Tombstone Val Kilmer / Doc Holliday Costume

My NEW Doc Holliday Gambler Knife I had remade.

I wasn’t all that happy with my first version I had made, so I had it redone :) Based on what we can see in the movie (which isn’t much), this is the most screen accurate one we could come up with.

I am a HAPPY man now :cool:
IMG_8300.jpeg
IMG_8302.jpeg
IMG_6013.jpeg
IMG_6014.jpeg
IMG_8297.jpeg

IMG_8301.jpeg

Man I could tell you stories about all the conversations I've had with 'Tombstone's costume designer Joe Porro and Caravan West owner/Texas Jack Vermillion himself Peter Sherayko...

There is so much misinformation out there about Tombstone and who made what it's kind of gotten out of control over the years.

Man I could tell you stories about all the conversations I've had with 'Tombstone's costume designer Joe Porro and Caravan West owner/Texas Jack Vermillion himself Peter Sherayko...

There is so much misinformation out there about Tombstone and who made what it's kind of gotten out of control over the years.
Info coming from the designers who worked on the movie is always welcome:cool::cool:(y)(y)

I would LOVE to sit down with Mr. Porro and have a very long talk with him :)

Hats were ALL provided by Stetson. Says so in the end credits of the movie. Tom Hirt is nowhere to be found in the credits and it was confirmed to me by Peter Sherayko that the hats were ALL Stetson's and that Tom was only brought in (by Peter) to help shape some of the hats. That's it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-24-10-10-58.png
    Screenshot_2024-08-24-10-10-58.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 19
After the movie came out everyone was taking credit for everything in that movie. Wah Maker took credit for providing clothing (they didn't at all), Old West Reproductions told me that they made Curly Bill's spur straps and provided holsters to the movie, they didn't, several bootmakers took credit for Curly Bill & Wyatt's boots when they were made by J.R. Reyes and most of the rest of the boots were provided by Frye Boots. Says so in the end credits. Tom taking credit for making the hats... So many of these rumors still persist.

I am going to have to go on the official record (if there is even such a thing?) by stating that I consider myself the self proclaimed world expert on Val’s wardrobe and props. I can say with 100% certainty that neither of those two hats were used in the movie. Also the cloak is not the one from the movie and I am 70% sure the shirt is not correct either. I can say that the vest and pants look to be the ones Val wore in the movie, however the boots are dead wrong. Now going back to the hats, they could have been hats that were picked for the movie, but for whatever reason didn’t get picked to be worn in the film. Honestly I’m not to surprised about Tom just shaping the Stetson hats, but I definitely don’t believe one thing Peter says as I have caught him in to many lies for stuff he tries to pass off as original screen used props.

I am going to have to go on the official record (if there is even such a thing?) by stating that I consider myself the self proclaimed world expert on Val’s wardrobe and props. I can say with 100% certainty that neither of those two hats were used in the movie. Also the cloak is not the one from the movie and I am 70% sure the shirt is not correct either. I can say that the vest and pants look to be the ones Val wore in the movie, however the boots are dead wrong. Now going back to the hats, they could have been hats that were picked for the movie, but for whatever reason didn’t get picked to be worn in the film. Honestly I’m not to surprised about Tom just shaping the Stetson hats, but I definitely don’t believe one thing Peter says as I have caught him in to many lies for stuff he tries to pass off as original screen used prYe
I am going to have to go on the official record (if there is even such a thing?) by stating that I consider myself the self proclaimed world expert on Val’s wardrobe and props. I can say with 100% certainty that neither of those two hats were used in the movie. Also the cloak is not the one from the movie and I am 70% sure the shirt is not correct either. I can say that the vest and pants look to be the ones Val wore in the movie, however the boots are dead wrong. Now going back to the hats, they could have been hats that were picked for the movie, but for whatever reason didn’t get picked to be worn in the film. Honestly I’m not to surprised about Tom just shaping the Stetson hats, but I definitely don’t believe one thing Peter says as I have caught him in to many lies for stuff he tries to pass off as original screen used props.
Yeah Peter's book is full of stuff that wasn't used in the movie which was really disappointing but I do believe what the end credits of the movie say and Joe Porro. Remember that 'Tombstone' had a tiny budget and they needed multiple hats for every actor as well as the stuntmen, stand ins etc. Joe went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought all the flannel they had in the store to make cowboy shirts and the Buckaroo's wives were sewing cowboy shirts during filming. He literally had no 'costume department'. No way they had the budget or the time to have 1 guy custom make the dozens of hats required. Joe had no idea who Tom Hirt was and he was PISSED that he was taking credit for making the movie hats.

And Peter Sherayko only provided guns, saddles, holsters, gunbelts, chaps and some other set decorations. He didn't supply any of the clothing or costumes. And all the Buckaroo extras brought their own stuff to the shoot.
Joe Porro had to go to England and rent the principle actors frock coats, shirts, pants, vests & ties from Berman & Nathans and had some pieces custom made while he was over there.

I'd been following this thread for a while just because I like the Wild West and clothing from this era in general (I'm currently working on a couple Guy Ritche Sherlock Holmes outfits and the 2013 Lone Ranger) but I finally watched the movie last night and you've really done a great job here. The costuming was incredible, and seeing your recreations makes me wish I could grow a proper mustache so I could cosplay Doc too!

And Peter Sherayko only provided guns, saddles, holsters, gunbelts, chaps and some other set decorations. He didn't supply any of the clothing or costumes. And all the Buckaroo extras brought their own stuff to the shoot.
Joe Porro had to go to England and rent the principle actors frock coats, shirts, pants, vests & ties from Berman & Nathans and had some pieces custom made while he was over there.
I read that the wardrobe for the main actors in the movie came from Europe, but when they got here they were all to small for the actors to wear, so Joseph had fabric brought over from Europe and had there wardrobe made here.

I read that the wardrobe for the main actors in the movie came from Europe, but when they got here they were all to small for the actors to wear, so Joseph had fabric brought over from Europe and had there wardrobe made here.
IIRC some of the screen worn costumes for Kurt & Sam had Nathan's & Berman rental labels in them and one jacket I saw had an Italian maker label in it. One of Kurt's shirts had a "Harry Fitzgerald Inc. Pasadena" label in it.
And interestingly one of Doc's ties had a label on it from being used in an old 50's British production of Jack the Ripper. Stuff came from wherever they could get it.

Last edited:
Back