New RPF Sites Issues - CLOSED (please search for or start a thread for new issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks but this does not seem to be the solution for my issue but will probably help Stefan.
I am subscribed to the Junkyard Forum, not a thread.
The Junkyard forum subscription does not show up under subscribed threads.

Sorry about that. To change your subscription to a forum, go into that forum, click Forum Tools (to the top left of the first thread) and then click "Unsubscribe from Forum." This will remove your current subscription. Once that is complete, go through the same process and click "Subscribe to this Forum" and you will be given choices of how you want to be notified.

Ok...

Trying to trouble-shoot with a cooler head.

1.) The screen shots I posted in Post# 885 currently show in the post (on my i.e. browser) as a hyperlink reading "Attachment 208611" BUT clicking on the link gives the message "Invalid attachment".

WHY...?

Regrettably, I cannot tell you all how I managed to post those attachments, since I was doing so through angry frustration.

2.) The above comment is really sort of an "aside", though, at the moment. More important, and more at the crux of the issue, when coming on to the RPF tonight, I attempted to add an image to the post, using the Insert Image icon in the tool bar above. From the dialogue box for the uploader, I chose "Basic Uploader", as I had last night (not "Select Files"). Again, it immediately crashed AOL. No error messages - nothing. AOL just quietly and quickly shuts down cold.

I am about to try again using "Select Files".

Stand by...

- - - Updated - - -

Test

View attachment 209109

OK - so the Fett image was successfully uploaded by going to Select Files first, then to Basic Uploader.

So maybe that's my problem. Perhaps I was just not following the proper sequence.

So fine - I think I have learned how to work around the crashing problem...

BUT...

If all this is true, well, and good, then let's talk about the design of the system, and ease of navigation, where I have three notable concerns, complaints, observations, whatever we want to call it:

1.) If going to Select Files is the proper step/order, then why must you select a specific file following the Select Files process, then do it all over again once you've hit Basic Uploader? Makes no sense to me.

2.) Using Select Files, I do not see any method to select more than one at a time. Very UN-user-friendly if you have mulitple images to upload and must do them one at a time. If there is a way to do mulitples, please tell me how.

3.) Once clicking the final button in the process - "Upload File(s)" - there is no status bar or any other indication the system is processing your request. Shouldn't there be?

- - - Updated - - -

Test 2

View attachment 209110

Re: The New RPF - Problems

...problem #1 (solved) : I was having problems with my URL pics. If there are any CAPS in the file name I get "invalid file". So now I have to rename all my pictures with lower case...
I believe Romans Empire may have hit upon part of the problem--the new software apparently does not recognize capitalized letters in a file name or URL. I tend to use capital letters when naming an image file as well, so I'll have to try to remember to edit the file name the next time I try to insert an image in a post and see if that solves the problem.

I see a little problem when someone quotes a post I made where I linked to an image using HTML tags... the quote does not use the original HTML tags and therefore the image doesn't show up in their quote but instead it is a text link to download the image???

Check out their quote and then you can click on the arrows next to my username in the quote to see the original.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/darkside5...age-pg-124-a-139470/index130.html#post2978460

1.) If going to Select Files is the proper step/order, then why must you select a specific file following the Select Files process, then do it all over again once you've hit Basic Uploader? Makes no sense to me.

2.) Using Select Files, I do not see any method to select more than one at a time. Very UN-user-friendly if you have mulitple images to upload and must do them one at a time. If there is a way to do mulitples, please tell me how.

3.) Once clicking the final button in the process - "Upload File(s)" - there is no status bar or any other indication the system is processing your request. Shouldn't there be?

Weird... So my trouble-shooting continues. I'm now on my PC at work.

Using this interface/i.e. browser (IE 7 or IE 8), using Select Files allows me to CTRL-Click to select more than one image at a time (my AOL browser clearly will not allow this, using identical steps), AND offers the Upload File(s) option directly without needing to click on Basic Uploader (resolving #1 above). Plus there is a status bar.

So it seems all three of the above issues might be related to the browser.

Incidentally, I was NOT able to successfully upload from here (work) but I'm pretty sure that is due to roadblocks put in place by the IS Services here.

I am happy/satisfied that I am learning about and resolving some of these issues, but my opinion of the site and the image uploader in particular remains tentative.

Though the issue may be how image uploader gets along or "plays with" the specific browser in use, the previous RPF method did not seem to have such idiosynchrsies, and I question the integrity of a system that is seemingly so sensitive to which browser is being used. I know this is nothing new in the computing world; I understand that many web sites experience varying degress of success (and failure) contingent upon what browser is used. Its just aggravating that the new RPF is apparently one of them, particularly when it comes to such a critical operation as uploading images of the art we wish to share. I'm quite surprised this hasn't come up earlier (or maybe it has).

Good news - I deleted temp files and did some additional hard drive/PC clean-up (the Clean Up feature offered by Webroot Security/SpySweeper) earlier tonight.

Just now I uploaded three images using Select Files, and it allowed my to select all three at once and offered the staus bar.

Not sure if the clean up helped or not, but glad to see its working better.

Sorry about that. To change your subscription to a forum, go into that forum, click Forum Tools (to the top left of the first thread) and then click "Unsubscribe from Forum." This will remove your current subscription. Once that is complete, go through the same process and click "Subscribe to this Forum" and you will be given choices of how you want to be notified.

Thanks for the tip. Seems to be back to normal today and only notified me once but I will try that if it happens again.

I haven't read through the bugs thread to see if this had been reported, and it may be a google chrome issue because it worked perfectly fine in Firefox; In chrome I am all of a sudden unable to copy and paste into a thread or PM. This makes posting images from long winded URL's like Flickr a huge PITA.

-Ss

I haven't read through the bugs thread to see if this had been reported, and it may be a google chrome issue because it worked perfectly fine in Firefox; In chrome I am all of a sudden unable to copy and paste into a thread or PM. This makes posting images from long winded URL's like Flickr a huge PITA.

-Ss
Just tested it with Google Chrome Version "26.0.1410.64 m", and it works (I did a copy and paste with the Chrome version number).

EDIT: I just updated Chrome to the newest version "28.0.1500.72 m", and that works as well.

I updated my e-mail address due to a previously unusable address. I then tried to e-mail rpf-support@moviepropsites to remove the warning banner as instructed and my e-mail client is telling me that it's invalid. Just wondering if there's a different address I should try.

I updated my e-mail address due to a previously unusable address. I then tried to e-mail rpf-support@moviepropsites to remove the warning banner as instructed and my e-mail client is telling me that it's invalid. Just wondering if there's a different address I should try.
help@therpf.com is the the email address that you should be sending to (noticed that you don't have .com at the end of the email address that you posted).

Any ideas what this is about?
222777-screen-shot-2013-08-21-5-12-31-pm.png
222775-a.png

For the last week I've been getting notifications that somebody has replied to a subscribed thread, with a copy of the
text they posted... but when I go to the thread there's nothing there.

Then, 1-3 days later, their reply suddenly shows up, in the order it was supposed to be in the thread.

Very odd. I've noticed that one "slow" poster is from Scotland, while most of the "fast replies" that appear
seem to be in the USA.

Using Firefox for a browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back