Thor Costume - Need Help

Whit

Hello all,

I am going to be making a Thor costume based on the comics and I need some advice on how to make the scale armor and tunic. Below is an image for reference.

I have already made the hammer and I am in the process of making the helmet. Here's a link to my hammer thread, if interested.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/first-project-completed-mjolnir-92090/

What I am struggling with most is trying to figure out a relatively easy and inexpensive (not cheap though) way to make the scale mail armor.

Anyone care to give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. I will post pics of the process.

Scales just make a pattern for any sheet material to cut out and layer them takes time but cheaper then paying 72 bucks a square yard for good scale material that's already premade, or you could sculted them out of water based clay, take a plaster mold and cast them out of latex or another flexible material if you want to go that route there's more options just figured I put thos 2 out there.

Good luck on your project.

For scales you can get a di cut machine and pump out the same shape a few hundred times then layer them. A Rubbermaid office trash can makes good material for scales. Or you can just go to Michael's and get some sheets of thin plastic. then a little metallic paint and presto.

Dark asylum and Lothahnus,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm concerned about being able to move around easily. The latex material might be the way to go, but I was also thinking about using thin vinyl fabric or something more lightweight and cutting them into 1-1/2" strips, cutting them like fringe and layering them. That way I would have more range of motion than piecing something together that is more rigid...unless I go with Lothahnus's idea and mount the scales individually to a flexible material. Maybe that is what you meant.

Also, I didn't mention this before, but I am trying to get this done by mid Oct for Halloween. If I do a good enough job, I will probably use it for more than just Halloween though.

Dark asylum and Lothahnus,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm concerned about being able to move around easily. The latex material might be the way to go, but I was also thinking about using thin vinyl fabric or something more lightweight and cutting them into 1-1/2" strips, cutting them like fringe and layering them. That way I would have more range of motion than piecing something together that is more rigid...unless I go with Lothahnus's idea and mount the scales individually to a flexible material. Maybe that is what you meant.

Historically scale armor was formed by attaching the individual scales to some sort of fabric or leather backing. You might be able to cheat it some by first attaching your scales to a thin strip of fabric (or other flexible backing) so that you have a 'string' of scales (think party streamer) going either vertically or horizontally and then taking these 'strings' and attaching them to your undershirt. My thinking is that by doing it that way you won't have to worry as much about making sure that the scales all line up properly when you attach them to the main backing/undershirt, just lay the 'strings' out evenly one over another.

You might be able to use some Tibetan cymbals for the round things....

cymbalfinger.jpg

Yes attaching them to a material was my intention. I figured I didn't need to say it as you have to attach the scales. I figured I would let you attach them anyway you want. The scale should only be as rigid as the materiel they are on, depending on the size and shape of the scales this could change. I myself would go with a denim shirt. Not too hot but stronger then a t-shirt. but like i stated that detail is yours to make.

I made a great find at work the other day....I found some small thin plates of aluminum to use for the armor. I'm still working on how to attach everything, but I think I am going to bend each piece around some black 1/8 elastic bands and them sew them to my shirt. I am still waiting to get my shirt I ordered from Jockey.com, but I should be getting that today or tomorrow.

I've bid on some black elastic on ebay, so I will have to wait to get that in to test things out. The aluminum plates are 2-1/2" by 1-1/2" and are 1/32" thick....pretty pliable.

I think I am only going to put the armor on my arms and figure out something else for my legs. It depends on how the armor on the arms goes. Any suggestions on what to do for my pants?

I have also made some progress on my helmet. I'll post some pics soon.

You shouldn't need to bend the plates so long as they're not too large, from what I can tell of real scale armor and the related lamellar armor all of the plates are flat and not rounded at all. But the elastic band idea is pretty good although you don't really need it to be elastic. Anyway, I'd attach the individual scales to your backing forming strips of scales and then sew each strip to your shirt, it's probably not how it was actually done but it should be easier than attaching each scale individually to your shirt; just make sure that you measure things out to see how many whole scales (no half scales, quarter scales, etc.) you'll need to go around your body.

You might be able to get some good tips on how to make scale armor by hitting historical re-enactor sites, particularly Roman legion sites since the Romans were known to wear scale armor (lorica squamata). At the very least you should be able to find diagrams on how to attach the scales to a backing if not some tips and tricks for making a set. The techniques should apply to this project even if you aren't looking at historical accuracy.

Me, I would just punch holes in the scales and sew them directly to the shirt. For me that would make it far less likely for the scales to be off center. But thats just me. As for pants Thor has had many pants from armor leggings to brown leather. You could actually go with almost anything as Thor's pants have been made out of so many things in the past.

Another place to look for instruction would be on a site that focuses on making armour for medieval recreationists. OK, I'll just say it: the Society for Creative Anachronisms or SCA. There are a lot of how to helps on sites that focus on this time period. We (collectively) use plastic or metal to make armour for fighting, so there are a lot of suggestions out there.
Good Luck! Should be a great outfit!

I really hope you take the elements of the Norse history and implement it in the suit.
Its becomes more trustworthy as a norse god.

SL_-_Nordic_Lights-Pewter.jpg

:D

Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was hoping to take the plates I have and bend them around 1/8" elastic...basically making a bracelet and adding plates as I went up my arm. I tried it last night and I wasn't satisfied with it. I'll try to post some pics.

The plates I have already have 1/16" holes on two sides, so I can either get some jump rings and tie them together vertically and then punch holes in the sides to attach them horizontally, or I was thinking of just riveting them to my shirt.

Here is a link to the shirt I have:
Jockey sport long sleeve crew 10182 at Jockey.com Men's Sportswear
I got it one sale...it's a bit big, but should still work well for as my undershirt. I'm a little nervous riveting the plates to such a thin fabric. I don't want it to tear.

Any more thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This is my first costume from scratch.

I have made some progress on the armor. I'll try to post some pics this week.I decided to punch two extra holes in the metal and am stringing them together with 9mm jewelry jump rings. I think it's going to work out alright. I just need to punch a lot more holes. I also found an all black running shirt to replace the one I got from Jockey. I'll wear that under the armor and tunic.

Re: Thor Costume - Need Help_Updated - 9-8-10

Here are the latest pics of parts of my costume. Let me know what you think. I think I am going to finish the helmet with bondo after I sand it. I used some rigid wrap and air drying clay. Sadly the helmet has cracked a bit since these pictures...I think the clay dried too fast.

I thought about trying to make a mold of it and casting it in plastic, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions are very welcome.

I really like the wings for the helmet. Good job. The armor plates have potential definitely. I think once you add the details and complete a sleeve it will look great.

Hey dude,

I'm rather new to the boards here. actually just signed up here today. I'm also doing a Thor Costume, and like you am planning on doing it all from scratch which I offer mad mad props on. It's a pretty tricky piece in some ways.

It's awesome to see the stuff you've done so far. and its sort of funny that alot of the things I've been planning on doing for mine you're doing as well. (I.E: high density foam hammer)

If I may ask, which direction are you planning on going for the boots? are you thinking of leaning more towards the movie prob side or going for the comics?

PS: The only real section of my costume I've made any sort of real progress on so far, is the scalemail arms. have a look see.http://thingsburgermakes.tumblr.com/

Hey dude,

I'm rather new to the boards here. actually just signed up here today. I'm also doing a Thor Costume, and like you am planning on doing it all from scratch which I offer mad mad props on. It's a pretty tricky piece in some ways.

It's awesome to see the stuff you've done so far. and its sort of funny that alot of the things I've been planning on doing for mine you're doing as well. (I.E: high density foam hammer)

If I may ask, which direction are you planning on going for the boots? are you thinking of leaning more towards the movie prob side or going for the comics?

PS: The only real section of my costume I've made any sort of real progress on so far, is the scalemail arms. have a look see.Things Burger Makes.

Saw the couple images you have of your armor.....Very cool! As far as the boots are concerned, I think I'm going to try and get close to the image I posted at the top of the thread, with the leather straps and medallions on the side. I've got some cheap rubber boots I may use as a base, but I haven't thought a lot about the boots yet. I've been more concerned with the armor and helmet.

I do think I'll either use the boots I have or buy some and add some black leather or vinyl to them to create the knee covers...I'm sure there is a technical name for that part of the boot.

I found some great fabric for the tunic and cape, but I haven't bought them yet. Waiting for a coupon or for the fabric to go on sale. =)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back