superman crystal - finally made a base

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally got around to making a base for my superman crystal. I think it looks pretty good, except I may go back and redo the acrylic tube holder to have a bit more "severe" angle.

crystaldisp1.jpg

crystaldisp2.jpg

i think it looks pretty good so far, just need to find a way to display it. and re-organize the shelf space a bit heh.

in case you are wondering what it is, its one of those quartz crystal candle holders. i managed to get one that had a wide enough opening, and some tubing that fit both it and the crystal. i think it turned out pretty well. has that "fortress of solitude" feel to it :)

chris

:lol

ANYWAY.. moving onto questions i can answer :)

i picked it up off ebay a few weeks/months ago. i pestered the seller with dimension questions, measured some candles she said would fit (nothing gets you weirder looks at wal mart than measuring candles at 1 am), and finally tracked down the right looking tubing.

all in all, it worked out pretty nifty. i have another working its way here (only about 2 weeks overdue), and as soon as i get it figured out, i may have a spare "holder" for sale in the JY.

chris

i snagged that one off ebay as well.

the only thing on the display i DIDNT get off ebay was the plastic tubing :lol

chris

looks Great but you should turn the crystal around :lol thats the way it 's meant to be displayed.

As for anyone interested in the Crystal you see pictured here contact me I will get you in touch with the "Original" creator and NOT the recaster who sells them on Ebay.

TY
Lance
TK2640

i remember it from the first movie.. but to be honest it looks kinda weird with the fat end on the bottom tapering up.

as far as the recasting thing, lets leave it outta the thread please. i just wanted to show off my display, not engage in what may or may not recast, etc etc.

im thinking if i go with the light up base idea i have, i may do the "chub" end at the bottom to spread the light out a bit more. itll give a nice green cast to the quartz.

chris

Chris,
You did a great job and the only reason I mentioned the second thing is for the fact that I think people should know its was a recast and from alot of other threads on the subject we're not allowed or is it condoned to peddle the wares of known recasters or recast items which you know both to be true in this case.
So meet me here on this impasse and edit your above post that you got it on ebay and instead direct the inquiry to where it should be directed "The Original CREATORS". And the only other reason I made this known was not to be a thread basher or take away your well deserved praise on your Awesome work but because I WAS also involved on the crystal project and though the other creator may be flattered or feel its ok in his mind it was recast IT doesn't sit well with me.
All is good And aligned in "PEACE" :):):)

Originally posted by hydin@Jan 13 2006, 09:59 PM
i remember it from the first movie.. but to be honest it looks kinda weird with the fat end on the bottom tapering up.

as far as the recasting thing, lets leave it outta the thread please. i just wanted to show off my display, not engage in what may or may not recast, etc etc.

im thinking if i go with the light up base idea i have, i may do the "chub" end at the bottom to spread the light out a bit more. itll give a nice green cast to the quartz.

chris
[snapback]1158580[/snapback]​

:unsure

so much for that hope...

no offense mm7 (or fx), but as i have stated before, i dont think this is a recast of your work. i wont edit my post out because it was asked where i got it from, and i got it from ebay. we can rehash the whole "its a recast/not a recast" arguement again and again, but the plain simple truth is it does not match the crystal i have from your original run. the angles are off, and the size is different. same overall shape, but smaller, and wider than yours. if it was a recast the size side to side would be identical, but this one has a "wider" fattened area. the angle of the back "spine" is a little wider as well. its also a good half inch or so shorter in length.

now, i dont condone recasting someone elses work, nor do i condone selling recast items. i agree with virtually all the threads on the board concerning peoples items that were taken and lobbed into silicone to make a quick buck. that has been my stance since i started this hobby back on ezboard.

in case someone is wondering, fxhound and mm7 make (or made, depending on who you want to speak of) a superman crystal that is pretty damned nice. i owned one for a while in a shadowbox display, and still own a one off purple one.

ive said my peace about it, and im done. if you choose to believe it is a recast, then more power to ya on that. from what i can tell, its damned close, but not the same.

now, scooting away from the now hopefully closed recast issue/hijack of the thread, if someone has some tips on the best way to drill out quartz i would love to hear it. id like to install a fade effect LED on the back or sides to let the quartz light up and show off the crystal, but not have the crystal itself light up. im kind of scared to take my dremel or my drill to it without knowing if there is a special glass/quatz drillbit. i wouldnt want to shatter the base. mother nature only makes 1 of a kind crystals, and i kinda dig this design :). i already have the LED circuit made up from a light up skull i did a few years ago, just have to "extend" the LEDs themselves a bit.

as far as the plastic tubing goes(ive gotten a few PMs), you can pick up a batch from tapplastics.com but you will have some leftover bits. they only sell in 3' and 6' lengths, and the entire piece from bottom of quartz base to the upper back behind the crystal is about 6-8" or so. the good news is its easily cut with a hacksaw, and a belt sander can grind it down to a smooth edge, no need to flame polish. bad news is if you only have one crystal you want to show off.... you are gonna have a lot of extra to practice on :lol

danke
chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back