RED ALERT Lost 3 ft TOS Enterprise found????

As can be seen in the famous photos of Jeffrey Hunter and Roddenberry examining the model on-set, the three-footer was built during production of the pilot episode. It was filmed for all of the pilot’s visual effects shots of the ship, EXCEPT for the zoom-in to the Bridge that kicks the story off, which used the 11-footer.

And, of course, several of those three-footer flybys from the pilot were reused in the opening credits of TOS proper—the shots where the ship whizzes by in-between each credit.
You just know all this off the top of your head? You're better than Memory Alpha, with a much easier interface. Thank you Atoz.

Gene Roddenberry's views on the loss of the model are well known. He was the original owner and only he could have gifted it to someone. That such a valuable piece was essentially lost and abandoned for 40 years and not prominently displayed somewhere suggests that the possessor knew what they had and didn't want it known they had it.

In addition, property doesn't have to be actually stolen for it to be a crime. Being in possession, attempting to sell or purchase, or even abetting these actions for property you have reasonable belief may be stolen is also criminal.

The Roddenberry family is unlikely to just throw up their hands and let this one go for a one-of-a-kind essentially priceless artifact.
Regardless of all of our speculation, I have no doubt that this will end up in court.

Of course. Been studying this stuff for years.
Ok sweet well while i've got you can i ask you some nagging questions i have about the 7-foot refit studio model? (probably your first bullet point being it's actually 8-foot, i just realized)

*edit-- er, then again maybe not, in the same breath it also says 152cm, which is 5 feet--

Last edited:
A few interesting details I noticed:
• The green color of the production version is a green clear coat. It was applied over the decals. You can see the pilot hull color where the decals came off.
• Someone put hologram stickers in the impulse vents and over one of the lower saucer hatches.
• There is a note on the bottom that says "12 to 16v AC or DC". There shouldn't be any electronics in this. It's solid wood.

Attachments

• 3footEnterprise05.jpeg
    3footEnterprise05.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 3footEnterprise04.jpeg
    3footEnterprise04.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 3footEnterprise12.jpeg
    3footEnterprise12.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 3footEnterprise16.jpeg
    3footEnterprise16.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 286
Personally after all is said and done, I would like to see the model either with the 11’ filming miniature OR on display at the Star Trek Original Series Set Tour in Ticonderoga.

Yeah, the 11 didn't start getting regular work until the SECOND pilot. And there is STILL a new shot of the 3 in that.

Exactly. Footage of both models were used throughout the show, but the 11-footer was seen the vast majority of the time. Aside from the two pilots and the opening credits, the three-footer’s most notable appearances were in “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”, “Requiem For Methuselah”, and all of those publicity photos.

But it was technically still the very first visual effects model built for the franchise. And therefore an item of major historical importance.

Last edited:
Stolen goods/property doesn't work like that. The victim is the rightful owner of stolen property. If the current possessor tries to sell it now, knowing its value and history, they and anyone attempting to purchase it could be charged with possession of stolen goods. Given a potential value in the $millions, the penalties in California alone would be severe. Selling it to someone out of state could incur Federal charges and penalties for interstate trafficking in stolen goods.

They'd do well to just give it back to the rightful owners. Ideally, they'd be reimbursed/rewarded for their troubles and expenses.

I know people get back stolen items from them based on the serial number. But they had to report it stolen first.
For this, the entire model IS a serial number. Absolutely uniquely identifiable. I only wonder if reporting it stolen to law enforcement is the failing step. Though the estate could report it stolen now I suppose based on Roddenberry's letter establishing that? Dunno. Legal Beagles where are you???? Assuming it does go home.. Roddenberry estate certainly should give the finder a substantial reward especially if they plan to auction it. Which I do think they will. I honestly don't think the son would keep it.

Does anyone know if the 3 footer was measured and used to scale up the 11 footer? Or did they work from blueprints alone for the 11 footer? I thought I read once they used it, but I could be trippin'.

It is an amazing lost treasure, now found. Wow.

As for the post directly above, I think that would be the worst case scenario. The 11 footer was refinished going back to at least 1974 (with replacements for some missing pieces crudely fabricated back then), so restoring it a few years back (with the exception of the saucer top) made sense as nothing original would be impacted. This model is amazingly intact, and cleaning it would be the most that should be done to it.

I think we might be surprised how good it looks with just a cleaning. But I think they should fix any sagging structural issues, and glue down any loose decals. I wouldn't say no to replacing the missing chunks of the name and registry either.

I think we might be surprised how good it looks with just a cleaning. But I think they should fix any sagging structural issues, and glue down any loose decals. I wouldn't say no to replacing the missing chunks of the name and registry either.

Light cleaning, maybe some acrylic rods to support things right and make sure it's environment is humidity controlled. I don't think it needs to be restored at all. Freeze it in time as is.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back