The Doomsday Machine

I
But, as you brought it up... what reference are you using for the shape of the lower saucer section? I don't have a good photo of the underside, but the best side shots seem (like most of what you brought up) to match the measurements comparison.

Hey Shaw, to be clear I was only expressing my opinion; hope it didn't come across as saying you were wrong. As far as the reference material I am going from memory from (I guess) the Smithsonian exhibit. I don't remember the dorsal being so long and the bottom of the saucer seemed to be more cone-shaped then what I'm seeing on screen. In any event it's just conjecture on all of our parts but I am enjoying the discussion (well, until I seemed to have pissed you off, lol).

CD, not sure about the change in perspective; I'll have to check that out.

This is the top one and second from the bottom.

Use cross eyed method..

3dE.jpg

When you think of what they had on hand and cheap and fast, and the posibility of it being 3 or so feet, why could or could they have used a plant stake.

They are about that high and are in the same basic shape. Then cover it in foil or as the R/C planes do, cloth and fiberglass resin

This is the top one and second from the bottom.

Use cross eyed method..

3dE.jpg

First off: to whoever first discovered you could make stereoscopic images with certain frames from a moving image: genius!

Second: that image pair looks pretty conclusive to me. Definitely depth on that ship, must be a physical model and not a cut-out.

Ok, sadly I have never been able to master this stereo vision and it sucks!! All those cool 3-D posters and such; oh well. I will say at least looking at the vertical images I am satisfied that there is a change in perspective. Thanks for doing the work for me, lol.

Glad to hear it Shaw. Wanted to make sure I was not reading you wrong.

Now, back to the doomsday machine!!!

Ok, sadly I have never been able to master this stereo vision and it sucks!! All those cool 3-D posters and such; oh well. I will say at least looking at the vertical images I am satisfied that there is a change in perspective. Thanks for doing the work for me, lol.

Glad to hear it Shaw. Wanted to make sure I was not reading you wrong.

Now, back to the doomsday machine!!!

Look at the image from about a foot away.
Put your finger tip next to the screen in between the two images, look at your finger tip and slowly move it towards you noticing when the two images behind merge together. Then pull your finger down out of the way.

First off: to whoever first discovered you could make stereoscopic images with certain frames from a moving image: genius!

Second: that image pair looks pretty conclusive to me. Definitely depth on that ship, must be a physical model and not a cut-out.

I didn't discover it but after a while you just notice when you can do it.

It's surprising sometimes where you can see stereoscopic pairs out there. Even on billboards with reflections in sunglasses.

Plus two images combined to one adds more information, so you get depth and a bit more detail sometimes.

I was thinking for very small model like 10", simple kitchen foil around a basic frame shape and painted, then blue tinted saran wrap might work pretty well.

I was going to try to do a test with the foil and colored gel last weekend but didn't get the chance. I wanted to see if you could get close to the screen appearance. I'll give it a try hopefully this weekend.

I was thinking foil inside a casting of blue tinted clear resin would be cool.

I like that better then my idea for a small model.
Can something be dipped in clear resin and get a hardened shell?

Maybe a transparancy from a screen grab of the inside energy effect with a light behind it could work too
as was suggested.

I've made some very small resin castings, but nothing large scale. So I'm not very knowledgeable, but I'm thinking sculpt the outside shape and mold it. Use this to rotocast in clear resin with the blue tint. Then make the foil inner piece and slip it inside. This would give it the 3D look like the original. You can even put tape strips on the outside if you want.

For the inner light effect I'd like to see it animated. Two black discs with clear radial lines. Something like the communicator moire, but the lines are wider and vary in size. One disc rotates against the other. Because of the width of the lines it won't make a moire effect, just shafts of light that radiate out.

I studied the DDM very closely way back in 1989 when I pitched using it in for a TNG episode titled "The Day Before Doomsday". I noticed even then (off VHS) that there was parallax on the surface detail when the thing turned, and realized then that the surface appeared to be some clear coat over another structure. I too saw the strips around the maw and thought the clear coating might actually be entirely made of some clear packing tape. The gel idea makes some sense, but the consistent width of the strips wrapping into the may makes me wonder.

And, just for giggles, back in 1989 I figured out how big the machine was relative to the Enterprise: 13,330 feet long. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back