SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Cyber, yep I've used the Ca Soda trick for filling and like Robert mentioned below the Micro Balloons. What I was speaking of before was gluing the styrene plates to the fiberglass hull. I did a test a while back with just thin CA. It bonded pretty good, it was just a bear to get it placed properly before it grabbed. Once that stuff goes off , it is where it is, LOL. The good thing was, I tried to peel the piece off to see how strong it would hold, and I couldn't get it off. Guess I'll use the slow stuff, so I have a little more time to line the plates up. Thanks for the info guys, Cheers,

Joe

Hey Joe,
Yeah, I figured you already knew about the CA/BS mix, but since you mentioned joining two dissimilar materials, Paul's video came to mind. I haven't tried it yet, but really want to do a head to head comparison between his mixture and the CA/BS stuff. The CA thing is all new to me since any Superglue used to be so brittle. Should've figured it out sooner that a single product doesn't necessarily represent an entire industry.

Anyway, good luck on getting her done :)
~Chaz

Thanks bud, I just updated my thread.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=235491

Getting there little by little. Hope to have the plug done soon. Then the real fun, making the mold, augggh ! I so hate working with polyester resin, but can't afford to make an epoxy mold. That stuff is pricey. Poly molds work just fine for what I'm doing. They just stink to high Heaven LOL. And they keep on stinking for a long time. Oh well gotta work with what you have. Thanks for the video, don't ever stop suggesting stuff, you never know what somebody may know. I'm learning new stuff all the time. Mostly from the awesome people on here and other modeling forums, like Studio Scale Modelers. If you haven't been over there by all means check it out. Some great guys and gals over there too. Cheers,

Joe

A few more final details - in progress:

View attachment 417335

View attachment 417336

AB, JM, SB

Any chance someone could get a copy of this model. I have the one Joshua made, but it doesn't have the starboard front maintenance bay, or the rear trapezoidal bays. If you have something that Lightwave could read, that would be awesome. If not I can try to convert it. Or failing that, maybe get the size and position of the square or rectangle Starboard front bay. The shape of the hole under the plating that is. I think I can figure out the rear bays if I have to. Of course since you already know.... ;) And yes I do want you to come and build this thing for me, LOL. Just kidding of course. I appreciate all the info you guys are providing. And yes I'm extremely greedy for more. I'm getting close to completing my plug, and then molding. I won't need to worry about the bays just yet. But it never hurts to ask , Cheers,

Joe

Here's a pic that shows the forward bay, looks rectangular but could be distorted.

Falcon Nekkid.jpg

cannonnowcouleur.jpg

Hi friends,
I'm back after a short absence, due to some health concerns :( brief ...
Who Do the parties kits used for the gun please ?
Apart from the barrel end that come from Ferrari 312B Tamiya 1/12 ...
Feel free to list and add more photos if you have !
thank you in advance :)

Joe,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding some of the form details that aren't in the current released ANH MF model asset.

Along the way, over the last 2+ years, there were several discussions amongst the three of us regarding just how much to make public, at this time.

While we have a digital asset that accounts for the maintenance bay alcoves and other details (i.e. the radar dish and quad cannon assemblies, all maintenance bays etc.), more work is currently on-going to confirm (or deny) our proposed findings - especially the ANH bottom maintenance bays that were covered up/moved/altered to make room for the ESB fore landing gear boxes.

Please stay tuned for more updates as we continue to evolve and refine the model - both practical and digital...

Regards,

Andre

Joe,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding some of the form details that aren't in the current released ANH MF model asset.

Along the way, over the last 2+ years, there were several discussions amongst the three of us regarding just how much to make public, at this time.

While we have a digital asset that accounts for the maintenance bay alcoves and other details (i.e. the radar dish and quad cannon assemblies, all maintenance bays etc.), more work is currently on-going to confirm (or deny) our proposed findings - especially the ANH bottom maintenance bays that were covered up/moved/altered to make room for the ESB fore landing gear boxes.

Please stay tuned for more updates as we continue to evolve and refine the model - both practical and digital...

Regards,

Andre

Thanks Andre, I felt bad asking for more after all the wealth you guys have just given to us. I also appreciate you wanting to get the details as close as possible before releasing them. I think I figured out a way to get the dims I asked about. And all I needed was Photoshop, ;) I'm not up on all the photogrammetry stuff you guys do. I use LightWave for 3d but can't figure out how to do what you do with photos. Oh well maybe one day I'll figure it out. Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Andre, I felt bad asking for more after all the wealth you guys have just given to us. I also appreciate you wanting to get the details as close as possible before releasing them. I think I figured out a way to get the dims I asked about. And all I needed was Photoshop, ;) I'm not up on all the photogrammetry stuff you guys do. I use LightWave for 3d but can't figure out how to do what you do with photos. Oh well maybe one day I'll figure it out. Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

While there are other solutions out there, I currently use Photoscan from Agisoft.

At the following link, try out the demo version and check out the tutorial(s).

http://www.agisoft.com/downloads/installer/
http://www.agisoft.com/pdf/PS_1.0.0 -Tutorial (BL) - 3D-model.pdf
http://www.agisoft.com/downloads/sample-data/

Regards,

Andre

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts..."

After what seems like forever, it is finally time to actually start making this model.

I'm starting with the quad guns assembly - yoke components being first up in the chuck. Recently got a small bench lathe and I'm starting to make some chips!

yokeStrut1.JPG

yokeStrut1.png

More to follow...

Regards,

Andre

Joe,

While there are other solutions out there, I currently use Photoscan from Agisoft.

At the following link, try out the demo version and check out the tutorial(s).

http://www.agisoft.com/downloads/installer/
http://www.agisoft.com/pdf/PS_1.0.0 -Tutorial (BL) - 3D-model.pdf
http://www.agisoft.com/downloads/sample-data/

Regards,

Andre

Thanks man, I will definitely ck it out. A good skill to have in this hobby. We often have many pictures but few measurements. Cheers,

Joe

A quick update while I continue the build - I test RP printed the digital quad-gun sub-assembly model - I just wanted to get it out of the computer and hold it in my hand - a huge benefit of living in the age that we do:

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

overlay1.jpg

Thanks!

apb

Last edited:
Beautiful work, dimensionally do you feel it's correct ? A very quick query , is the angled mount that the yoke fits into a model part on top of plastic, or was this shape all scratch built ?

Vacformedhero,

I'm feeling pretty good about the accuracy. The donor kit parts I have all fit and there are quite a few "cardinal" dimensions on the piece (1/8s, 16ths, 32nds etc.).

As for the angled mount, I suspect it was mostly scratch built. Others on this forum probably know more about that particular area of the model.

Regards,

Andre

- - - Updated - - -

maruska and asalaw - Thank you!

apb

Hi guy's,

I search this part, the ring exactly (I have koolshade) on the web, but I didn't find :-( :

kg_m-falcon_-105 - Copie.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you ! :)

Thanks Mark, yesterday I make a wood master, I think make vaccuforming...

Hi Leukirix,
I can do you a cast set of the vents if you want them?. Each vent is comprised of a lid & a base. The koolshade sits on a shelf integrated into the base & the lid hides the rough edge of the cut koolshade.
I don't feel vacuum forming over a wooden buck is going to help you here.
PM me if you like, no problem!.
Stu

The pieces are falling into place -- I'm getting very fast at hard-surface modeling in Blender, and I've also signed up for OnShape, a free cloud-based CAD package. I've decided to scale back my MF project to a 32" version of the 5' model, since -- let's face it -- it'll be some time before I have space for a 5' anything. But with vacuforming, laser cutting, and 3D printing, 32" is doable.

Thanks again, vfxsup64 and maruska, and everyone else who's contributing, for making this all possible. :)

In other news, I just read The Force Awakens script. Apparently it's spelled Kanjiklub, not Ganjaclub. So disappointed. :p

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back