Younger Nightwing (I'm 15 and requiring assistance)

danburnsjla15

Hi, so, as the title suggests, I'm trying to make a Nightwing costume but a slightly younger version. I'm 15, 5'7", slim build and on a budget of around £400 (sorry don't know that in dollars).

I'm taking inspiration from the New 52 look, Young Justice and Son of Batman. Also with design elements from Captain America TWS and AoU costumes and the Arkham Knight suit and Batsuit from Batman Arkham Knight.

Done a couple of costumes before but this one I'm needing some help on. Any advice on materials, methods etc would be really appreciated. Thanks RPF :D
YJ.jpgwsc.jpgNightwing Animated.jpgNightwing Sketch.jpg,,ak.jpg,.ak.jpg

Last edited:
Probably the most important thing to do first is get a solid idea of what you want the suit to look like. Maybe draw up some sketches taking inspiration from the things you mentioned, and try and figure out what kinds of materials you want to use. It doesn't have to be the Mona Lisa, just something to get started. As for materials, some ideas:

EVA foam mats or craft foam - they also sell EVA mats in a roll, they're slightly thinner than the puzzle piece ones
Cardstock/cardboard with Pepakura - if all of your pieces end up being custom designed, then you'd have to pick up 3D modeling to go this route (or find someone to model it for you). After you cut out your pieces you fiberglass them and use Bondo to smooth them out.
Sintra - a plastic that you can buy in big sheets for pretty cheap, either at 1/8", 1/4", or 1/2" thickness (I think), I'd reccommend getting a hot knife to cut this stuff

EDIT: Actually, if your designs are simple enough, you wouldn't have to use pepakura to go the cardstock/cardboard route. That means you wouldn't have to learn 3D modeling, which is pretty time consuming. You could just free hand it.

Thanks for the advice DarthStevenus. I'd pretty much decided on EVA foam for any armoured parts (I've got about 7 huge gym mats that I can use). You sure you don't know me? I tend to spend a long time making sketches perfect :lol.

The thing I'm really struggling on is deciding what fabric to use. I wanted to incorporate some kind of leather in the suit somewhere to give it some texture and weight in places. I found some nice like suede that looks like it has dots of leather in it (don't know if there's a name for it). I also wanted to have a good stretch fabric and have found some dark gunmetal metallic lycra that I really like.

There's another thread here that linked to a video of ismahawk's upcoming Nightwing series on Youtube. They were talking about some of the fabrics they used for their suit, maybe that can give you some ideas. I think the thread is titled "Functional Nightwing costume" or something like that. In the video they said they used spandex, some kind of twill, and spacer mesh. I think they mentioned one other fabric, but they just said it "looked like kevlar" or something. They weren't specific.

I think they mentioned one other fabric, but they just said it "looked like kevlar" or something. They weren't specific.
I read that thread and thought exactly that, so I started this thread, in the hopes of attracting some more classical Nightwing fans (as well as those who are seriously hyped for Arkham Knight).

Anyways, thanks for pointing this out, I didn't watch the video when I read the thread. Might go and check it out.

Just realised I need boots for this (always the most difficult part in my opinion). Now, my ideas so far have been either Japanese Tabi boots or boxing boots. I've found both for a very reasonable price, but wasn't sure how they would perform outside. If anyone has any better suggestions, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

I would not go with boxing boots if I were you. Those are made especially for use in the ring. Just for walking around, especially at an all-day event like a convention, they will be super uncomfortable. And they tend to be so form-fitting, they do not allow for the insert solution.

While the Tabi boots are likely to offer much better support, that one is kind of up to you. The split-toe design always reminds me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I think they look kind of goofy, but that is just my own personal preference.

I am always a fan sturdy combat boots, as the soles tend to be made for long-wear, and they offer good ankle support. But, the soles are also a bit big for the look you are going for. So I would either find a shoe with the right kind of sole you want (the New 52 pic you have shows the sole looking like many currently-styled running shoes) and cover the top in a material like vinyl or thin craft foam, or find a leather boot (in the style of your choice). Again, these suggestions are along the lines of what I would go for, but it is your costume, so use the Tabi boots if you feel they suit you better.

I would not go with boxing boots if I were you. Those are made especially for use in the ring. Just for walking around, especially at an all-day event like a convention, they will be super uncomfortable. And they tend to be so form-fitting, they do not allow for the insert solution.

While the Tabi boots are likely to offer much better support, that one is kind of up to you. The split-toe design always reminds me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I think they look kind of goofy, but that is just my own personal preference.

I am always a fan sturdy combat boots, as the soles tend to be made for long-wear, and they offer good ankle support. But, the soles are also a bit big for the look you are going for. So I would either find a shoe with the right kind of sole you want (the New 52 pic you have shows the sole looking like many currently-styled running shoes) and cover the top in a material like vinyl or thin craft foam, or find a leather boot (in the style of your choice). Again, these suggestions are along the lines of what I would go for, but it is your costume, so use the Tabi boots if you feel they suit you better.

Thanks for the warning Vox. That wouldn't have been a nice surprise. I always think TMNT too :lol, but then again, Nightwing's a bit of a ninja. I used running shoes for my Arrow costume in May, but, by the time I got home the tops had come off so I'm not sure how I should attach material to them anymore. I always find combat boots to clunky and big for a costume like Nightwing, so I may end up using the Tabis although I've never actually worn a pair.

Hi there. There are pics of my version of a functional Nightwing costume using a leather jacket in my albums here. It might help and give you some ideas.

http://www.therpf.com/members/br2814/albums/wondercon-2014-friday-nightwing-vs-bane/

Thanks man, I love the mask. I've decided on using skinny fit chinos (like you used trousers for yours) for the lower half of the costume, with some armour pieces on the thighs and attached to the boots. I like the idea of using a jacket but kinda wanted something more form fitting and streamlined if you know what I mean.

I read that thread and thought exactly that, so I started this thread, in the hopes of attracting some more classical Nightwing fans (as well as those who are seriously hyped for Arkham Knight).

Anyways, thanks for pointing this out, I didn't watch the video when I read the thread. Might go and check it out.
That was my thread, and for the "looked like kevlar" part I was thinking of using ballistic nylon or cordura or something similar to that. Here's a link to a website where you can get ballistic nylon and cordura: https://diygearsupply.com/product/ballistic-nylon/

I've never ordered from them, but that's where I'm planning on getting my more military-ish fabric right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the warning Vox. That wouldn't have been a nice surprise. I always think TMNT too :lol, but then again, Nightwing's a bit of a ninja. I used running shoes for my Arrow costume in May, but, by the time I got home the tops had come off so I'm not sure how I should attach material to them anymore. I always find combat boots to clunky and big for a costume like Nightwing, so I may end up using the Tabis although I've never actually worn a pair.

Also, I've worn tabis a bit before and they're pretty comfortable IMO. I'd like to use them for my suit, because they're slimmer than the boots I have now, but I dont think they'll arrive by the time I need them.

That was my thread, and for the "looked like kevlar" part I was thinking of using ballistic nylon or cordura or something similar to that. Here's a link to a website where you can get ballistic nylon and cordura: https://diygearsupply.com/product/ballistic-nylon/

I've never ordered from them, but that's where I'm planning on getting my more military-ish fabric right now.

Thanks for clearing that up and for the link.

Also, I've worn tabis a bit before and they're pretty comfortable IMO. I'd like to use them for my suit, because they're slimmer than the boots I have now, but I dont think they'll arrive by the time I need them.

Its good to have a second opinion on them, thanks. Just wondering when you need yours for? My next con's in November so I think I've got enough time

Its good to have a second opinion on them, thanks. Just wondering when you need yours for? My next con's in November so I think I've got enough time

The link was no problem, and SDCC is my next con. You probably have enough time for them. For Nightwing I have a few styles that I like and I think could look nice. For a high-calf boot this one is really cool: Jika Tabi - Takesyo Zipper Black Jikatabi
But if you want a simpler design or a lower boot the Rikio Fighter tabi boots are nice. I think those are available on amazon as well as the website I just linked.

The link was no problem, and SDCC is my next con. You probably have enough time for them. For Nightwing I have a few styles that I like and I think could look nice. For a high-calf boot this one is really cool: Jika Tabi - Takesyo Zipper Black Jikatabi
But if you want a simpler design or a lower boot the Rikio Fighter tabi boots are nice. I think those are available on amazon as well as the website I just linked.

Thanks for the suggestions, I found some tabi boots on amazon for quite a reasonable price (I think it converts to around the same price as those high-calf ones in the UK) and with very good reviews.

Thanks for the suggestions, I found some tabi boots on amazon for quite a reasonable price (I think it converts to around the same price as those high-calf ones in the UK) and with very good reviews.

Alright, glad I could help. It's your build and if you like the shoes I'd say to go with it. The sizing is usually in cm and I've heard people recommend that you get about a half cm bigger than your actual foot, but I can't remember where I read that or if that applies to what your getting. Anyways, see if the reviews mention anything like that just in case.

Alright, glad I could help. It's your build and if you like the shoes I'd say to go with it. The sizing is usually in cm and I've heard people recommend that you get about a half cm bigger than your actual foot, but I can't remember where I read that or if that applies to what your getting. Anyways, see if the reviews mention anything like that just in case.

Thanks fot that, I'll have another look and do some more research online and I'll be sure to post some WIP pics after I get started :D

This may be out of your budget, but I bought a pair of these and have used them for a variety of costumes: Medieval Fantasy High Boots "Forest" for sca and reenacment for sale :: by medieval store ArmStreet

They are custom-made to your measurements, and I am very happy with the fit. I do wear an insole in them for comfort at cons, since I'm walking around on concrete floors all day! If you sign up for Armstreet's newsletters, they periodically send out stuff about sales. I've worn them for Green Arrow (comic version), Catwoman, and am planning to use them for my upcoming Tim Drake Robin too. And I've even worn them to work! I had thought about getting tabi boots, but I liked the fact that these ones were taller than most of the tabi boots I could find locally (well, and I've always wanted a pair of boots like this!).

Here's a pic of them with my Catwoman-inspired costume from my local convention this Spring, though the lighting makes them a bit hard to see.

occ_2014_day_1_IMG_1289.jpg

This may be out of your budget, but I bought a pair of these and have used them for a variety of costumes: Medieval Fantasy High Boots "Forest" for sca and reenacment for sale :: by medieval store ArmStreet

They are custom-made to your measurements, and I am very happy with the fit. I do wear an insole in them for comfort at cons, since I'm walking around on concrete floors all day! If you sign up for Armstreet's newsletters, they periodically send out stuff about sales. I've worn them for Green Arrow (comic version), Catwoman, and am planning to use them for my upcoming Tim Drake Robin too. And I've even worn them to work! I had thought about getting tabi boots, but I liked the fact that these ones were taller than most of the tabi boots I could find locally (well, and I've always wanted a pair of boots like this!).

Here's a pic of them with my Catwoman-inspired costume from my local convention this Spring, though the lighting makes them a bit hard to see.

View attachment 343958

Wow, they look awesome, but, yeah, there just the slightest bit out of my budget. The length of the boot doesn't really matter because I'll be making armoured shin guards to go over most of the boot. There really more of a form fitting base to build on, so I don't really want to splash out on boots like those. I'm probably going to attempt a Tim Drake Robin costume as well, so I look forward to seeing your take on it.

Wow, they look awesome, but, yeah, there just the slightest bit out of my budget. The length of the boot doesn't really matter because I'll be making armoured shin guards to go over most of the boot. There really more of a form fitting base to build on, so I don't really want to splash out on boots like those. I'm probably going to attempt a Tim Drake Robin costume as well, so I look forward to seeing your take on it.

They are pretty amazing boots, but yeah... the only reason I shelled out the money (though I did get them on sale, so they were even a bit cheaper than they are now) is because I knew I would get a fair amount of use out of them, and I had always wanted tall black leather boots but could never find any that I liked and that fit properly. So when I had the chance to get them custom-made to my measurements, I jumped on it!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this build come together. I love Nightwing's look, and I love seeing different takes on it.

Hopefully I have Robin done for Toronto FanExpo at the end of August. I doubt my ability to actually make the cape, though (I'm just learning how to sew, and it's a little overwhelming!).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back