Sidkit Mal Gun Build Thread

Joatrash --

How did you get wood grips to fit? My philppes grips have a huge gap at top and sanding them won't close it up, I don't think.

Interesting finish, Boba. Would love to hear how you did that.

This is what he said in his "explanation" thread...I'm quite curious myself, especially to see what it would look like on a polished part:

As for that picture, I bet a lot of people would like to know about that finish, it's done with 2 different very affordable and readily available products and it seems to be very resistant to wear.

I achieved that finish in less then 10 minutes and I didn't even sand the part.

I'm not a stickler for accuracy and I'm perfectly happy with the random look I got but I'm sure someone with more talent then me could fine tune my process to recreate the look of the prop exactly.

Maybe I'll be in a better mood tomorrow and post some more info about that picture.

Last edited:
Well now, see here friend. I moseyed on over to my little workshop room, picked up mah trusty ol' Dremel and speed-sanded those pesky things down to a proper size. :)

Joatrash --

How did you get wood grips to fit? My philppes grips have a huge gap at top and sanding them won't close it up, I don't think.

Hey, I found something on the Blue Wonder website that might be relevant...

To Obtain a Patina or Antique Finish:

Follow instructions for applying Blue Wonder™ Gun Blue – using steps 1-6 only – and DO NOT APPLY the Blue Wonder™ Developer. Let the piece stand overnight and a thin film of fine rust will form on the surface. Apply a light lubricating oil or gun oil to the rusted surface and rub it into the metal using “0000” steel wool. Allow to dry and then finish with light coat of good quality gun oil to prevent further rusting. (This finish will not be as durable since the developer was not used).

Would this work on Sidkit's metal? It seems like the steel wool step might just strip off the finish because the metal is so soft.

This is how it looks after the application of PS-11 Oxidizer

Sidkit5a.jpg

Sidkit5b.jpg

NO SEAMS
Sidkit0D.jpg

BTW: I re-did the side panels and it was very difficult to remove the finish with a Dremel using a brash brush so I imagine this will be a very durable finish

Last edited by a moderator:
For the "no seams" bit - did you just solder them together, then sand it smooth? Or is this a terribly complex maneuver?

Boba Debt, what's your feeling about the finish you've acquired? Is it durable? Do you feel like it's close to the color you're looking for?

I love the finish and I have abandoned my desire to try Blue Wonder but I'm not a stickler for 100% accurate weathering. When I think of Mal's Gun I just remember a dark revolver.

It is very durable and does not rub off easily, even on the edges.

This is after one application of Perma-Blue,I still need to apply the gun oil.

Sidkit5c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my Sidkit Mal Gun #31
Instead of using the blue wonder stuff, I tried my luck with Birchwood Plum Brown. I sanded the gun, polished it with a brass brush (just like Siderio recommends) and cleaned the parts in soapy water. After they were dry i applied the Plum Brown with a sponge. Done!

img2161jy7jr7.jpg

I know it looks more like copper than brass, but i like it that way :thumbsup

Very intriguing...I wonder, though, if it would be possible to get that coppery finish, then use gun oil to add the darker "weathered" parts.

Or maybe DrMcoy, you could try the plum brown on top of what you've already got, and it would combine the slight brassy tones of the Blue Wonder with the coppery tones of this one. Would that even work?

HOLY HELL that plum brown finish looks PERFECT!

CRAP now im rethinking having mine plated......... damm damm....
i might have to order another sidkit and do TWO of um lol...

btw guys i emailed Sid about doing a Serenity style magazine.
the "additional detail" on the side of the serenity gun is just a little rectangular plate so that could easily be added....

F-N-S, nice finish.

Anyone know if the B-C Perma-Blue can be used over the B-C plum brown? If it can I'ed almost say cotton swap the Perma-Blue in the recess areas to make the wear look more correct. That or Perma-Blue... hit the highlights wear areas with steel wool & then use the plum brown with a cotton swab.
Looks like I'll be hitting the gun shop tomorrow to pick up some supplies.

I used plum brown on a Obiwan steel grenade a few years back.... initially i got that copperish light brown, but i just massaged it with oil several times and it darkened up to a deep chocolate brown. so i think the same could be done here.... make sure to use an oil and not something thats a cutting agent like WD40.... i used mineral oil on my obi grenade which is what i used to use to oil my swords....... its a heavier oil and sorta "soaks in" better..... it might work well here....... just a thought......

I bought a bottle of the Plum Brown and applied it on top of the Blue Wonder finish I already had on pistol -- it's looking pretty good. I also bought some powdered antique bronze and copper metal flake from art store and rubbed some of that on pistol for highlights -- it's sublte, and not sure how long it will last on pistol before being rubbed off, but it adds a nice toush. I also bought some Rub-N-Buff Autumn Gold and used it sparingly to highlight some areas of pistol -- it also adds a nice touch.

One thing I couldn't do is get the bright copper finish on mine with the Plum BRown -- I used dremel brass brush to gently take finish off a small part of my pistol (the safety release knob) and hit it with the Plum Brown -- but it did nopt turn out bright copper but darker. Maybe if I used less solution it would be brighter....I may try this.

I'll post more pics once I get finish I like best.

FNS: That looks fantastic.

Does the Plum Brown wear good, I know the Perma-Blue doesn't, it rubs right off the edges on this kit.

Has anyone posted a good picture of the real prop yet?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back