The Phantom Menace Re-Release May 2024

This cultural horror of "spoilers" is a relatively recent development. (Probably spurred on by the Internet.) Back then, nobody that I knew gave one whit about what was or wasn't revealed in trailers. We just wanted to see cool ****. People understood that it was designed to get you excited -- and it did.

The closest thing I recall anyone being mad about was one of the soundtrack titles revealing that Qui-Gon would die; that did make some people upset.

There’s a certain irony in that the obsession with spoilers basically traces back to THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. People became fixated on wanting to relive the shock of the big reveal in that film.

I’ve spent a lot of time recently studying vintage news reports from the lead-up to TPM’s release. The most hyped and anticipated film in history, full-stop. Absolutely nothing would have met those expectations. It was totally insane. Wild.

I also recently rewatched all six films. There’s nothing wrong with TPM. It’s a very good and incredibly well-made film. While it does has its flaws, the story is very clever, and the groundwork is carefully laid for the overall arc of the trilogy (and the series) as a whole. The “skip TPM, especially in Machete Order” people are wrong. There were things I liked and things I didn’t like, back on opening day, but the film has grown more and more on me, over the years. I see what Lucas was doing, in terms of story, characters, and themes, and I appreciate it.

This film has been unjustly reviled for many years, mainly because of expectations. People had 16 years to imagine what this film would be, and the vast majority of “criticisms” boil down to, “it wasn’t what I expected”, or “X should have been Y”.

It always comes down to “should have been”.

I once got into a debate with someone who was dead-set on hating both the film and Lucas. For example, he claimed that the goofy battle droids were just “Lucas throwing crap at the wall”. I countered that they were a plot point: the droids are goody and ineffective, which is why Palpatine has to go with Plan B by creating the clone army. This guy wouldn’t hear any of it. As far as he was concerned, it was just dumb, and Lucas had no story and no good ideas. Period.

The people who enshrined the RedLetterMedia reviews as shining examples of film criticism should be ashamed of themselves, frankly. Those hitpiece “reviews” unfortunately turned the tide against the films, and are a perfect expression of middle-aged fans taking out their aggression just because a film was not what they had EXPECTED since childhood. Instead of turning their thinking caps around and trying to take in the story and the ideas as presented with an open mind, they threw a hissy-fit because they didn’t get bounty hunters and Darth Vader killing people.

On the flipside, I recently made the decision to revisit the dreaded Disney films. Years have passed, and my wounds have healed, which puts me in a position to objectively analyze the absolute trainwreck of it. They’re all terrible to varying degrees, but THE LAST JEDI is legitimately one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Maybe even one of the worst films ever made. Nothing makes sense. Nothing matters. Overlong, pretentious, tone-deaf insanity with zero regard for what had come before or for the Big Picture of the entire series. All style and no substance, made by a childlike narcissist indie-film weirdo.

I find myself feeling renewed contempt for the shills and weirdos who have defended it as some kind of subversive, artistic masterpiece for the past six years. They picked the wrong hill to die on. Geez. The emperor truly has no clothes.

Not one of the Disney movies has even a fraction of the intelligence, sociological relevance, or boundless imagination of THE PHANTOM MENACE. People accused the film (and the prequels in general) of killing the STAR WARS franchise, and then Disney came along and asked them to hold their beer. This is validation of the once in a lifetime genius of George Lucas, because the abject failure of Disney has drawn a dividing line between Lucas Era and Disney Era.

I’ll take Lucas’ flawed surface and solid core over Disney’s flashy surface and hollow core any day.

So, yeah, I’d love to see TPM in the theater, but The Mouse gets no money from me.
Well put. I think the only thing the last jedi did the most well, is the cinematography looked good....but, that surely doesn't make it a good film, and especially a good Star Wars film.

I think George expected people to like Jar Jar more than they did. I think the two biggest issues with him, were that overly goofy, silly clumsiness, (which I am as well, so that didn't bother me) and that he was a little bit hard to understand in parts, so you did have to watch it a few times and really pay attention to really get everything he said.
Had they toned him down and make his better to understand, I don't think he would have been so hated.

I always love the scene when the sub breaks down.
Qui-gon...."just relax, were not in trouble yet."

"What yet? Monsters out there, leaking in here, all sinking and no power? Whens you thinkings wesa in trouble?"

I loved that part....I mean, I gotta agree with Jar jar....its looking pretty bad for them at the moment.....lol.

TPM did have the best teaser trailer; I do remember that.

“Every Generation Has A Legend…”

For The Prequel Generation, that legend is Jar Jar Binks…”

;)

I remember when Entertainment Tonight showed it for the first time, I believe that was the first time it was shown anywhere and then it went up on apple.com shortly afterward and crashed their site.

I also just realized that the version theyre probably going to play in theaters this weekend is probably the new one with the CG Yoda :(

I remember when Entertainment Tonight showed it for the first time, I believe that was the first time it was shown anywhere and then it went up on apple.com shortly afterward and crashed their site.

I also just realized that the version theyre probably going to play in theaters this weekend is probably the new one with the CG Yoda :(
I've actually never watched the CGI Yoda version. Seen short video clips of it, but not the whole movie.
The puppet for this film was a little on the odd side already.

Well put. I think the only thing the last jedi did the most well, is the cinematography looked good....but, that surely doesn't make it a good film, and especially a good Star Wars film.

I think George expected people to like Jar Jar more than they did. I think the two biggest issues with him, were that overly goofy, silly clumsiness, (which I am as well, so that didn't bother me) and that he was a little bit hard to understand in parts, so you did have to watch it a few times and really pay attention to really get everything he said.
Had they toned him down and make his better to understand, I don't think he would have been so hated.

I always love the scene when the sub breaks down.
Qui-gon...."just relax, were not in trouble yet."

"What yet? Monsters out there, leaking in here, all sinking and no power? Whens you thinkings wesa in trouble?"

I loved that part....I mean, I gotta agree with Jar jar....its looking pretty bad for them at the moment.....lol.
He made what seemed on the surface to be a fun little kids' movie (complete with a fake happy ending), which then morphs into the apocalyptic opera of ROTS.

The story ages along with the target audience of kids. It begins lighthearted and innocent, then goes dark.

Not one of the Disney movies has even a fraction of the intelligence, sociological relevance, or boundless imagination of THE PHANTOM MENACE. People accused the film (and the prequels in general) of killing the STAR WARS franchise, and then Disney came along and asked them to hold their beer.

A key place I think the Prequels succeeded was in building up new lore so that later writers could build off of it. They also left gaps in the timeline that could be used to set stories. As opposed to the sequels where JJ deliberately cut what little backstory lore was filmed. Then Johnson set the next movie without a gap, thought that's partially JJ's fault for leaving TFA on a cliffhanger (there were ways around that). But that means there is no opportunity for stuff set between, like the Clone wars show.

A key place I think the Prequels succeeded was in building up new lore so that later writers could build off of it. They also left gaps in the timeline that could be used to set stories. As opposed to the sequels where JJ deliberately cut what little backstory lore was filmed. Then Johnson set the next movie without a gap, thought that's partially JJ's fault for leaving TFA on a cliffhanger (there were ways around that). But that means there is no opportunity for stuff set between, like the Clone wars show.
Rey standing there attempting to hand Skywalker his old light saber, and then, a time freeze occurs....before we know it, 6 years have passed with them both standing like that frozen.

Knowing Disney, they'd do something stupid like that to try and cram in more story, if money signs were showing up anyways.

I read that they were doing all six films back-to-back across two days, or something. Is that right? I don't know if I can spend that time watching Star Wars like that.

I don't mind the PT but the issue I have is that every time there's some sort of commemorative cash-grab event for Star Wars, the theaters play TPM to kick-start playing the others for a limited time event, and nothing ever comes of it because no one wants to see AotC. Not even the saddest apologists for the PT will do that. AotC is such a 'nothing' movie. It only exists to dully bridge TPM to RotS, where the main meat of the PT's story is all compacted, and RotS is arguably the most watchable of the PT.

Release them in order of original theatrical release: STAR WARS, ESB, RotJ. Then, we can think about the PT pulling numbers. People still love the OT (despite all the needless tinkerings) and would rather see them more than anything else. It's so easy to do; I don't know how the corpo dogs mess this up each and every time.

Wow, I didn’t expect this many people saying they would go see TPM!

Happy to hear several good memories surrounding the release and even Midnight Madness. By 1999, I had all of the POTF2 figures and vehicles and couldn’t wait for a new story and toys to play with. I remember my grandpa going to Walmart at midnight and getting as much as he could, and then my grandma picking me up for lunch at school so we could go to Kmart! That was so special and exciting. None of the other kids could even believe it. All of my classmates at school already knew me as the Star Wars kid, and eventually they all wanted to see the movie with me on opening day. That was by far the most popular I’d be for a long time (until my early 20’s, in fact).

I guess TPM really the tint pole of so many good memories. From time with my family to some of the only good memories I had in school. That is what is more important to me than the film or the merchandise…The memories.

I really like certain aspects of TPM.

For one thing, it felt like the most 'finished' of the prequels (AOTC being the worst). The pacing, the VFX, the tone, etc.

The other thing, which I don't think many people have ever gotten, is that Lucas basically made a 'period piece'. It was sort of a costume drama in SW. It actually felt like the past of that distant future - not an easy thing to do if you think about it. It was a great idea for the earliest movie in his timeline. And it established a world that was very different from what came later as the republic fell and the industrial-scale wars started.

I really like certain aspects of TPM.

For one thing, it felt like the most 'finished' of the prequels (AOTC being the worst). The pacing, the VFX, the tone, etc.

The other thing, which I don't think many people have ever gotten, is that Lucas basically made a 'period piece'. It was sort of a costume drama in SW. It actually felt like the past of that distant future - not an easy thing to do if you think about it. It was a great idea for the earliest movie in his timeline. And it established a world that was very different from what came later as the republic fell and the industrial-scale wars started.

The Pod Race Sequence definitely still stands up.

I’ve been waiting to post this…Some of my best (and only) childhood memories come from 1999 and the release of TPM merch at midnight madness. 25 years ago today, that happened. My grandpa went out and got several bags of stuff for me at Walmart, and then my grandma picked me up from school at lunch and took me to K mart.

When we bought the house, I knew I wanted a TPM display somewhere. I don’t think there’s enough space to keep this display up forever, but man did it bring a smile (and many tears) to see this stuff like that again.
8830D645-1E29-4F16-8E23-CC2EBA6F104E.jpeg

It's worth seeing if they pump up the volume for the duel of fates and pod race scene, the intro isn't bad either.

Am I the only person as a kid who watched SW on fast forward once people started talking? To me TPM is the intro, escape from naboo, pod race, darth maul v quiqui, end battle. ESB was basically fast forward to the end. ROTJ after Jabba dies fast forward to speeder bike chase, and then end battle.

I've probably told this story before, but, perfect for here.
I graduated high school in 2000 in Orlando, FL. About June, we decided to go visit where I had been born in the New Orleans, Louisiana area.
I was actually born on a Navy base close to the Mississippi river.
In 2000, we went to drive by that hospital, and found out, they had converted it to the Navy Exchange (basically the major store for everyone)
I found Obi-Wan's light saber from Phantom Menace, so I had to buy it, knowing I got to buy a light saber in the same building I was born in.
On boarding the plane to go back to Orlando, I had it in the box in a bag that I was going to just carry. But.....security said its technically a weapon, so needs to go under the plane with the luggage. Ridiculous enough....so they have me go back to the main check in, but they needed to put it in a box. All they had was like this 6 foot tall skinny box to put it in.
So when we get to Orlando and waiting at the baggage claim area, here comes this giant box on the carousel.
I take the boxed saber out of the giant box, claiming, I didn't even have batteries, how is this a weapon???
s-l1600 (1).jpg

It pretty much looked like this, here with my super fast photoshop.
saberlugage.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back