do NOT let yourself be coached by people on the internet, with little lines and arrows, etc.. because gradually if you let this happen you will also find yourself putting in 50 x's more time than you should have, and end up with something that's not nearly as good as this. TRUST ME. TRUST YOUR FIRST IMPRESSION AND INSTINCTS. I can't tell you how many times I got derailed from listening to too many people. Everyones an expert. AND EVERYONE SEES THINGS DIFFERENTLY. If it's wrong you will see it. Finish this piece up, but make no major changes to the likeness, and you will have a great piece. Then if you want to improve, do another.
3 yrs ago I did a Reeve head in less than a week. That was the best one I did. 3 months later I was still in a tailspin trying to sculpt my way back to something decent, from having listened to all the critiques. Got something back.. o.k. , then redid it all from scratch again. Wished I had not messed with the first one. agonizing too much is really bad.

chatboardheader.jpg

Wonderful is not the word. The likeness is.....well, SUPER..

I have the Howard full size but, but a 1/4 figure like this would be amazing too.

Very interested once finished.

Well done.

:thumbsup

update :cheers

_DSC0582.JPG

_DSC0585.JPG

_DSC0588.JPG

_DSC0589.JPG

_DSC0590.JPG

_DSC0577.JPG

thank you very much for your kind words Doody,
this is my first sculpt and I have learned much (during 3 years . :confused )
I don't know if I would be able to sculpt a head in one week now ...
you are still a master for me ;)

Looking awesome man... keep doing what you're doing... don't let anyone pressure you otherwise.

Thanks for the update...
-r.

If anyone comes on a site of this kind showing off unfinished work I would think its because they want feedback... unlike some who just like to showcase it... and as far as I'm concerned its free speech and opinions... I to have sculpted things and put them out on here for comments and taken many positive and negative remarks and this I've found has greatly helped the likeness... case in point Yoda. So no need to get all vented about whats right and wrong. :)

The impression I'm getting is that Mick wants our comments and feedback... If hes prepared to listen to or not, then so be it... but I'm not going to waste my time, in future, if I'm going to get critised by certain individuals who think they ride higher than others, for trying to help a fellow sculptor... thats not good.

Cyb.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doody @ Jan 18 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]1399932[/snapback]</div>
Listen to me. This is one of, no - this is the best likeness of Reeve I have seen done. do NOT mess with it. Do not even think about the symmetry thing. If you do, you will start to dig yourself into a hole, that you will have to sculpt your way out of. Do NOT let yourself be coached by people on the internet, with little lines and arrows, etc.. because gradually if you let this happen you will also find yourself putting in 50 x's more time than you should have, and end up with something that's not nearly as good as this. TRUST ME. TRUST YOUR FIRST IMPRESSION AND INSTINCTS. I can't tell you how many times I got derailed from listening to too many people. Everyones an expert. AND EVERYONE SEES THINGS DIFFERENTLY. If it's wrong you will see it. Finish this piece up, but make no major changes to the likeness, and you will have a great piece. Then if you want to improve, do another.
3 yrs ago I did a Reeve head in less than a week. That was the best one I did. 3 months later I was still in a tailspin trying to sculpt my way back to something decent, from having listened to all the critiques. Got something back.. o.k. , then redid it all from scratch again. Wished I had not messed with the first one. agonizing too much is really bad.

chatboardheader.jpg

[/b]

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back