‘The Rocketeer’ returns to El Capitan with cast and crew

By my reckoning Evil Rocketeer, JayPHX, Utinni, and I are attending.

Guess I'll look for Utinni in his Rocketeer jacket so I can say "Hey!" :)

I have no Rocketeer stuff to wear (yet), but I'll go with a red shirt. The good news for everyone who isn't going is that there will be a four hour window when Rocketeer stuff on EBAY will probably be going for really cheap

I'm driving out from Arizona but plan on getting there around 5. I've never been to the El Capitan before, do they generally line you up outside or let you into the lobby?

That's could almost be considered a pilgrimage. :lol

I'm not familiar with the drive from Arizona but just letting you know that I drive that area just about every day for work and the north bound traffic on the 101 can get pretty knarly around that time.

...and yes I just used the word knarly.

Yeah, it's a wee bit farther than my regular commute, but how could I possibly miss this? I'm showing up earlier in the day to check out a few things so hopefully traffic won't interfere until the end. Maybe I'll have time to swing by Staples and pick up some "Hi my name is" badges

Haha yeah that's a good idea, just didn't want you to be cutting it close.

"Hi my name is *insert rpf username here*" :lol

i still have my prop party username badge :)

but i wouldnt wear it haha......

i was hoping to check out the griffith observatory before the screening but all depends on traffic

The good news for everyone who isn't going is that there will be a four hour window when Rocketeer stuff on EBAY will probably be going for really cheap

:lol

If I happen to come across something with a cheap "buy it now" that goes up during that timeframe, I'll be sure to try to nab it. However, I'd be surprised if Mike isn't sitting in the theater during the movie bidding against me even then. He's evil that way ;) :lol It's all good though... I think of it as how he's saved me from getting in trouble with the wife. :lol

Looking forward to hearing reports on Wednesday!

They know a loyal fanbase exists and with that they can offer a limited number of whatever and people will buy it. Mostly this is due to the fact that there is almost nothing out there by way of collectables. I was saddened to hear from a friend of mine the other day telling me there's talk at the studio about finally doing a sequel to Rocketeer - where this may seem like good news on one hand, it's truly not. First off, it's suspicious that this rumbling started right after Dave Stevens passed, meaning he will have no input at all - he did have a some on the first film, but his input no matter how small is worth it's weight in gold. Second, everyone is too old, so this won't be the Nazi rocketpackers vs Rocketeers, it's going to be a Reboot and I just don't think I'm up for a CG 1930's rocketman movie. With a little luck- this will all just go away.

Yeah, it'd be weird to have a sequel or a reboot. I'd have been all for a sequel 15 years ago with the original cast but not so much now and I dunno about a reboot... I guess when you're a pretty hardcore fan of a movie, any kind of reboot will never be able to compare to the original though it would have been pretty sweet to see the Rocketeer fighting some Nazi rocketmen... Knowing Disney now though, I'm sure they'd go the Marvel route and have him fight "Hydra" style rocketmen. I doubt they'd mention the word Nazi or use the swastika even on a bad guy these days.

Dave told me when I met him at DragonCon that he and Joe Johnston both lobbied to keep the film a bit darker... He said they weren't trying to make the movie "dark" per se, just keep in some slightly darker elements. I believe one of the things he was referring to was a scene that was cut in-between when Cliff leaves the Bulldog Cafe and lands at the South Seas Club where he saves a woman from getting mugged in an alley... or something to that effect. I think they both wanted to keep that scene in and Disney wouldn't let them.

I think the thing with the rocketpack that I think you (?) mentioned before must have something to do with the movie and comic rights. You never see the movie style rocketpack in the comics or the comic style rocketpack in movie merchandise so it's got to have something to do with the division of intellectual property...

In terms of the movie not being "dark enough", they did manage to leave in a villain whose trademark it to snap people in two with his bear hands:)

I was at the El Capitan on the opening night 20 years ago, which if I remember correctly was the first night the theater was open after it's refurbishing by Disney.

I don't remember much of a line outside the box office for the film and I can't remember if the place was really packed or not. I do remember though it was a great theatrical experience because the screen at least that night had more than one set of curtains that went up and parted and some of it was all shimmering like out of the 1930's movie-house fantasy which the crowd went nuts for. My memory is that there was a fanfare like "Hooray for Hollywood" that played when the curtains did their magic but closing my eyes and trying to remember it all is a little dim two decades later. Seems like a set of curtains red opened horizontally, shimmering curtains behind that went up, and I think there was maybe one of those kind of curtains that rose with strings in it ever few feet that gives that big ruffled look, though I don't know what that's called. I think when they went up there was some previews and such and then one or some of the curtains closed again lights playing their surfaces very briefly and the whole thing went through the curtains rising with fanfare and then the film started to cheering.

I know that sounds perhaps rather dull to hear me recall it, but believe me I had never seen anything like that before and I thought it was awesome. I wonder if they still do that? I'm trying to think if I saw other movies there afterward, but I just can't remember and I moved away from California after the 94 quakes so this is a long ago memory for me.

Now this is the weird thing. I look in on RPF from time to time, but don't read every day, so I missed this thread until today. Last night I placed DVD roulette with myself reaching into my DVD collection to pick something out to watch; close eyes and grab. Yep, "The Rocketeer". Hadn't watched it in forever and when I was done, I thought I'd hit the special features which on my version is just the trailer. I goggled at the screen when it said "Opens June 21" and I turned the box over, yep 1991. Had to look at the calender, yep after midnight so it was the 21st of June when I was watching that. Not too often to have a weird coincidence like that.

I wish I could be there and do it all over again tonight, but I'm half a country away. I hope it's as good a time as the opening night was. I really loved this movie.

Whoop it up for all the fin-head fans like me who can't be there.

I'm in Irvine at the moment and will be heading up shortly just to get in the area early. I may or may not have my jacket on since it was pretty warm last night. If I don't have it on, I'll be wearing a brown bowling type shirt with a WWII style pin-up on the back.

I'm gonna bring my gauntlets and see if I can get Bill's autograph on one!

See ya guys there!

- Jeff

I'm in Irvine at the moment and will be heading up shortly just to get in the area early. I may or may not have my jacket on since it was pretty warm last night. If I don't have it on, I'll be wearing a brown bowling type shirt with a WWII style pin-up on the back.

I'm gonna bring my gauntlets and see if I can get Bill's autograph on one!

See ya guys there!

- Jeff
Jeff, et al.,
I'm wearing a red Nike LiveStrong shirt and white jeans.

See y'all in a bit!
Thom

One of you guys must have a iPhone or something.

Aren't we supposed be all media oriented now?

Somebody ought to be twittering or something like that from the event... right?

Where are all our young bright, connected members?

I'm not there that's why. :lol

Kidding aside a few live updates would be nice from our prominent members attending, we need details and musings from the frontlines.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back