[WIP] Creature from the Black Lagoon Mask Sculpt

Kulf

Hello everyone! After a long time of lurking and feeling amazed by the work here, I've decided to throw my hat into the ring with my first serious project.

I've never done any real sculpting or mask making before, so I'm learning as I go along.

I was inspired by this image here (pardon the language):
312360.jpg
(a Kayne west quote for those scratching there heads)

Seeing as Halloween was coming up I decided this would be a great Halloween costume idea. So I bought a cheapo head from Amazon, 25lbs of clay, and got sculpting.

IMG_20151010_112854897.jpgIMG_20151010_112827803.jpg

Too much duck face. I found getting the rough shapes a bit tough at first. I'm learning a lot from this. I'll find myself sculpting too many details and getting tunnel-vision. I ripped most of that off and then built it make up making sure to focus on large forms and the silhouette.

I found it helpful to stop working, take a photo, and then draw on it the next day with an app on my phone. I really start to see what needs fixing:
Sketch106115952.jpg

Here is where I am currently:
IMG_20151012_182342018.jpg

The gills need a lot of work (all those lines!), shapes need more refinement, and the cheeks need to be knocked down. I have no idea how I'll actually mold the thing once done, but I'm happy with where I'm at so far. Not going for a studio replica here :lol

That looks great! That's a sculpt I would like to tackle one day. Did you see the Universal Studio's mask? Also, a young artist by the name of Kyle has done an amazing job with his version - both great for reference.. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will turn out great; you have the hardest part behind you!

Thanks for the kind words.

That looks great! That's a sculpt I would like to tackle one day. Did you see the Universal Studio's mask? Also, a young artist by the name of Kyle has done an amazing job with his version - both great for reference.. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will turn out great; you have the hardest part behind you!

Do you mean this mask? If so, I do like this one and I'm using it a bit for reference.
universalcreature.jpg

Made some more progress today.

IMG_20151024_240721307_HDR.jpgIMG_20151024_240147011_HDR.jpg

Ended up resculpting a bit of the nose and cheek area. I can't tell you how many times I've sculpted and resculpted the gills. I just can't get them right. Still not happy with how the top set look, but need to push forward. Easily the most difficult part for me.

Really pushing to get it done for Halloween! Still need to mold, cast, and paint in 7 days. Here we go! :wacko

This is great; immediately recognizable! Those gills do look tough to get right, so much weird form going on there. Making great progress though!

After you get the right shape for the gills, and are satisfied with them, the right tool will bring out the feathery lines of gills. One of the problems I seem to get into is that I rush into the details before getting the general shape of the sculpt - more out of enthusiasm than anything. It probably goes without saying, just keep plugging away and put the time into it and those gills will look great. You obviously have the skill!

Appreciate the kind words.I'm very close to being finished with the sculpt. One final finishing pass left. It's crunch time.

Took photos with my better camera this time.

gillman-1.jpggillman-2.jpggillman-3.jpggillman-4.jpggillman-5.jpggillman-6.jpg

Also, I've never molded anything before, so any recommendations for how to tackle this would be immensely appreciated.

:D

i think if i had to mold it my mold line would be here:

blagoon1.JPG

just a thought....i would be interested to hear what mr mold maker had to say also.

View attachment 545677

just a thought....i would be interested to hear what mr mold maker had to say also.

I like that. If you want minimal clean up, that's a great way to go. The only thing I'd worry about is the slight undercut on the top of the head, but as long as the mold won't touch the core on the way out it shouldn't lock.

If you aren't confident making a more complicated mold wall, I'd perhaps split it flat down the middle of the face. It would be easier to clean up the seam if you avoid the gills.

View attachment 545677

Thanks. I would probably go with this too if I was more confident in my mold making abilities. I'll most likely go with the wall straight up the middle front to back (not as afraid of cleanup as I am of destroying the mold and sculpt).

One thing I've seen in my research is that some molds (this specific image is allegedly from some original or remold) build the wall through the gills:
creech3.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back