Thor Costume - Need Help

Found some great red upholstery fabric at Joann Fabrics for my cape. 50% off. I'll try to post some pics of it.

On the note of capes, does anyone have any advice on sewing one up? Is there a certain pattern to use or can you just make a rectangle?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on how to attach the cape to the silver medallions and then to the tunic? I was thinking of making the two medallions in two pieces and sandwiching the cape ends between them...then I would attached the medallions to the tunic with either heavy duty snaps or Velcro.

I also thought about sewing the cape directly to the tunic and attaching the medallions to the cape.

Thoughts?

Hey dude,

I'm rather new to the boards here. actually just signed up here today. I'm also doing a Thor Costume, and like you am planning on doing it all from scratch which I offer mad mad props on. It's a pretty tricky piece in some ways.

It's awesome to see the stuff you've done so far. and its sort of funny that alot of the things I've been planning on doing for mine you're doing as well. (I.E: high density foam hammer)

If I may ask, which direction are you planning on going for the boots? are you thinking of leaning more towards the movie prob side or going for the comics?

PS: The only real section of my costume I've made any sort of real progress on so far, is the scalemail arms. have a look see.Things Burger Makes.

Dude I like what you've done I'm working on my Thor costume as well...How did you work out the sleeves? For shoulders I'm using Hockey shoulder pads, and I am making a custom vest to go over it that way I can stitch the cape right around the collar of the pads.

Found some great red upholstery fabric at Joann Fabrics for my cape. 50% off. I'll try to post some pics of it.

On the note of capes, does anyone have any advice on sewing one up? Is there a certain pattern to use or can you just make a rectangle?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on how to attach the cape to the silver medallions and then to the tunic? I was thinking of making the two medallions in two pieces and sandwiching the cape ends between them...then I would attached the medallions to the tunic with either heavy duty snaps or Velcro.

I also thought about sewing the cape directly to the tunic and attaching the medallions to the cape.

Thoughts?

Yeah I was having trouble with that but I bought some hockey pads and am using that as the foundation for the armor...Thor's vest I am making custom as well so the hockey pads will go underneath.

the sleeves are scale mail that I ordered from the ring Lord. I've got the work o one finished. I just dont have the slightest clue as to how I'm going to secure it to my arm its become my greatest challenge thus far.

I'm having a tailor friend of mine construct my cape for me. she's making these clasps that are going to go underneath the top medallions. aside from that. though I've almost got my tunic finished. stand by for update pics soon.

Re: Thor Costume - Updated 10-9-2010

Here's an update on my Thor costume. I haven't had a lot of time to work on my costume, but I did get my cape cut out, my helmet bondoed, the main part of my armor done and bought my pants.

I have attached an image of my armor on my arm and a picture of my son's cape....his uses the same material as mine and looks pretty much identical to what mine will look like, when finished.

To keep the armor on, I just ran some string through open holes and basically laced my arm up into the armor. I may individually tie each open end, but we'll see. The armor is basically a sheet that lays over my arm and gets tied up underneath. I also plan on attaching Velcro to the top portion on my shoulder and underneath the tunic to keep the armor from falling.

My mom is currently sewing up my tunic and I think I'll have her hem the cape. It's crunch time now til Halloween, but I'm making progress.

Let me know what you all think. I'll hopefully be posting more soon.

I am making some more progress on my costume....I actually need to be done by this Sat!

The cape is done. The tunic is almost done and will be finish sanding and painting my helmet tonight.

I'll post some pics soon.

Here is my final costume. Well, final as in for now. I wasn't able to get the armor to work as I had hoped, so I scrapped it for now. I do plan on revisiting it, but I have to work on other things, like my house.:rolleyes

Anyway, here is a couple of pics of the costume. I'll try to add some more pics later.

Glad you got it done. Nice to see Thor getting so much love lately. I went with the Ultimate Alliance 2 costume to avoid the plate mail arms and legs. However, this site might be the answer to all prayers when it comes to the plate mail armor...
Whiting & Davis Homepage

Its funny my friend totally showed me this page so I can make my thor costume and then showed me this one

Started my Thor(pic heavy) in Hall of Costumes Forum

its pretty good its material that looks just like the one from the movie

That's Awesome! I thought that type of approach would work, I just didn't think I had the time to do it. I just thought of another idea for the armor. I made my sister a purse out of coffee bean bags that have a woven patten it.

I don't have a picture of it, but if you google candy wrapper purses you get plenty of images. I have a lot of coffee bags and the nice thing about those is that the inside of them is silver. This method would probably take longer than weaving, but you could get the same effect.

I did want to post a question about my costume. Anyone have any advice about reinforcing my cape? The medallions are tied to the cape and then the cape it attached to the vinyl tunic with velcro. I didn't get very aggressive velcro and the cape is fairly heavy that it pulls away from the tunic.

Does anyone have any advice on reinforcing the tunic and fastening the cape better? I thought of three things....Better velcro. permanently attaching the cape to the tunic. or Snaps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Strongly considering dressing up for Free Comic Book Day as well as for the opening of the movie. They happen to fall on the same weekend.

whit: I was thinking the same thing on what I should use to fasten the cape I was going to go with non walmart snaps (they are not that good) you could always permenately attach it but just remember washing could be troublesome lol

whit: I was thinking the same thing on what I should use to fasten the cape I was going to go with non walmart snaps (they are not that good) you could always permenately attach it but just remember washing could be troublesome lol

I just talked to one of my coworkers, who also happens to be a fellow RPFer and we came up with a potential solution. Since my tunic is made of relatively thin vinyl, I struggle with the weight of the cape pulling back on it.

I think I am going to make a strip of leather or some other material to go across my chest with a couple snaps that will poke through the tunic. I will then attach some suspenders or other type of straps with claps from it leading down to my pants. That way I'll have some support on my chest and a tie down spot to reduce the pulling of the cape, all underneath my tunic.

that's a good idea I am using a different material for the vest going with either a leather curias breastplate or just putting a latex Thor vest onto some jacket I don't know until I get either one in. will post when I do get it

cool attempt. I had thought about Thor for awhile, specially with the new movie coming out, but I think I'm going to try and stick to my current Challenge. Haven't really done much with it for a few weeks though, hope to get back on it soon.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back