Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files **Update Jan 3, 2013**

nah, if anything its too big. I'm just not certain how much front/back room I should have. I know there will be padding for sure and electronics(if I can figure them out) but I guess it will just take putting one together and trying it out. Thanks for the input though.

You should be most concerned about the width. If the sides of your tester helmet are bulging out to accommodate your ears then the regular helmet won't fit right when it is hardened.

Does anyone have any advice on getting the scaling at least close to right in Pepakura before printing? I have had to remake every part because of it being to big or to small and at this rate I will have a whole suit or 2 of to big/small parts. I have tried measuring my body and converting it to mm and comparing it to the mm in the scale screen but it doesn't seem to work. Does width mean my left to right and height mean my lower to higher etc? That's what I have been assuming. Or does it depends on the model and who made it?
Sent from Andriod

You should use the measurement tool. I know I have mentioned this a few times and I think it is in the tips on the first post. Right-click in the 2D window and it is at the bottom of the pop-up menu. This will allow you to take any measurement you want and is a lot more precise than the bounding box measurements you see as the 'assembled size'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to thank sylvester86 for being a big supporter of my work and for his contributions to this project. Your name has been added to the VIP list and you will get the 2 months access to the V2 files.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should use the measurement tool. I know I have mentioned this a few times and I think it is in the tips on the first post. Right-click in the 2D window and it is at the bottom of the pop-up menu. This will allow you to take any measurement you want and is a lot more precise than the bounding box measurements you see as the 'assembled size'.

Yeah I remember you saying that but I didn't see it in the menu. I'll look again when I get home. Thank you.

Sent from Andriod

Does anyone have any advice on getting the scaling at least close to right in Pepakura before printing? I have had to remake every part because of it being to big or to small and at this rate I will have a whole suit or 2 of to big/small parts. I have tried measuring my body and converting it to mm and comparing it to the mm in the scale screen but it doesn't seem to work. Does width mean my left to right and height mean my lower to higher etc? That's what I have been assuming. Or does it depends on the model and who made it?

Sent from Andriod

As someone who has built 2 helmets already, 1.0 scale ( too big ), 0.95 ( too small), the only advice I can give you is to use your height as a base. For example, I'm 5"9 - 5"10 so that's 69 to 70 inches. The helmet was designed for a 6 feet ( 72 inches ) person at the default scale of 1.00 I assume? So you take your height and divide by 72. For me it was 69.5/72 which turned out to be 0.965. I want to put electronics and servos inside so I wanted a 0.97 scale just to be safe, not to mention that I have a wider head.... :cry. Hope that helps.

Hey darkside or anyone else, I have a question about building. At which stage do I cut out the faceplate? After the fiberglass? After bondo? Or after painting?

As someone who has built 2 helmets already, 1.0 scale ( too big ), 0.95 ( too small), the only advice I can give you is to use your height as a base. For example, I'm 5"9 - 5"10 so that's 69 to 70 inches. The helmet was designed for a 6 feet ( 72 inches ) person at the default scale of 1.00 I assume? So you take your height and divide by 72. For me it was 69.5/72 which turned out to be 0.965. I want to put electronics and servos inside so I wanted a 0.97 scale just to be safe, not to mention that I have a wider head.... :cry. Hope that helps.

Hey darkside or anyone else, I have a question about building. At which stage do I cut out the faceplate? After the fiberglass? After bondo? Or after painting?

After Bondo. Then repair damage from cutting. Then paint.

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. I guess I need to see how much room I will need for electronics before I make another helmet.

Sent from Andriod

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. I guess I need to see how much room I will need for electronics before I make another helmet.

Sent from Andriod

It doesn't work that way though. It all depends on what scale the model is created at in the 3D program. Then when it is imported into pepakura designer the scale of 1.0 may not equal a 6' tall set or armor. I can make a small model in the 3D program and scale it to 1.0 in PD and then make a big model in the 3D program and scale it to 1.0 in PD and the bigger model will be bigger after you build them even though they were both scaled at 1.0 in PD. Now if I set the bigger model to a scale of .5 and left the smaller model at 1.0 and built them that way then they would be the same size (depending on the difference in their size as 3D models).

It doesn't work that way though. It all depends on what scale the model is created at in the 3D program. Then when it is imported into pepakura designer the scale of 1.0 may not equal a 6' tall set or armor. I can make a small model in the 3D program and scale it to 1.0 in PD and then make a big model in the 3D program and scale it to 1.0 in PD and the bigger model will be bigger after you build them even though they were both scaled at 1.0 in PD. Now if I set the bigger model to a scale of .5 and left the smaller model at 1.0 and built them that way then they would be the same size (depending on the difference in their size as 3D models).

Hmm, yeah I didn't think about that. I just need to check out that measurement tool. Still learning all the features in pepakura.

Sent from Andriod

i tried to open the markvii helmet file but my pepakura software keeps spazzing out,i dont know if anyone else had this problem. but does anybody have any help?

Yeah I remember you saying that but I didn't see it in the menu. I'll look again when I get home. Thank you.

Sent from Andriod

Had the same problem. This function appeared in the last version of Pep Designer. So you have to download and install it again.

For your scale problem, I'm 5'10''. 1.05 was too big, 0.95 too small, so I tried 1.00. I'll post a picture with the tester helmet later. I haven't that much place left in the helmet. I hope the electronics will fit. And I guess the helmet looks bigger without chest and shoulder.

i tried to open the markvii helmet file but my pepakura software keeps spazzing out,i dont know if anyone else had this problem. but does anybody have any help?

If you only have Pep Designer installed and double-click the file to open it, it'll ask for Pep viewer executable. Don't try to use the Pep Designer exe or it'll loop endlessly and you won't be able to do anything until you reboot your computer.

If you open the file from Pep Designer, it'll ask a password.

In short words: USE THE VIEWER.

(you won't be able to scale it and it's intended, ask to Dark to scale it for you, in your case Punt: scale 0.99)

Had the same problem. This function appeared in the last version of Pep Designer. So you have to download and install it again.

For your scale problem, I'm 5'10''. 1.05 was too big, 0.95 too small, so I tried 1.00. I'll post a picture with the tester helmet later. I haven't that much place left in the helmet. I hope the electronics will fit. And I guess the helmet looks bigger without chest and shoulder.

really? so which version do I need to have that option? 3.0.7a (that's the most current "last version") or older?

Actually, just to be safe, and to not waste your time, can I get the 0.97 pepakura on letter size? I'm around 5"9-5"10 and I need a bit space for electronics, hinges, and servos, do you think that's a good scale? I'm open to suggestions, thanks again!!!!

Ok the .97 pepakura on letter is uploaded.

-Really? Wow..... I'm about halfpoint between 5'9" and 5'10". Do you think I need 0.97 or 0.99?

-Thank you Darkside501st for uploading 0.97!

-I've thought I saw somehwere that 1.00 scale was designed for a 6 ft person. Sorry for the confusion, JacobGates!!!!!

Hey man,

I'm using your Pep files for my foam Mk7 suit, and I gotta say you've done some amazing work with these. I'm sure you've already thought about it, but for anyone else seeing the feed, I had a small addition. For the cutout pieces, like the indentations in the detailed areas of the lower forearm, you could avoid cutting out the small inserts entirely. Hobby shops like Michaels have incredibly thin foam which is the same material as EVA for appearance's sake, and you could just line the interior of the piece with it to avoid headaches. That gives it the raised-appearance without having to worry about those annoying little sausage-looking pieces.

Long-winded, but I thought it could help.
I'll post pics in a couple hours of what I have done.

really? so which version do I need to have that option? 3.0.7a (that's the most current "last version") or older?

I've got the 3.1.0a version. I just checked on Pepakura Designer and it's available.

-Really? Wow..... I'm about halfpoint between 5'9" and 5'10". Do you think I need 0.97 or 0.99?
I tested the 0.95 and couldn't put my head in it. Tried 1.00 and that worked. I didn't have the courage to try another one at 0.97.

I just cut a slit in the back of the 0.95 and it fit. So I made a few picture to show you. Maybe you'll be able to give me your opinion

Version 0.95:

Version 1.00:

So I guess the 1.00 is a little too big and I would go for a 0.97?

Devilflash, you could just line the interior with any kind of comfortable material. I did the same thing with my Resin/Pep helmet, turned out fine.

The padding is not a problem. I'm more concerned about the proportions of the whole armor. Don't want to have a chibi Iron Man :D But I planned to motorize it, so I need space for hinges, servos and power supplies.

Well, I'll go with a 1.00, resin it, bondo it, sand it. As it is my first pep ever, that will be a good practice. If it turns out to be too big, I'll make another one but any advice are, indeed, welcome and heartily accepted :)

Yeah, my advice, if you're inexperienced with the resin/bondo process, try looking up "iron man pepakura helmet" on youtube. There's this user "boochieboy" with some numbers in the name. Has the whole process up on video.

Can anybody help me in scaling the abs part? I don't know how to scale it :$

-I've thought I saw somehwere that 1.00 scale was designed for a 6 ft person. Sorry for the confusion, JacobGates!!!!!

its fine, I have read something like that too but I think it was on a different person's files so they could made it for 6'.

I've got the 3.1.0a version. I just checked on Pepakura Designer and it's available.

I'm pretty sure I have the 3.1.0a version too but I haven't checked it yet. Been working 12 hour shifts the past 2 days so I haven't had a chance to do anything but work and sleep.

Sent from Andriod

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back