Stop Motion Studio ESB AT-ST!

312t parts added, and the rear deck adjusted closer to the prop, its still not spot on, but as close as i could manage, im very happy how all this tied together, another nod to how well Allan did these drawings, from like two drafts...impressive stuff!
Hoping to finish this up this week now, i want it done lol.

lee

Last edited:
Lee, this is one stunning build mate, between this & your pod you must be made up? I can see us learning how to do stop motion movie's next:love

That's a beauty Lee. Agree with all in that you really have nailed it (as far as I can see without your reference photos! LOLOLOL). Top notch paint and weathering, looks like photos of a real SW prop! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Well, for now, its done! Two parts have been omitted for now,these are the axle part on the chassis rear deck, and the plate on the inner right thigh...we havent found them, and i didnt want to scratch them, but there easily added, if we ever bag them LOL.

I will endeavor to get some posed pics soon, but i have an idea before i do lol...was thinking of tapping out the rear lower chassis block, for a faux stop motion mount, into this i was thinking of fitting a micro Panavise, and attaching to a post (kinda like the Tauntan mount but from the rear) for total flexibility....hell i could leave the legs floppy then and just play till my hearts content?

Paint work was so tricky to get right (most ref is in greyscale), and man i tip my hat to Rolando on his paint up, maybe elaboration IS way more fun...., but i will say, a good graphite pencil for weathering really works wonders over grey paint!

lee

Last edited:
Andre, thanks man, means a lot, in fact thanks to all you guys that have posted, showed interest, and shared the trip, its been a fun one, and looks the real deal in the living room...so im a happy bunny, until those missing parts we cant find start affecting my will to live that is LOL.

Merry Christmas fellas........lee

BEAUTIFUL!!!

It would make sense in the real world using the taller leg versions to walk in deep snow or high obstacles at slower rate, and the ROTJ shorter legs at higher speeds on flat surfaces

GFollano

All it needs now is a santa hat! Truly a work of art mate. Have a great xmas mate & I'll be in touch regarding popping over one afternoon soon.

Happy xmas to everyone else as well.

Guy

Guy i thought the very same, he needs a festive outfit :lol Thanks buddy, im glad you like!
You all have a great Christmas mate, shame there isnt a Taun under the tree for you yet, but its getting ever closer!

Oh and yes, we will work on something in the new year buddy, be just killer to see you again!

bests.....lee

Hey Lee! Baking Soda and salt mixed in, makes pretty good temporary miniature snow when you want to shot something on the quick.....hint hint, nodge nodge, wink wink! Know what I mean! :lol Your killing us! You know we all want to see that happen!!!!
Have a great xmas!

kc

Kc, cheers buddy, but i chickened out on the snow, i do have the gear to do it well, but due to wanting to keep her as accurate as i can, this would really ruin things lol.
Im sure my next planned scatchbuild, will have plenty of snow to play with :love
Had a great one bud, hope you guys did too!

bests.....lee

I've got to say chaps, I had the pleasure of seeing this work of art first hand tonight.... Truly stunning Lee. I cant say in words how crisp & clean & solid it looked, I now understand why someone would do this, it puts "all" GK's to shame in every way.

Lee you are a star mate, & your skills are immense top top top work bud, not to mention the Pod of coarse, & I cant wait to see the Canon come together.

The pics just don't do it justice bud.

Guy, thanks buddy, means a lot for folk to see my work...and even be impressed by it :lol
I will get it "fully" finished one day once those parts are found :eek

Was a pleasure to ply you with caffeine buddy..so anytime

lee

lee,
could you tel us about the armature feet you used?
they don't seem to be a part of the original plans, and you added them on afterwards. can you tell us what they are made of, how they are attached, and (approx/exact) dimensions?

many many thanks

Its additional buddy yes, we did all kinda miss that area when the armature was drafted, and without, well unless shes permanently bolted down, no free stand, but, its never been done before, and Allan did an amazing job overall :thumbsup.
I used some alloy flat bar, ill have to check the size, and drilled and tapped it, to screw up to the ankle block, this makes it freestand very well in the tall pose, and gives an excellent base to mount the TIE feet upon.
Ill try get to the dims a bit later for you im just fiddling around with a selection of Micro Panavise to make a mock stop motion mount for this build....i can then hopefully take some pretty catwalk stylee pictures :lol

lee

the panavise should be nice, but would assume you'd only use that in a secure (at rest position) to help in shipping or day-to-day posing. i would assume the armature itself is quite sturdy for photography or displaying.

would also assume the the armature is even strong enough to support itself during some nice photo poses...even in-motion dynamic ones, no?

on second thought....i bet the panavise jig would help alot in holding up the whole body as you adjust the legs for whatever pose, considering the legs have SEVERAL different joints.

please do share you work on the p'vise jig also ...its construction, and connection to the model/armature itself.

i suppose the only concern i'd have would be the m5a1 "toe-nails" in those dynamic poses...if the foot it pointed "down" in a walking like pose....or perhaps the fictional walking gait would be to keep the foot flat...which makes lots more sense.....i'm rambling.

the flat-stock foot....i'm assuming you coutersunk the screw?
did you cut and tap the hole yourself? do you have that kinda shop?
i'm seriously considering trying to round up some bids here to see if i could get the armature put together. care to remind me what you guys were able to get it at $$$ ?

thanks again.

The armature, if bolted down (mine is for display) on one foot, will fully manipulate, its very robust, but not bulletproof i guess!
Ive had mine stand on one leg for a fews days, and yup, rock steady TBH, but id not leave that way for major long periods, just to be safe!

The Panavise rig, is being done, so i can just leave the legs nipped up, rather than locked down, and then position, and shoot on a bluescreen, almost walking in thin air?
This will make for a safer option of display, and just something to do when im bored i guess lol.

The M5A1 toes, there articulated anyhow, so i can pose mine, with a "toe" to the ground very nicely!

Flat stock, yup drilled and tapped myself, and countersunk the underside for a flush fit!

As for an armature, there all gone sadly, and i dont think there will be anymore, but TBH, im sure there may be a member who may part with one as i dont see any being built right now, not really sure what happened to the other guys in the armature run?

lee

on more reviewing.

i see a detail i can't place.
at the joints (in the legs), there seems to be a little bitty clip...almost like a cotter pin or something on the outside of the pins (of the joints). could you explain what those are for, and what they are?

also.
your flat plate foot detail
seeing the bottom edge of the vader foot "hover", i'm wondering if that bothers you or would you rather have shaved a bit off the armature ankle piece in order for the flat bar to take up that space so the vader foot could touch the ground? or perhaps, in hindsight, perhaps cut the vader cockpit a bit bigger?

in addition, for stability purposes, wouldn't it be viable to tap a whole into the center of the foot flat plate and have a tie-down screwn system there? depending on the base you want to use?

all just ideas?

other questions...
i'm assuming the back "tendons" actually serve a purpose in keeping the lowest leg segment vertical-like, since i see there is no joint tightening segment there? was that a pain...to adjust those flat bar strips to keep the right tension/compression?

this may have been introduced too..
but how does the armature actually connect to the plastic formed head?

sorry for all the questions....just really interested in the topic, and additionally the mechanics of the armature

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back