"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

It accomplished getting rid of an annoying Gen Z wanna be that was only there for extra drama on what was once a comedy homage to Star Trek.
I've liked this season but I have really missed the comedy. I think Seth has forgotten his comedy roots and is trying to turn into a serious film maker.

FYzgxhWXkAEokGw.jpeg.jpg

Something I always wondered about. When the crew of the Orville touch control panels or wall panels the buttons light up under their fingers. Do the props actually light up or is this done in post?

Not bad and they finally got some humor into it. You still had long walks around the ship but it seemed to serve a purpose. The surprise quest at the end was a nice touch for what may be the last episode of the series.

So this season was apparently supposed to be 11 episodes, but one didn’t get filmed due to travel restrictions.

It was turned into a novella apparently written by MacFarlane. It takes place between episodes 8 and 9.

Snore fest. It might have made it as a mid season episode, but as a finale, it was a major letdown. I don't know if Scott Grimes had something put into his contract to be allowed to sing a set amount of songs this season or what. He's not bad, but I kept hoping that John Belushi's Animal House character would come in and smash his guitar.

I wasn’t impressed by this episode at all. Overly long, no action, boring.

I feel like this episode was a prime example of the whole “too much walking” we’ve been discussing this entire season. Isaac at the beginning, Claire coming down the aisle, two very obvious points that could’ve been trimmed down and caused nothing to be lost. Also, watching Bortus and Klyden touch heads for an eternity was another thing that could have been trimmed.

The B plot with the girl from that season one planet was really weird. It seemed to serve no real purpose narrative wise.

Seeing Halston Sage was fun. I liked her character in the first season a lot.

Bortus and Gordon both got to sing. Yay.

If this was the series finale, they certainly didn’t go out with a bang, which is really disappointing. I’d say this is by far the weakest episode of this season, and maybe the entire series.

Haven’t seen this last episode of the series (?) as of yet , but I’m willing to admit that I’ve really enjoyed the songs sung in previous episodes in this season, very much to my surprise !.
They’ve been an unexpected, yet appropriately welcomed ‘dollop’ of freshly whipped cream, on a warm, homemade serving of apple pie !...., it fits !;)

I’ve certainly been critical of this season in certain directions they’ve gone.

But, I thought that this was a solid episode.

True, there was not a lot of blow them up, pew, pew, pew…

But we got solid story telling. Resolution.

Bortus and Klydon had been through the wringer. One had become enlightened and the other holding on the prejudices of his race. Their relationship had been over until Klydon learned to think outside his narrow view and accept his daughter. A marriage that had been almost dissolved has now been mended and reconfirmed.

Isaac realizing that he needs to be with Clair and that they are a good match. His promise to care for her descendants proves, as she said, that he does love her in his way.

The Kaylon union attending the wedding and copying what they saw Humans do, shows how the two races at war with each other just a year earlier are deciding to extend not only olive branches, but also making a conscious decision to learn to understand each other.

The family dynamics in this were apparent.

Clair, threatening Lamar if he ever interferes again. Older sister at its best.

Gordon and Bortus arguing as to who’s going to be the best man. Brother sibling rivalry at its best.

Kelly taking on the new shipmate. Can’t remember her name. Newly made older adoptive sister who’s welcoming her into the family, at its best.

This episode was about the family that serves on the Orville. How they’ve grown, fallen and picked each other up over the years. They love each other and it shows.

If this is the final episode, while it wasn’t focused on winning a war, it was focused on empowering the Human Condition and I for one, think it’s a fantastic send off.

Last edited:
Okay folks.

*************SPOILERS*****************

So, I went out of my way to watch this final episode today, and it was GOOD

It was good. It was fun.

Alara Came back!!!

I remember watching Star Trek, UFO, Space 1999, any anime (justabout) trudging through human interest stuff after MORE human interest stuff for that great starship battle, that cool alien race, that hook that ate up the budget, that resulted in everyone buzzing about it the following day.

Seriously, these shows are soap operas in space.

The Boys, a soap opera on steroids (or Compound V).

It didn't make you laugh out loud? "The sober male served his purpose" (or something like that)

"Isaac resulted in many casualties -- all kidding aside."

If Elvis impersonators on the show Sledgehammer weren't bad enough...

So, ONE episode about the inevitable and folks aren't happy?
I wish they had tied up EDIT : loose ends with the Captain's daughter.

A spoiled kid thinks rushing advancement is going to work, without caring how you got there. No lumps. Topic for another locked thread.

Now I gotta read the 11th episode

Last edited:
I thought it was a perfectly fine episode. It didn't need explosions. That was last episode. They expanded on the Kaylon peace, which was great, Isaac and Claire got married, which was great, and the sandwich finally came back. I even liked the song at the end. If this is the last episode, I think it's a fine send-off.

They should not have had the scene of Isaac inviting the Kaylon. Their arrival should have been a surprise to the audience as well as the bridge crew. Only after they exit quantum would Isaac then state they are his wedding guests.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back