New RPF Sites Issues - CLOSED (please search for or start a thread for new issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New RPF - Problems

Sorry for this guys - I know there is a thread in the Site Support channel, but I need immediate visibility and help.

So...

WHAT THE **** IS UP with this new version of the board that the photo uploader/browser ROUTINELY crashes AOL?

Others having this problem? It is ENFURIATING me...

Love Art. Love Inlee. Love what they do for us...

HATE this new version of the RPF...

Re: The New RPF - Problems

Hey man

I am having no problems at all with it. Computer ipad or iPhone

Alex

I have problems uploading pics most of the time. It makes me do it twice before it takes.

Sorry for this guys - I know there is a thread in the Site Support channel, but I need immediate visibility and help.

So...

WHAT THE **** IS UP with this new version of the board that the photo uploader/browser ROUTINELY crashes AOL?

Others having this problem? It is ENFURIATING me...

Love Art. Love Inlee. Love what they do for us...

HATE this new version of the RPF...

PC...

I may have solved it -sort of. But the solution tends towards defying logic, and remains a work-around (the problem still exists).

Last edited:

I've been going straight to Basic Uploader, then Browse, after which the RPF almost instantly crashes AOL

View attachment 208611

View attachment 208612

- - - Updated - - -

God this is maddening!

WHY do these attachments sometimes show as a line of text "Attachment 208611" and not an image!? Immediatly upon completing this post, they fist showed as inserted thumbnal images! I close the thread and reopen it and now they show as a text line/link.

NONE of the image uploading here seems to make any sense at all. Or maybe I'm just and old fart dimwit who can't keep up with changes. Either way I'm PISSED OFF about this.

Last edited:

Anyway, back on track. It seems that instead of going to the Basic Uploader immediately, that if I go to Select Files, and select a file, I can ulitimately get the file/image posted to the thread.

But...

Even so, if I hit Select Files, then I must go through the process of selecting the file I want from my folders. Fine. BUT, the stupid ass thing then makes you go to the Basic Uploader ANYWAY, and go through the selection process AGAIN (maybe what Rylo was talking about).

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention other minor irritants that simply do not make any sense to anyone with half a clue of what a sensible application can or should do.

Specifically the fact that once you finally get to the point where you can process the actual upload - clicking on Upload File(s) - there is ZERO indication that the system is processing anything. No status bar, no nothing...

It's the Universe's say of saying "Why the **** are you still using AOL." :p

THAT was inevitable! ;)

Now that I finally managed to fight through and get an image posted, it seems I can do either method with success.

By the way, this is not new to me - its been going on for a couple weeks now. I'm surprised more folks haven't been talking about it. Maybe they have; I didn't visit the RPF much after the new version launched.

Anyway, next time I'm on-line (and with a cooler head) I'll ry more methodical trouble-shooting.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Test:

013.jpg

And success...

So, I shut down AOL entirely, and re-opened, trying to "re-set" and recreate the problem. I posted this image by going straight to the Basic Uploader (the exct same method that crashed AOL four times straight).

It worked just fine. Which suggests to my simple mind that the problem is entirely random. :rolleyes

I'll now need to simply keep using that route (going straight to Basic Uploader) until I can recreate the problem (it crashes AOL), THEN try Select Files to see if that works. Or if I just got lucky tonight when Select Files worked.

...By the way, this is not new to me - its been going on for a couple weeks now. I'm surprised more folks haven't been talking about it. Maybe they have; I didn't visit the RPF much after the new version launched...
I don't use AOL, but I had similar problems during the rare instances in which I attempted to post an image since the changeover; the images would only post as the "Attachment" links you exhibited in post #885 or as a thumbnail, and would not insert into the post the way they did with the old software. I had the same problem on The Fedora Lounge recently--I hadn't been there in months, and now they apparently use the same software the RPF is using. I got it sorted out after a lot of trial-and-error, but it was a real pain-in-the-youknowwhat and far from being as user friendly as it was before.

Last edited:

Was about to start a new thread for a problem I'm having, but found this thread. Guess we could post any issues here if that's okay PHArchivist?

problem #1 (solved) : I was having problems with my URL pics. If there are any CAPS in the file name I get "invalid file". So now I have to rename all my pictures with lower case.

problem #2 (happening now) : I had stopped receiving my PM notifications via email a few days ago. I thought perhaps I had accidentally changed my email settings. Nope. Over the last few days I've received all those missed email notifications (even though I already replied to the PM's), and it's a BUNCH!!

Looks like other people are having the same problem. I sent out PM's for a project, and have been getting replies saying they just now received an email about the PM, but the PM is a few days old? Hmmm... no biggie, but it throws me off a bit. Have to double check my sent folder to make sure I already replied.

This is all being covered in the "Site Support & News" forum, so I will move/merge this and leave a redirected link so that it can still be seen in the OT forum.

Was about to start a new thread for a problem I'm having, but found this thread. Guess we could post any issues here if that's okay PHArchivist?

problem #1 (solved) : I was having problems with my URL pics. If there are any CAPS in the file name I get "invalid file". So now I have to rename all my pictures with lower case.

problem #2 (happening now) : I had stopped receiving my PM notifications via email a few days ago. I thought perhaps I had accidentally changed my email settings. Nope. Over the last few days I've received all those missed email notifications (even though I already replied to the PM's), and it's a BUNCH!!

Looks like other people are having the same problem. I sent out PM's for a project, and have been getting replies saying they just now received an email about the PM, but the PM is a few days old? Hmmm... no biggie, but it throws me off a bit. Have to double check my sent folder to make sure I already replied.
We had a few days were notifications were being queued up and not sent, they are going out now and we should be caught up.

Probably way late to the party on this but its official - I can't ****ing stand the new site with regards to uploading photos.

Less user friendly than before and crashes AOL regularly.

Sorry Art - love ya to death! But not so much the new site format.
PHArchivist

Really? Tell me what you mean? I find the new uploader to be VERY quick and user friendly; far superior to the previous one. Tell me how I can help you. Perhaps it is an issue of understanding how to use it.

Last edited:
Sorry If I missed the solution to this problem I'm having:

I'm subscribed to the Junkyard forum.
It used to email me once a day
But now I'm getting emailed multiple times a day from the forum.
I haven't changed any settings recently either.
Does anyone know how I can go back to getting 1 email a day from the Junkyard forum subscription?
Just to be clear I'm subscribed to the forum, not to a particular thread.
Thanks!

same "problems" as Vitus here on my side, only difference is, I am subsrcibed to different threads......nothing serious, but worth to tell :)

To change how you are notified for your subscribed threads, click on "Subscribed Threads" in the sub navbar menu at the top of the page.

There you will find a list of all your subscribed threads and beneath each one you are told how often you are notified; instantly, daily, weekly, etc. To change this setting click the boxes next to the threads you want to change. Scroll to the bottom and click on the drop down "Selected Threads" and choose the appropriate notification link.

To change how you are notified for your subscribed threads, click on "Subscribed Threads" in the sub navbar menu at the top of the page.

There you will find a list of all your subscribed threads and beneath each one you are told how often you are notified; instantly, daily, weekly, etc. To change this setting click the boxes next to the threads you want to change. Scroll to the bottom and click on the drop down "Selected Threads" and choose the appropriate notification link.

Thanks but this does not seem to be the solution for my issue but will probably help Stefan.
I am subscribed to the Junkyard Forum, not a thread.
The Junkyard forum subscription does not show up under subscribed threads.

@PHArchivist

Really? Tell me what you mean? I find the new uploader to be VERY quick and user friendly; far superior to the previous one. Tell me how I can help you. Perhaps it is an issue of understanding how to use it.

Well...

After my tantrum (for which I apologize), I laid out a more methodical trouble-shooting aproach so hopefully I can better isolate the issue and speak more intelligently about what is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back