The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

I am still, pulled files or not, so grateful for this thread and inspiring work DaveG!

I am doing a hobby project of my own related to the Y-wing (not a prop or replica and def not commercial) and am in dire need of correct proportions of the Y-wing. Your files, those available, are a great help.

Thanks for the inspiration, hard work and for sharing! <3

A question, how accurate would you say the 3D model is and how close are Gold Leader and Green Leader Y-wings with respect to proportions?

A question, how accurate would you say the 3D model is and how close are Gold Leader and Green Leader Y-wings with respect to proportions?

Here are a couple of overlays on Gold 2. I did have to move some of the parts relative to each other, mainly rotation as the model is not "straight". The only major difference I think was the neck was too short.

Y-wing overlay 01.jpg
Y-wing overlay 02.jpg

Found a pic that shows there is not much if any change in the main layout, neck does look longer on Gold 3 I think, but could be the lighting.

Y-comparision.jpg

Last edited:
THE FORWARD FUSELAGE FILES ARE BACK UP!

I've decided to take a chance and repost the 3D printing files for the Forward Fuselage in the Open Source files repository. Not having them available is a big stumbling block for many and the whole purpose of the Open Source project was to encourage other build. The files are here:

Please, please, PLEASE do not use these files for anything other than personal builds. Please do not print and sell parts. It's digital recasting and while, realistically, there is nothing I can do to stop you... it's so not cool!

Enjoy. Build. Post!

Here are a couple of overlays on Gold 2

That is awesome, thank you! Seems very accurate! Cool work with the overlay!

I've decided to take a chance and repost the 3D printing files

Thank you so, so much! I promise you, this is for personal use only and when my project is picking up speed I will share it where appropriate. I just hope everyone else respects it too.

I've been using the model as it was when I made the post previously, to measure things for my own project. With the whole project, I can do it even better!

In honor of both the awesome 3D model by you DaveG and the many inspiring posts and thoughts about the Y-wing by Studio Kitbash I made this little picture (see below). I did not find any Fibonacci/Golden Ratio gauge for screen use, so I made my own (well, I added Golden Ratio markers to an open source screen ruler I found, minimal effort with reasonable result). Behold, the digitial version of the picture of Studio Kitbash :)

yw-2020-01-20_200335.jpg

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project

Here are further refinements to the armature and fuselage. The support collars on the armature mounting block have been beefed up. The block forming the bottom mount will actually be visible as part of the fuselage. That allowed me to make it as beefy as possible. The main fuselage (blue pieces) will be 3D printed in sections that will assemble around the armature. In the renderings only the right side of the fuselage sections are shown.

Since the fuselage is going to be 3D printed anyway I considered combining the shells and mounting blocks into one set of parts but decided against it since I want to print the armature parts out of ABS or Nylon for strength and the fuselage shells out of PLA to reduce shrinkage and finishing issues.
I didn't see the main fuselage files in the shared google drive, might they be in another spot?

Thank Joberg! The Y has always been my favorite SW ship. I've been wanting to build one for 32 years, even started a couple of times but now that it's finally coming to fruition... well the forward fuselage just make me smile! :)

Some more 3D printed parts from the "neck" section. I'll post the files once I'm sure they fit correctly.

View attachment 741077 View attachment 741078

Here are the various fuselage shells being primed.

View attachment 741079

While the primer is drying I trimmed and fit the Saturn V shells. In addition to providing secure support, the 3D printed armature made trimming and fitting the shells a breeze. I love tech!

View attachment 741080 View attachment 741081 View attachment 741082 View attachment 741083
What scale are the Saturn V parts fro airfix, is it 1/144?
Thanks!

Hello builders!
I have a problem to print parts.
In effect when I open a file the part is very very small (see the screenshot), however I am 100% ...
Do you have a solution?
all Dave G's files are as follows :confused:
Thank you beforehand.
sorry for my poor English

Bonjour les constructeurs!
Je rencontre un problème pour imprimer les pièces.
En effet quand j'ouvre un fichiers la pièce est minuscule (voir la copie écran) pourtant je suis à 100% ...
Avez-vous une solution?
tout les fichiers de Dave G sont ainsi :/
En vous remerciant d'avance.
Désolé pour mon anglais approximatif

2020-05-25.png

The files are all in Imperial units, not metric. Cura's default is metric. Scale the file by 25.4 and it'll be the correct size.

Long live the Empire!
DaveG

The files are all in Imperial units, not metric. Cura's default is metric. Scale the file by 25.4 and it'll be the correct size.

Long live the Empire!
DaveG

I was going to reply something along these lines. So for clarification for those printing at home, you need to scale up everything by 25.4? There are 25.4 mm per inch. So if your piece is say 5mm long in cura, you multiply it by 25.4. This comes out to 127mm then?? I do know an STL file does not contain specific measurements, but rather units. A thing is 5 units long for example. Could be 5 inches or 5 mm depending on the scale it was drawn.
Any way you can give a definitive length/ diameter of a particular piece to confirm these calculations? I'm not currently printing these parts, but do have the same discrepancy within Cura so would like to know for future reference.

THE FORWARD FUSELAGE FILES ARE BACK UP!

I've decided to take a chance and repost the 3D printing files for the Forward Fuselage in the Open Source files repository. Not having them available is a big stumbling block for many and the whole purpose of the Open Source project was to encourage other build. The files are here:

Please, please, PLEASE do not use these files for anything other than personal builds. Please do not print and sell parts. It's digital recasting and while, realistically, there is nothing I can do to stop you... it's so not cool!

Enjoy. Build. Post!
WOOHOO!!! I'm back in business with moving into this build!!
Thank You Dave!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back