"The New York Ghost" research thread

LorduDesign

Sr Member
Hey everybody,
As you may already seen new trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has dropped. In one of scenes from the trailer, we see new newspaper made by MinaLima - The New York Ghost!
Here's how it looks:
Fantastic-Beasts-And-Where-To-Find-Them-newspaper.jpg

As I think many of us will try to replicate at least one of these amazing newspapers, we have to do quite a big research on fonts used etc.
I definitely see some of P22 Koch Signs there.
I will definitely be doing New York Ghosts when we will get more references :D
If you see something interesting on newspaper or find some new info, just post it here!

i dont know about fonts but i can definately share this:

Gellert Grindlewald International Wizard Hunt Intensifies

350p1t0.jpg

"The New York Ghost" research thread

I identified two fonts!
"Alberto Macellarius" appears to be Bourbon font!
Top headline and one on front page is Coliseum!

Where do you guy's find such great quality images?
Do you draw them yourself or do you just spend ages scouring the internet for them?
Good work anyway!

Hello! I've done a bit of more research on this over months!

Logo is a font - http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/scriptorium/blackthorn/

MinaLima used eagle from this pack for the eagle for MADE IN USA (you can even match the textures) - https://creativemarket.com/decadetypefoundry/40842-Engraving-Vintage-American-Eagle

Font used on some parts of the cover - https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/jnlevine/dubois/

Another one - https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/baselinefonts/antimony/

Also Archive Thermo was used ;)

Font for articles is some kind of Fraktur style font but I haven't been able to match it to the correct one!

Nice job Vitor ;)

I was doing a search for The Ghost, and really noticed that the picture on the front page is different in the movie magic book and posters being sold to us, than in the trailers. This is an enlarged shot from the trailer, and you can see that the New York Skyline shot is not in the movie trailer, everything else on The Ghost looks the same. I wonder why they changed it? As a research thread, I had to bring this up.

Attachments

• NY Ghost.jpg
    NY Ghost.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 42
Original prop had green screen so in post-production moving images could be added. The same technique was used all over the HP props.

OK, I do understand that, but the front page is the same for both versions and the Headlines would match the photo in the trailer.

I am not sure, but I think the airship over the NYC Skyline might be the Hindenburg which did not happen until the mid 30's. It looks like the Hindenburg.

From what MinaLima have done on HP I understand that they used this photo as they haven't filmed that scene yet.

As you can see photo on lower part of the page is actually from the film as they filmed this before doing this newspaper.

So I assume that that photo was just a placeholder. On HP props they used placeholders very often

Order of the Phoenix photo at first was actually a photo manipulation of promo photos and crew members until they got to shoot a proper photo which later appeared in the final film.

Thank you for the support :) And thanks LorduDesign for your findings.
I just completed the cover for this edition, here are the results

View attachment 681500View attachment 681499View attachment 681498
View attachment 681501View attachment 681502

The text is Lorem ipsum, and still need a bit of adjustment, like punctuation and paragraphs. The font I used was Gotyk Poszarpany, I didn't find the exact font, but this one is very similar.

Nice one!

Actually Gotyk Poszarpany means Ragged Gothic in Polish haha!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back