Superman: Man of Steel Costume *Final Steel Concept Page 7*

Re: Superman: Man of Steel Costume

I don't like all that crap added to it. What's the point of having a "belt buckle" when there's no belt? Also, I don't know what about it is, I don't think he has the "face" for superman..

While I think he has the face for superman, he doesn't have the height or build necessary in my opinion.

Plus that suit look Fugly as can be. What's with the color, design, and no cape? And I agree tubachris, what's with the belt buckle? It's a bodysuit, why would a belt be needed at all?

Re: Superman: Man of Steel Costume

I'm gonna share the thoughts I posted on my Facebook page earlier today...

First Hollywood redesigns Green Lantern's uniform, taking away his signature white gloves. Then, they redesigned Spider-Man's threads for the upcoming movie, making him look like he stepped out of the much-hated "Clone Saga". And now they've redesigned Superman's time-tested classic of a costume to look like something out of the "Totally XTREME!!!!" 1990s era. Not a good move at all. :thumbsdown

We finally get an actor that LOOKS like Superman, and they stick him in that. Ugh. Bottom line, the costume no longer looks like something his (adoptive) mother sewed for him here on Earth. Now the only explanation that works is that they're Kryptonian threads that he somehow managed to come by that were miraculously tailored just for him... when he was an infant! :rolleyes

Superman's costume is a classic for A REASON. It was the very FIRST superhero costume. It is THE standard by which all others are judged! It still works roughly 75 years after the character's creation because it has a certain something going for it... it is what people call a TIMELESS look. It ALWAYS looks good. Superman's creators did good when they designed that costume. Sure, each artist working on the comic is going to draw it a little different, but they've always followed the same basic design.

Take Shane Davis, when working on the graphic novel Superman: Earth One (which was written by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski.) Here you have a new re-telling of Superman's origin, an updating of the character and his world. Shane Davis could have re-designed the costume any way he wanted to modernize it. And what did he, ultimately, setlle on? This:

He just tweaked it a little, that's all. Made the blue parts of the costume two-tone, darker on the sides, lighter down the middle. Tweaked the design of the briefs, belt and boots a little. And that's it. And that's all that should EVER be done to this costume.

Unfortunately, Hollywood thinks they know how to design a costume better than the character's creators. So we end up with a Superman that looks like he's wearing the Witchblade. Utter nonsense.
+1 Well Said

am i the only one that actually likes the new suit? :/ has anyone thought that maybe it's an alternate suit of some sort and isn't used throughout the entire film? the old suit , looks, well, old and dated to me, i wouldn't have minded if they kept the general idea but modernized it, but i can live with this as well. and isn't his cape going to be cgi? isn't that why it's not shown in the leaked pictures? in any event, have you had any progress on this costume whoknows8701? :)

i agree. i was actually disappointed that not more was done with the suit for the first film. i get that it's supposed to be something handmade, but i don't think there's anything wrong with taking a new direction as the films progress.

I read on another forum that the suit is supposed to be symbiotic and folds away into the belt buckle. Can't see it myself though.

That's interesting if true-- (not the symbiotic part-- he's not freaking Venom...) but I remember one comic-- I think it was one of the Batman/Superman Annuals, where Superman explains that he keeps his suit compressed in a small steel ball-- which I suppose is the belt buckle

Makes total sense if they go that route-- I mean, sure he could wear the suit under his clothes, but what about the cape? Does he stuff it up his ass and blow it out when he needs it?? :lol

What's up everyone?

So I'm wanting to bring new life back into this
thread. Get more of ur guy's input on how I can
Make this suit into a reality. People to contact.
Ideas on the type of fabric.

I am wanting this suit done by next years
San Diego Comic-Con.

1316819967137.png

So... What's up lol

Last edited:
So I may have taken my first step to making this costume a reality. The shield! I am in talks to get this made in silver of course. What u guys think?

2011-10-31_203952.jpg

2011-10-31_203750.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone else think the midportion of the "S" is a bit... well... fat?

EDIT: I know it's supposed to mimick the new "S" for the Man of Steel movie - I think that what's catching my eye is that the upper left hand corner of the picture above - maybe cut a bit more material out so that the edges of the "fat" portion of the "S" are more parallel?

The one thing I like about the new suit is the chest logo. It really harkens back to the vintage look for Supes.

superman_1.jpg

Guys I just started a new thread with the Spiderman test fabric. The fabric for the MOS body suit is a done deal, walk in the park as soon as there is a descent photo. Less than a week production time to be up and running on bodysuits once we can see what the pattern is. Someone get us a damn picture!

What type of fabric are you using?

So I am trying to breathe life back into this costume. So I'm curious, what type of material would be food for this suit? Other than dye-sublimated print, tho that's lOoking like the option I know of at the moment lol.

All of those photshop pics look sweet. This guy is ripped. I saw him in The Immortals and he did a great job there too. Have faith. This costume may only be for a few scenes, or just an experimental suit to gauge peoples reactions. Routh was OK, but they quit on him too fast.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back