Y-Wing Build (DaveG Open Source)

Happy Pre-Thanksgiving!

Front fuselage is done! Panel details, torpedo shroud, and front cannons built and ready for final glue-up.

View attachment 1371816View attachment 1371817View attachment 1371815View attachment 1371819View attachment 1371820View attachment 1371822

Temporary assembly pics too. Once I get greeblies on the nacelles, the pipe bending completes major construction. I can see the light at the end of this tunnel.

View attachment 1371828 View attachment 1371829
Do you remember brass sizes and lengths?

HI All,

Update on the Y-Wing. I printed the canopy on my Photon resin printer. It printed great but was slightly thin and felt flimsy. My intent was to reinforce 'just enough' but it turned into a small scratch building exercise. I know most of this wont be very visible but it was fun to embellish. I very loosely followed some screenshots of a Y-Wing cockpit from EA's Squadrons.

Annotation 2020-11-23 4.png Annotation 2020-11-23 2.png IMG_0096.jpg IMG_0148.jpg IMG_0154.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0162.jpg

I have about 20 complete LEggs pantyhose containers available for Y-wing builders.
4 are required per Y-wing.
Hello Jkirkon,
Do still have the containers available? I am building a studio scale Y-Wing and would be very interested. Thank you and Nest regards, Mark

HI All,

Update on the Y-Wing. I printed the canopy on my Photon resin printer. It printed great but was slightly thin and felt flimsy. My intent was to reinforce 'just enough' but it turned into a small scratch building exercise. I know most of this wont be very visible but it was fun to embellish. I very loosely followed some screenshots of a Y-Wing cockpit from EA's Squadrons.

View attachment 1412494 View attachment 1412495 View attachment 1412488 View attachment 1412489 View attachment 1412490 View attachment 1412491 View attachment 1412492 View attachment 1412493

Wow I LOVE what you did with the canopy here. The greeblies in the back make it feel more like the guns on top are connected to something. Very cool! I might have to steal this idea for my 1/48 build I'm doing...

SB

Hello Jkirkon,
Do still have the containers available? I am building a studio scale Y-Wing and would be very interested. Thank you and Nest regards, Mark
I’ll have to check, but I think I have a few sets left. Are you in the US?

Wow I LOVE what you did with the canopy here. The greeblies in the back make it feel more like the guns on top are connected to something. Very cool! I might have to steal this idea for my 1/48 build I'm doing...

SB

Thanks so much! Take inspiration freely.

I'm very close to paint prep. Two construction items remain- Droid unit and fuselage piping. I tackled the droid unit this weekend. I found editable models of an R2-D2 and R5-D4 online. I decided to go with the R5-D4 for the Y-Wing. I'm using an R2 unit for a studio scale X-wing soon to follow. Some pics:

Screenshot 2021-04-09 104630.png
I designed the R5 unit around the droid-shaped hole but sometimes things in real life turn out different than what the digital version presents. So, I printed 3 units, each 3% larger than the previous. Printing more parts on a resin printer takes the same amount of time so fill up the plate!

image3.jpeg
Final prints arranged smallest to largest.

image2.jpeg image0.jpeg
I chose the middle size. The size seems right to me.

Fingers crossed that piping can be completed this week.

Looks great!

I had an insanely difficult time using aluminum for the curved pipes. They always linked, no matter the technique i tried.
Wound up using styrene, heated gently over a candle flame, and they came out perfectly.

Nice job!

Looks great!

I had an insanely difficult time using aluminum for the curved pipes. They always linked, no matter the technique i tried.
Wound up using styrene, heated gently over a candle flame, and they came out perfectly.

Nice job!
I’m using K&S solid aluminum rod, 3/32 and 1/8” diameter. Were you using tubing? If so, I could see that easily kinking on the right bends.

Good progress yesterday. I'm done with the top after a couple more pipes. The remainder of the pipe work is on the bottom. I need a couple more packages of K&S aluminum rod before I can wrap this up. It's nice working with the solid aluminum rod because it maintains shape post-bending. It's also more rigid as compared with long styrene runs. Even so, I'll also do some bend tests with styrene and use it were it seems appropriate.

IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0279.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back