1:1 Ledger Joker Bust - New Pics in Post #29 (old but overdue for update)

Re: NEW 1:1 Ledger Joker Bust (yes, another one)

ok, did a little photo shoot today - didnt change the paint at all yet, but dressed him up real purdy:

DSCN6712.jpg

DSCN6710.jpg

DSCN6711.jpg

DSCN6714.jpg

DSCN6716.jpg

DSCN6715.jpg

Re: NEW 1:1 Ledger Joker Bust (yes, another one) - ADDED LOTS O' PICS!

I think it looks excellent!
It's a very nice sculpt. I do have to agree that there is something off about the eyes, I don't think they are to big but they appear a bit lifeless or cartoonish because of the paint job.
I think if the eyes were redone it would be perfect. Everything else about the sculpt looks great, I think redo the eyes and it'll really do it justice, maybe some fine detail work such as capillary's would help to bring them to life. But I also aknowledge that the eyes can be the hardest part of any paint job to enliven.
Don't mean to come off as if I'm nitpicking, the sculpt really is great it's just the paint job on the eyes.

thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback. I have some brown eyeballs I could stick in, but drilling out the eye holes to make them fit is such a pain and easy to screw up...

I like the lack of glass eyes. It makes your mannequin look like a lifesize action figure! I'm a big fan.

Nice job! I like the "look" it has. Kind of a "Do I look like I'm joking" look with a little anger tossed in.

I don't have the stones to try painting up a lifesize bust. So many nice ones out there to buy, but I could see messing it up big time. :lol

thanks guys - he got a much better paint job today, I'll post more pics tomorrow...

Definately a much nicer sculpt than your last one. You can tell you're improving with every project. The only thing that can be improved on this piece is the paintjob, as a few others have pointed out.

Just look at making the whites of the eyes a darker grey pink color and show where the eyeball meets the edges of the eyelids by lightening the corners of the eyelids as if the make-up did quite reach those areas. Remember to try and make this look like smeared on, roughly applied war paint. Make it look dirty and less flat looking.

Phil

Thanks guys. I tried improving the paint job. Its still not perfect but its better than before. I know painted eyes are lame, and I'll never make them look right, but this casting is way too thick to try sticking actual eyes in. I plan on making another thinner casting for that purpose. Anyway, here are the updated pics:

DSCN6722.jpg

DSCN6737.jpg

DSCN6727.jpg

DSCN6736.jpg

looks good...i hope you are planning to go with glass eyes on this bad boy...

I think the whole eye problem is that the skin color around them and the muscle area in the corner of the eyes needs to be a little darker, right now its so light, it makes the eyes look larger than they really are on the sculpt

I think the whole eye problem is that the skin color around them and the muscle area in the corner of the eyes needs to be a little darker, right now its so light, it makes the eyes look larger than they really are on the sculpt

This is what I realized when I looked at the photos... Its so frustrating, this thing looks so different in person than in photos. The above pics were taken outside, in sunlight, which I thought would be the best way. The white ends up looking really washed out and just, well, bad. In person its very "splotchy" and you can see skin tone showing through in several places.

I plan also to add some "real" hair (from a wig) in with te sculpted hair to hang down onto his shoulders and frizz out in places. This was my pllan with the hair from the start, although I dont think it looks bad how it is.

Thanks again everybody for the constructive feedback. Maybe I'll just send a casting off to one of the talented painters here and see what they can do with it...

Photography is always an exercise in frustration - especially when it comes to pale color schemes. I’m never able to get it to look quite as good as it does in person

That said, I think this is a great sculpt! I absolutely love the positioning of the head and the subtle hunch. IMHO it gives it that movie poster vibe which works very well with your display.

I do think the eyes are kind of big. I think if you redo them and make them slightly smaller it will make a WORLD of difference.

Other than that I think you did a wonderful job!

Last edited:

Here he is w/ the interrogation scene paintjob and glass eyes. Not surprisingly, the glass eyes make a HUGE difference (which cant really be seen in this pic, but I'll take better ones when he's done). I am, as you can see, adding the real hair to hang down at the bottom as well. Say what you want about the likeness, but this this looks like a real human head in person, which is freaking my family out nicely... :D

056.jpg

Here are some new pics w/ the interrogation scene paintjob and better fitting eyes:

DSCN6838.jpg

DSCN6834.jpg

DSCN6837.jpg

DSCN6836.jpg

Really great work you've done there. Great sculpt IMO!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back