The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

I asked Chris B if there will be photos or video from SDCC and this was his reply.

8a7f57ffc1b71862fcbcb42af19e1ad5?s=44&d=retro&r=g.jpg
Chris Barnardo July 18, 2024 at 12:16 pm
The Energize Lounge is hosting us at 10am, 3pm, and 7pm each day for an up close and personal chat/demonstration about the Tricorder. Andrew Stockdale and James Thomas (the guys most responsible for the mechanical design and software respectively) will be showing off a preproduction Tricorder at these times. There will also be one permanently on display in the Energize Lounge. Fans who are present for any of those sessions will able to take photos and video and I am sure some of them will be posting online.

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

I think that image may be a 3D rendering, not the physical item. Hence why no SD slot.

Probably so….imo ..it’s a bit deceiving not to show that it’s actually there, anyway moving forward..

If I get the opportunity to see it, I’ll be curious to see which Micro SD Card card connector they used. I would have gone with the spring loaded push-push and not the passive push-pull. The hinged is certainly out of the question.

The spring loaded push-push version you insert the SD card flush with the display housing side making it easier to rotate the entire display housing to open and close without interference.

The push-pull would leave a small portion of the SD card sticking out from the display housing side causing the display housing not to rotate to the closed position….meaning to rotate close the display housing…you’ll always have to remove the micro-SD card first.

If they used a push-pull ….expect to probably see a warning notice to remove micro SD card before closing display housing….or words to that effect

I’ll ask the Wand rep.

095528B3-C19D-4CE8-9EA1-2414A1E7D2CB.jpeg

020648A6-89E2-4B84-9FC0-E636D7F2F87E.jpeg

Last edited:
So, let me tell you about my new favorite prop replica.

But first there is a backstory. I have communicated with Chris from The Wand Company off and on for the past few years. When the 11th Doctors sonic came out, I emailed and asked how to take it apart as I wanted to modify it into an extending replica. He helped me out and with a few machined parts, I made it. There’s a 10-12 year old thread on here somewhere about that.

We’ve communicated a few times and on the last update I replied telling him to take their time as they’ve never disappointed and never would.

He emailed me again and we spoke a bit. I then told him that I hoped they rerelease he phaser remote as I had to sell mine a couple of years ago when I had been laid off of work, otherwise I wouldn’t have a full landing party set. My communicator will be buried with me, come what may.

Look what FedEx delivered to my house today.

View attachment 1838852

Chris said that he was touched by my email, rounded up the staff and looked in every corner and in every bin in the warehouse until they found enough pieces to assemble a phaser.

View attachment 1838854

He told me that the acrylic rod does not retract or extend, I don’t care. He actually apologized for it. He gifted me this and was apologizing, but I get it, when you give a gift, you want it to be perfect. And to me, it is.

View attachment 1838855

There is a slight crack on the top plate. That’s from Scotty having to replace it quickly on a shuttle craft.

View attachment 1838856

And a few scruffs on the handle. That’s when Kirk dropped it.

View attachment 1838857

And I love each and every one of them.

There is a short somewhere. The trigger is loose and if I push a wiggle it, the tip will light up, but it doesn’t stay on and no sound just yet. I’ll try and find a thread somewhere here to disassemble it and try to fix it.

Chris did say to be careful about how I brag about this, as this is THE LAST phaser ever to come from their shop. They don’t have any more parts. (So don’t email them linking this thread to it)

This is The Wand Company. These are the people you deal with.

This is why I have been and always shall be their supporter.
That is an amazing story! WOW! My faith in humanity pushed in a more positive direction! Congratulations on your Phaser! With the Tricorder the set will soon be finished! Wow!

Last edited:
Here is my shelf space waiting for a tricorder. View attachment 1842318

Consider adding more room to add a (Star Trek) tridimensional Space Checkers Board … found on eBay sometimes….avg $ is in the 30’s ….be careful though….some sets did not have the clear plastic checkers platforms (which are rare), as pictured on the box cover….but instead in solid red plastic checkers platforms when you look at the contents on the eBay listed item pics.

B267B5E3-CDAB-4626-996A-218E0D16A921.png

If you find one …..it probably won’t be cheap…see below

Edit: Thanks for the FYI Jin

758F5BA0-F13A-4756-9C62-74942117184E.jpeg

Last edited:
Consider adding more room to add a (Star Trek) tridimensional Space Checkers Board … found on eBay sometimes….be careful though….some sets did not have the clear plastic checkers platforms, as pictured on the box cover….but instead in solid red plastic checkers platforms.

View attachment 1842319

If you find one …..it probably won’t be cheap…see link below

Space Checkers

Sorry, but don't post eBay links. It's against the rules. You can get a screen shot of the eBay item and post just the screen shot picture.

Here’s some more information about the Tricorder’s functionality. Question and answer posted on TWC Tricorder blog. Thanks Bill D if you’re here.

Bill D July 19, 2024 at 5:00 pm
Chris Barnardo
For the audio function, can the tricorder detect sound at or beyond the audible range?

Chris Barnardo July 21, 2024 at 9:23 am
The audio function is set to respond to audio in the audible range. The Tricorder’s audio analyser uses a system-in-package (SIP) electro-acoustic transducer housing a micro-electro- mechanical system (MEMS) sensor with an application- specific integrated circuit (ASIC) to measure the ambient sound levels. The main microcontroller uses a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) to convert the sound waveform into the frequency domain and plot the spectrum on the Tricorder’s display. Very roughly, we are currently planning for it to measure the ambient sound spectrum energy from 100 Hz to 12 kHz displaying sound energy from 10 dB to 100 dB, although the exact representation may change slightly depending on a few factors.

Here’s some more information about the Tricorder’s functionality. Question and answer posted on TWC Tricorder blog. Thanks Bill D if you’re here.

Chris Barnardo
For the audio function, can the tricorder detect sound at or beyond the audible range?

The audio function is set to respond to audio in the audible range. The Tricorder’s audio analyser uses a system-in-package (SIP) electro-acoustic transducer housing a micro-electro- mechanical system (MEMS) sensor with an application- specific integrated circuit (ASIC) to measure the ambient sound levels. The main microcontroller uses a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) to convert the sound waveform into the frequency domain and plot the spectrum on the Tricorder’s display. Very roughly, we are currently planning for it to measure the ambient sound spectrum energy from 100 Hz to 12 kHz displaying sound energy from 10 dB to 100 dB, although the exact representation may change slightly depending on a few factors.
I didn’t understand a word of that, yet am even more excited for the tricorder.

Chris Barnardo

I’m almost sure that’s a……
D38925C3-AB90-4D77-9573-630BB82BBF08.png

:)

I was an RF engineering lab kind of guy when I worked, at companies that design cellular chips. So a good portion of that ports over to my former realm of understanding. I was never an audio guy though.

Bottom line, it does tricks!
Well, I was a boom man in another life, so I can tell you that the human frequency range of hearing is 20Hz (low sounds) to 20KHz (high sounds), so the stated range for the tricorder is inside the human auditory range. I am also proud to announce that this and $5 will get you half an espresso at Starbuck's. :p

Well, I was a boom man in another life, so I can tell you that the human frequency range of hearing is 20Hz (low sounds) to 20KHz (high sounds), so the stated range for the tricorder is inside the human auditory range. I am also proud to announce that this and $5 will get you half an espresso at Starbuck's. :p

Ah, yes. But remember, individual results will vary. I live near the Monterey aquarium, and there was a display that displayed a sound at (I believe) 15hz. It stated that this was below the threshold of NORMAL human hearing, but SOME humans could actually hear it. I was with a friend, and I told her to close her eyes, and I pressed the button on the display, and she told me when the sound came on and went off. I knew only because of the little light on the display. But she knew with her eyes closed and could hear it. (could have been 16hz, but around there)

Back