Things you're tired of seeing in movies

The recent trend in naming conventions. Here are a few:

Aquaman: Lost Kingdom

Godzilla v Kong: New Empire

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

The Last Kingdom

I swear, the titles have to be some evidence that these scripts are AI generated. I'm sure The Last of the Kingdom: Final Empire: Realm of the New World has been shot down a few times now.
Indiana Jones and The Attack of the Kingdom of The Revenge of the Empire of the Return of the Federation of the Age of the Union of the Arrival of the Rise of the Last Dark Burning Crystal Idol Sword of the Genysis of the Fated Ark.

Starring Queen Latifah as Indyannja "Indy" Loquitia Jones.

Last edited:
If I ever meet an alien while exploring the universe, I'm going to tell them I'm from the Kingdom of the Planet of the Humans.

Go full Hollywood….

Return of the Rise of the Empire of the Fall of the Revenge of the Kingdom of the Planet of the Humans Strikes Back

“This changes everything….”

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

The female character who can (and often does) beat the crap out of people "because I served in the military once". My wife watched the Netflix series 'Fool me once' and the main character was like this. Thing is, she was a British Army helicopter pilot. Male or female, they don't get trained as ninjas!

I was at the theater the other night and they played a trailer for Dune 2. It seemed like it was at least 3 minutes long. I now feel like I've seen it already. Whatever happened to a 30 second trailer that simply presents the premise and doesn't spoil half the movie? What would you have to look forward to otherwise?

I was at the theater the other night and they played a trailer for Dune 2. It seemed like it was at least 3 minutes long. I now feel like I've seen it already. Whatever happened to a 30 second trailer that simply presents the premise and doesn't spoil half the movie? What would you have to look forward to otherwise?
Yep, that's typical. They put everything in it as if they do not know how to build up tension and excitement for the movie. Just like the trailer of "The Book of Boba Fett" when they claimed that it was made of only the first two episodes which was not true at all. These trailers feel like a speedrun of the whole movie. Maybe the makers are so enthusiastic to show everything they have made at once or they cannot decide which part of the movie is interesting enough to be revealed in advance.

I remember in 1982 / 1983 there was a trailer in the theatres which was shown before "E.T.". It was short, about a minute, and showed only a montage of mountains in the desert. The music and the voice-over gave it a very eerie and frightening quality. I was too little to remember which movie was advertised but it was pretty effective. Plain and simple. Ah well, those times are gone now. :)

Yep, that's typical. They put everything in it as if they do not know how to build up tension and excitement for the movie. Just like the trailer of "The Book of Boba Fett" when they claimed that it was made of only the first two episodes which was not true at all. These trailers feel like a speedrun of the whole movie. Maybe the makers are so enthusiastic to show everything they have made at once or they cannot decide which part of the movie is interesting enough to be revealed in advance.

I remember in 1982 / 1983 there was a trailer in the theatres which was shown before "E.T.". It was short, about a minute, and showed only a montage of mountains in the desert. The music and the voice-over gave it a very eerie and frightening quality. I was too little to remember which movie was advertised but it was pretty effective. Plain and simple. Ah well, those times are gone now. :)
Absolutely! Here's an example of a perfect trailer that just gives you a taste without ruining the whole meal...

I should say that I'm not saying a trailer has to be only 30 seconds because you can still be a long(er) trailer without giving away too much. Watch this Raiders trailer. It shows shots from throughout the movie but does so in a way where everything is ambiguous and it's difficult to make out the plot or story beats. It just presents the premise and only teases characters and the action set pieces. It only gives what's needed.

Here's the Dune trailer I saw if anyone was wondering...

Dune is kind of a tough one. It's a decades old book, and they're realistically targeting the existing fans. They're showing us tastes of how it's all been handled, rather than trying to entice a ton of new fans.

Is it a good idea? TBD.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back