[update 06/11: Mjolnir done!] Avengers movie props Mjolnir/shield- WIP (pics heavy)

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,
This is my first experience with movie prop building, prior to this I've only built small scale decorations for Warhammers LOTR figurines, such as a (not so movie accurate) Helm's Deep, Weathertop, or Dol Guldur.
But after seeing the Avengers for the third time, I though it would be cool to dedicate my movie room to Marvel's heroes, and super heroes in general, so after finding this forum and quite a bit of research I started with a few things : Thor's Hammer Mjolnir, Cap' shield and Iron Man helmet.
I'll keep Mjolnir and the shield in this thread, because I can't focus on one prop at the time, since I have to wait sometimes weeks before getting the parts I need, so I progress at the same time as I get what I need !

Mjolnir
I got the idea from here, I started with the licensed toy I bought on ebay, rather cheap and good looking !
Once I got it, I filled it with expansible foam, nothing fancy here, but the real work is for the handle. The toy one is not very pretty, and I saw a member here (sorry, can't find the thread again nor his name, but thanks to him !) replacing the handle with a table foot, so I looked in my garage and found an aluminum tube that had the perfect diameter.
I cut it the same length as the toy, since the dimensions seemed quite accurate, and I also bought some leatherish tape that I cut with the same pattern and dimension as the ones on the toy :
photo45en.jpg

The plan is to also fill it with foam once it will be glued to the hammer, but it still was very lightweight, so I found a steel rod in a cheap airsoft gun magazine like this :
photo29p.jpg

and glued it as well as sealed it in foam to the base of the hammer, so the weight will be at the center more or less.
photo37r.jpg

I also tried to make the wrist-trap in the same leatherish tape, using hot glue to fold it like I wanted, but having no experience with a hot glue gun, it didn't turn out how I wanted to, I kinda made a mess So I'll see if I can fix it, since one side is good, but I may end up re-doing it once I'll have mastered the glue gun :lol and bought some more tape, I used everything.
photo54ar.jpg

the good side :
photo18n.jpg

the bad side :
photo28bb.jpg

I quickly assembled all the pieces with tape to see what it looks like, and I'm pretty pleased, even if it's far from perfect. I'll have to glue all of them together with hot glue and make the leather laces too. I'll probably also remake the paint job on the hammer to match the aluminum.
photo46d.jpg

(keep it mind that this is just a test, it needs to be glued carefully with a 0,4 mm gap between each strap, here I randomly made the gaps !)
And here is it next to the toy handle :
photo38x.jpg

They are the same size, it's just the perspective.
Once the hammer itself will be done, I'll quickly make a styrofoam display base in mat black very much like this (found it on google image) :
Thor-Mjolnir-Prop-Replica.jpg

with a nice custom plaque I designed and will have it made by Pastor Jedi :
previewtuf.jpg

This is it for now for Mjolnir.

Captain America Shield
I found a blank shield on eBay in aluminum, and thought I could paint it and cut a star myself for it, so I bought it, and then I search in the RPF for similar thread. Turns out I have the same shield (or very much similar) as Valor, so I pretty much follow his lead, and bought a star from him.
However the dupli color anodized paint is nowhere to be found in my country, nor in neighboring countries, so I order it directly from Dupli color, which cost me more than twice the regular price :unsure.
And even if I have a Valor star, I wanted to make the shield as movie accurate as I could, that means that the star can't stand out of the shield, and gluing it wouldn't do it. So I asked my father if he could engrave the star directly on the shield, using his laser, but he's currently running some test with an aluminum sheet I found in the garage, to be sure he can do it. The thing is, he's a surgeon and it's a medical laser, less powerful than an industrial one, and I really want to make sure he can draw a perfect star, since it's hand operated (with a joystick, behind a screen or really directly using it like a pen). I'd use Valor' star as a template, and as a replacement solution if the laser doesn't work.
Here is the shield, nothing new to all of you, but it's such a beautiful thing !
photo19fm.jpg

And I also have a custom plaque for it :
previewcj.jpg

That's all I got, any critics, suggestions, positive or negative are welcome, and I'm forever grateful to this forum and all its members for sharing their knowledge, without it I wouldn't even have dreamed about doing this !

ps : Iron Man props will be in another thread, because after seeing some foam suits, I just have to try it myself ! And I'll start as soon as I get the foam.

ps2 : I apologize for any spelling mistakes or incorrect grammar use, I try to be careful but english is not my first language.

Last edited:
Re: Avengers movie props Mjolnir/shield- WIP (pic heavy)

This is very cool! I kept telling myself that I didn't want any props besides Cap's shield, but this hammer idea is just too cool! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see how the laser idea works out.

wow! another person whose actually seen the avengers more than twice! I thought i was the only one. I've even out-geeked my 25 year old brother on this one, and that's pretty hard to do.

Oh no, don't worry you're not the only one ^^ most of my friends have seen it multiple times too, and I can't wait for the blu-ray ! I predict a Marvel marathon somewhere in my near future :p
On the side note, the hammer is being painted and I'm adding final details on the handle, the stitching is really long and fastidious, but I like the result. It's not actually stitching though, I glue thin leather pieces in "X" shape, it looks good enough for me.
I also got the paint for my shield, but still waiting to hear from my dad about the laser before I start to paint it. Pics of Mjolnir and it's polystyrene foam display coming soon !

can i get a link to the hammer toy you used for the head of the hammer? ive been looking into a couple online and im not sure which one is the best

Could anyone give me the size/dimensions of third hammer? I've been trying to draw a scale diagram if it but all I've really had to go on is that its 8.5inches long and 5.5inches wide and 5.5 inches tall, could anyone tell me if that's correct and also the angles of the ends of the head. I pretty much need to know every single dimension as I'm planing on casting one in aluminium and then moving onto steel, any help would be much appreciated :) and nice work with the handle by the way.

I can measure mine once I get back home in a few hours if you want, but keep in mind that it is the toy version, it looks very movie accurate regarding dimensions but it might be slightly different in reality.

That would be great thanks, yea I realise that but its all I have to go on so I'd be happy making a copy the same size as the toy. What I've drawn up so far looks very close to what I've seen in the movies.

All right here we go : it's 8,6 inches (22 cm) on 5,3 inches (13,5 cm) on 5,3 inches. And the flat parts on each side of the hammer are 3,9 inches on 3,9 inches (10x10 cm).
And a sneak peak of my paint job (not 100% done):
photo4ias.jpg

Things are moving, I've applied primer on the hammer display, handle is pretty much done but needs some cleaning, and i'll start a thread for my iron man suit soon probably. Not much worth taking pictures !

Looking good so far :) thanks for the sizes any chance you could find out the angles of the ends and the angles of the flat pieces around the main middle part I imagine they are 45 degrees, I'm just unsure of the ends of the hammer thanks :)

And also could you measure the middle part excluding the ends I would be extremely grateful!

Sure, but I'll do that tomorrow if you don't mind, because it's already 11:20 pm here and I need some sleep :sleep

The wonderful thing about hot glue.. Apply some heat to it, and you can rework the glue itself.. If it is too worse to fix that way, and alcohol won't damage the piece you're working with, then you can slowly rub Asopropyl alcohol over the dry hot glue and slightly around the surrounding area and it will make the glue pliable enough to remove without damaging the piece with the glue on it (of course as long as alcohol won't ruin it)

So, the body of the hammer is 9,5 cm on 15,5 cm (6.1x3.75 inches) and you were right, the angles are 45•
Thanks for the tip Ashiva ;) Actually it turned out in my defavor today, I was trying to bend a foam piece that has some details glued on with a hot air gun, and let's just say next time I'll bend first and glue later !

Thanks again my friend, I should be moving onto the molding stage soon I just have to purchase some molding wax :)

Re: [update 06/11 : Mjolnir done !] Avengers movie props Mjolnir/shield- WIP (pics he

I finally finished Mjolnir today, it's still not perfect, but it is just meant to be a shelf display piece not to be touched even less grabbed. As long as you're not looking at it from too close, you wont see the imperfections : a few shiny spots of superglue around the stitches, some minor scratches and imperfections in the paint and the molding trace, that are still a bit visible despite my intense sanding and thick paint coats on the edges... Anyway, here it is :
photo212j.jpg

photo112qt.jpg

photovmd.jpg

I've already fixed some of these issues, mostly with the paint job, but I won't redo anything now, it's time to focus on the shield and Iron Man mk 7 suit.

Cap's shield however hasn't moved yet, I'm still waiting to do some test with the laser to engrave the star. If that doesn't work out, I have a nice star from Valor that will be just fine. Also waiting for Valor's next brackets run.
photo47s.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back