MIM at it again (recasting)

I still have my blaster in kit form, straight from the maker himself! Just waiting for the spare time to build it! It's only been a few years now!:lol

Funny story about MIM from the pre-internet days of the early 1990's. MIM advertised lots of foreign kits from England and Japan in the great sci-fi mags of those days. I decided to take a chance on an advertised $150 TV version Seaview kit. I asked if it was an Oz Shop garage kit and she said that it was one that they made. I gave her my CC # and eight weeks later received a funny looking box that had been sitckered over with a MIM shipping label. Opening the box I found a Movie version Paul Lubliner kit that was too knowledge, was worth alot more than the kit I ordered. I kept the kit and later called Mr. Lubliner on a question about the kit and his studio scale models. Paul told me that the kit I received from MIM was from the owners (Terry ??) personal collection and that he was pretty upset with the stock guy who shipped it out by mistake.

Last edited:
Well the only thing I bought from them is the War Machine in my avatar several years ago. Now I'm debating on removing it and putting up a new avatar. Matt that sucks!

Probably also worth mentioning the utterley crappy customer services, horrible wait times and rude staff at this point.

I was looking at the Wall-e Statue they have. But after finding out the buggers are recasters I think I keep my money and look elsewhere for the statue.

MIM's
01adw07b.jpg

Mine
S1new001.jpg

I think it's pretty plain to see. Yeah they changed a few things to make it fit in an airsoft, but theres no mistaking my work, no other BSG S1 sculpt looks like or goes together like mine.

And their claim of it being the only one in the world is BS too, I've been putting airsofts in them (per request) as long as I have been making them.

M

I bought one of Matsuos replicas and I am confidant that the MIM is a recast.

About a year ago I wanted to buy something from MIM. I called them to be sure the item was in stock since it was a $500 item and nobody ever answered the phone during business hours. Not the sort of thing that inspired my confidance as a buyer.

MIM doesn't actually produce anything. They have a list of folks who "supply" stuff to them.

If you think their shipping and customer service sucks, try it from the supply side...what a bunch of asshats ;)

They do not 'vet' any of their "products;" they accept anything from anyone that will turn a profit. Your complaints mean nothing to them; they are in the game for cold hard cash, not fanboy's outrage at being ripped off (yet again).

Which sucks.

Alex

Funny story about MIM from the pre-internet days of the early 1990's. MIM advertised lots of foreign kits from England and Japan in the great sci-fi mags of those days. I decided to take a chance on an advertised $150 TV version Seaview kit. I asked if it was an Oz Shop garage kit and she said that it was one that they made. I gave her my CC # and eight weeks later received a funny looking box that had been sitckered over with a MIM shipping label. Opening the box I found a Movie version Paul Lubliner kit that was too knowledge, was worth alot more than the kit I ordered. I kept the kit and later called Mr. Lubliner on a question about the kit and his studio scale models. Paul told me that the kit I received from MIM was from the owners (Terry ??) personal collection and that he was pretty upset with the stock guy who shipped it out by mistake.

hahahahaha, this is one of the best posts i've ever read, recaster gets what they deserve

I work At airsoftgi the guys who make the Cleric gun and time cop gun kits come into the shop and sell them to the owner (For resale at a big markup). I spoke to him the last time he was in and he told me he sells to MIM

Actually...thats not true.

They have always had a molding and casting shop.

...they are also notorious recasters.

MIM doesn't actually produce anything. They have a list of folks who "supply" stuff to them.

If you think their shipping and customer service sucks, try it from the supply side...what a bunch of asshats ;)

They do not 'vet' any of their "products;" they accept anything from anyone that will turn a profit. Your complaints mean nothing to them; they are in the game for cold hard cash, not fanboy's outrage at being ripped off (yet again).

Which sucks.

Alex

well your original is a masterpiece, just like the cleric was

its the tale as old as time, they use the cheapest materials to
mold things and could care less about the finish quality of a pull

is there anything on it that shows it to be yours like a logo or name etching so you can sick the authorities on them??

this kinda thing reminds me of the grapler recasting of Bronze Armory and JMTWO. He went thru all that trouble to make an amazing piece, was offering perfect castings of it, even had his bluemoon logo etched into the safety button, and Bronze Armory to this day still offers this and claims its cast from the real deal.

I bumped into some skinny bald ******* at comicon this year that claimed he was was from BA and was trying to claim to Prop Store of London guys that he was a master sculptor and that he had sculpted all their bat stuffs.
When I countered him on the gun and bat stuffs, and that alot of people were ripped off by BA he kinda smiled and laughed it off. Had I not been there busy with the prop store guys I would have liked to showed this guy what the tread on the bottom of my shoe would look like on his throat~~

Recastors just suck on every level possible and they never even try to come up with a reason to why they did it. At best they claim that they got it from someone who worked on the set and said it was real. Never actually checking on it, or just looking the other way knowing its recast.

All about money. And they want it and who cares about you.

I'm so sorry to here that a second of your fine works has fallen into the wrong hands.

Just hope karma catches up to these ******* in the end.

Did you contact MIM and let them know they are selling your work without your permission? Or did they tell you that it doesnt look like your original so it must not be yours?

What a shame they stole your work Matsuo. They have no dignity at all.

I will steer clear from buying anything at all from them.

Do they sell on eBay too? If so what's their user name?

MIM "announced" that they would be "re-releasing" some "out of production" spaceship kits from Wilco Models.

Which was news to Bill, who still runs WilcoModels...

So just to add insult to injury, MIM recasts their own suppliers ;)

Alex

This is a real eye opener. Surprised they are still in business. Guess it's a supply and demand thing.....Off to cancel my MIM newsletter subscription.....brutal.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back