robo3687's Iron Man Pep Files - SD War Machine links page 73

Re: robo3687's Pep Files - first post updated - please read

Hey I'm almost ready to glass and fiber but i was just curious as to why 3/4 oz fiberglass vs a thicker cloth. Is it better to do a thicker fiber at one go so it'll be rockhard???

Also, roughly how much fiberglass and resin would i need to complete a whole suit. I know someone who can get a good price and I don't want to bother him more than once.

thanks

Well here the best advice that I can give you. Find a good fiberglass supply store and get a lighter weight fiberglass cloth (3/4 oz. chopped strand) or use surface veil or fiberglass tissue. Also buy some 30% MEK-P, this will help a lot because of giving you a longer pot life- 4cc w/ 8 oz. of resin will give you a 15 min pot life.

Also, go to a store and ask for some cardboard. A lot of strip malls will have a recycling bin for corrugated boxes in the back so if you can grab some of those it will be useful. Then with one of the cardboard, make a cube with the depthxwidth dimension of your helmet. Place your helmet upside down in it.

Then with your fglass strips, make sure you tear it, dont use scissors to make the strips. When you lay down the strips, you will have to overlap the frayed edges. Trust me, this will help A LOT.

then use one of these options-
Go to a dollar store and buy some of those aluminum trays. They usually have an 8x 11 size for 3 for a dollar. Make enough resin to fill the tray. Then dip your fglass strips in it, then place accordingly in the helmet.

With the brush, do not use a stroking motion if you're having problems with the strips moving. Dip your brush in the resin then "dab" it instead to wet out your cloth.

Last edited:
Re: robo3687's Pep Files - Republic Commando progress on page 52

first page, please ;)

When do you think the commando helmet will be avaiable??

Thanks man!

i've had to make a few geometry changes to make it a slightly easier build...so once i reunfold it I'll put it up....

I'm gonna try and get the helmet and torso out at the same time...

I just started the mrk 6 chest after doing the brace, that hole at the base of the spine, it that part of where the back of the neck goes into? if so, you crazy SOB, you're freaking awesome.

Also, I hated those spine parts XP

Re: robo3687's Pep Files - first post updated - please read

Hey I'm almost ready to glass and fiber but i was just curious as to why 3/4 oz fiberglass vs a thicker cloth. Is it better to do a thicker fiber at one go so it'll be rockhard???

Also, roughly how much fiberglass and resin would i need to complete a whole suit. I know someone who can get a good price and I don't want to bother him more than once.

thanks

I think the main point that was trying to be made about the cloth was weight. You don't want something to heavy. You could go with something thicker, but if you do end up putting more layers then 1 on, its going to be a lot heavier.

As for how much resin you will need, that would all depend on how much you waste. As an idea, I think I have gone through almost 2L of the bondo stuff and I have managed to get the helmet, back and chest completed fiberglassed (2 layers) and covered the biceps and forearms with the outside coat of resin. My first batch I mixed I wasted quite a bit though :(

Hey just an update!
2260-img-0159.jpg

does anybody have any files for the part between the thigh and cod piece?thanks

hey skynet, dont forget the extra foot flaps! the upper thigh piece must be either made yourself, or taken from a mk3 pep.

Hey just an update!

So who´s in the lead? :lol

Seriously, I recommend turning the TV off and pointing the camera at the object of desire to at least get a little bit of a quality pic. The form hints at a super cool pep and quality work, but a yellow mess is all that I can make out :unsure

Based on the last pictures he posted, skynets work so far looks pretty awesome to me.

It also looks like he is moving along fairly fast.

All resin and fibreglass is done... sanding down rough spots tonight... bondo stage starts tomorrow.

All resin and fibreglass is done... sanding down rough spots tonight... bondo stage starts tomorrow.

might i request a full test fit of the costume? itd be the first time a completely resined/fiberglassed suit has been seen in the wild

@mmkw
I'm at the resin stage, and I used 1 liter and one 8 sq ft mat on the chest and back only, aplying two layers. Hope this give you an idea about how much material do you need. :p

hey robo, did you ever say if you could make a size 13 boot mod to your boot pep?

@ manfromnaboo aww sorry about the pic,was just trying to show how tall it is and was nearly 3.30 am so the lighting sucked :(
@ bimmer resin with fiberglass tissue!

2367-dsci5335.jpg

2366-dsci5332.jpg

My Progress as of lately. I found the pieces to be a nice snug fit, (cod piece too snug, working on that). I have started fiberglassing the parts, and that will take me a bit of time, but I am loving this as this is the first time I've done this. Side shot picture the chest is sticking out about 3ish inches further then it should, that is because the brace and chest were not fitting, but it was a rough fit just to make sure i was not wasting time and money due to a miss-fit.

I have all the other pieces, the only parts that are not preped and resined is the hands. I have all the other nic nacks for the suit, I just dont have the structure to wear them, and so they are not in the shot, I will show them later when i have the items ready.

Last edited:

Photos aren't showing up. :(

2367-dsci5335

2366-dsci5332

My Progress as of lately. I found the pieces to be a nice snug fit, (cod piece too snug, working on that). I have started fiberglassing the parts, and that will take me a bit of time, but I am loving this as this is the first time I've done this. Side shot picture the chest is sticking out about 3ish inches further then it should, that is because the brace and chest were not fitting, but it was a rough fit just to make sure i was not wasting time and money due to a miss-fit.

@mmkw
I'm at the resin stage, and I used 1 liter and one 8 sq ft mat on the chest and back only, aplying two layers. Hope this give you an idea about how much material do you need. :p

Would you recommend using 2 layers of matting?

Thanks for the response tonyalarkon and starspeed18
I'm estimating my materials but just want to know what weight you guys used, waxed/unwaxed resin and how much bondo used to smooth out the parts. Any rough estimates on anything done would help.

ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE THE LINK OF FILES FOR THE " HIP JOINT COVERS " FROM THE MK 3 SUITS?
i'm talking about the piece between the cod and the thigh.

@mmkw

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back