Interest THE BOYS Compound V Vials - with painted lid

Astyanax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all!

I have been re-watching The Boys and Gen V, and I thought it might be nice to have a vial or two of Compound V in my collection.

Imagine my surprise when I went online and discovered that glass vials with the conical internal bottom are not only insanely expensive, but also only sold in cases of 12! It appears that Wheaton has a patent/trademark on the "V-Vial®", which means they can set the price, as is quite common in the medical and scientific industries. No wonder they waved those vials around in the show so much; they're elite!

So I was wondering if there might be interest in a mini-run of these, where I could do a group buy from Fisher Scientific (best price I could find) and offer them individually. I'm not looking to make a profit; I just want to buy one for myself. I checked eBay, Amazon, Etsy, all the usual suspects, and there doesn't seem to be anything better out there. And these are shiny and new!

After much searching and research, my best guess is that the Boys V-Vials are 5mL in size, which is the largest available. Specs from Fisher Scientific are as follows:
  • Outer Diameter: 20mm (~25/32")
  • Inner Diameter: 13mm (~1/2")
  • Height: 65mm (~2-9/16")
  • Capacity: 5mL
  • Material: Borosilicate Glass (low extractable)
They come with a 20-400 screw-top rubber-lined black phenolic screw cap faced with PTFE. The lids are partially ridged:

1701447351494.png
1701447415078.png
v3.jpg

Additional tech specs can be found here.

(As you can see, I am being transparent about my supplier. I am getting no special deal. This is a group buy.)

Price would be $34 USD for each vial, plus $5 FLAT to ship in the U.S. or $10 FLAT to ship rest-of world. Shipping is combined for multiple vials.
I am also offering to paint the lids to achieve a chrome effect (at no extra cost) as follows:
  • Airbrush in high-gloss black, then
  • airbrush Alclad II Polished Aluminum, then
  • airbrush Alclad Aqua-Gloss clearcoat.
This achieves a pretty decent chrome effect.
You'll have to provide the blue or green Compound V fluid yourself, but this is my recommended recipe:
  • 50% distilled or RO water
  • 50% ISO alcohol (to prevent fungus)
  • 1-2 drops glycerine (to prevent settling)
  • Food coloring to preference
The vials of green Compound V are definitely smaller, so if there's enough of a demand, I will consider ordering those as well. But the larger vials for blue V are only items being offered for now:

1701446876970.png
1701446967582.png
1701446998413.png
1701446914571.png

I would not take any payment until the supply is in-hand, and I would provide photos (with painted caps) along with this post as proof that I have them ready to go. I would ask for payment at that time.

So I need a dozen takers to place the order. I'm even willing to pay for a couple of my own!
  1. Astyanax
  2. Astyanax
  3. Starganderfish
  4. Starganderfish

If you're interested, please post a reply to this thread; I will add your name to the list above. Once we hit 12, I will place the order for the case.

If more than a dozen want one, I will consider ordering extra depending on the number of interested parties. Hope there's some interest, as these are not normally price effective! Help me get a vial by getting one for yourself!

Thanks for your consideration!
Bill

Last edited:
Woah. I had the same interest in creating a Compund V vial and went through the same search you did. I had no better luck finding affordable vials.
I even dabbled with the idea of 3D printing something in clear resin, but the clarity of the print simply wasn't good enough.
1707395348984.png
If you end up doing a run, put me down for two.

Attachments

• 1707395087728.png
    1707395087728.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
Thanks! I dabbled in the resin printing of these as well, coming to the same conclusion. In this case, there's just no substitute for the real thing.

I'll add you to the list and we'll see if more interest crops up!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back