2022 Kenobi Series Lightsaber Screen Caps SPOILERS

Something else I thought of…. Based on the orientation of the Graflex saber on Anakins belt, and the orientation of the Graflex saber in the box after Ben digs it up in the dessert, the covertec could have/probably was on the Graflex saber in the box we just couldn’t see it.

When I saw the covertec mech on the belt I ran to that box picture and sure enough, if it’s on it, exactly like you’ve said, it could be in the bottom… stinka!!

E95F4AD0-EE92-4AE8-9E71-A0F8B71B8BA4.jpeg

I am on the fence though.. if you look above, I swear we can see the dring clip on the end of it

Also the one hanging on his belt seems to have a machined cap covering the end, sticking up past the lip of the can

Which we can’t see in the photo above..

Possibility multiple were purchased? Idk..

Based on those nice big clean screencaps from onderon (Thanks !!) I think every time we see the Anakin saber it's a Master Replicas ANH Luke Graflex with the d-ring removed, a covertec added, and a disk covering the Graflex endcap.
Just playing devil's advocate here... But why would they modify a MR replica, a limited semi-valuable item, instead of just building up a currently available Graflex replica? I'm just sayin'...

Just playing devil's advocate here... But why would they modify a MR replica, a limited semi-valuable item, instead of just building up a currently available Graflex replica? I'm just sayin'...
Well, Lucasfilm/Disney wouldn't see it as the same sort of value as we do. Its a piece bought for production, something that Lucasfilm as already signed off on accuracy wise (albeit over a decade prior) and now, even with modifications becomes significantly more valuable as a screen used prop. If it suits what they want prop wise, the market value of that isn't gonna REALLY bother them, within reason.

Edit- LFL may very well be under the opinion that if the MR stuff was made using Lucasfilm assets and reference, then its more accurate than anything else on the market. It may be incorrect but as a company thats not an unusual way to think. They also may be hesitant to use fan made items in such to not be seen "promoting" unlicensed replicas or props

The Obi saber I get. Lucasfilm owns the episode 3 design and maybe the production could only access "legit" sources for that, and a production made piece would be more expensive. But a Graflex or MPP is effectively public domain, so they could get those from anyone. Or maybe someone on the crew had the MR to loan to the production, and when it's returned, they basically have a screen used prop for free. Otherwise, modifying an MR piece just seems an odd choice.

The Obi saber I get. Lucasfilm owns the episode 3 design and maybe the production could only access "legit" sources for that, and a production made piece would be more expensive. But a Graflex or MPP is effectively public domain, so they could get those from anyone. Or maybe someone on the crew had the MR to loan to the production, and when it's returned, they basically have a screen used prop for free. Otherwise, modifying an MR piece just seems an odd choice.
I wish they'd just officially embrace the lightsaber community and start using decent replicas.

I wish they'd just officially embrace the lightsaber community and start using decent replicas.
Honestly I'm glad under certain circumstances they don't. It would be one thing if they use like a Graflex or Mk1 or something. Those lightsabers are all built from real world parts. But the Prequel lightsabers we need to be careful. Say they had decided to use Roman's Inception. Now that becomes property of Disney/Lucasfilm. Can Roman still sell his saber? We're already walking on glass with some of our replicas.

Honestly I'm glad under certain circumstances they don't. It would be one thing if they use like a Graflex or Mk1 or something. Those lightsabers are all built from real world parts. But the Prequel lightsabers we need to be careful. Say they had decided to use Roman's Inception. Now that becomes property of Disney/Lucasfilm. Can Roman still sell his saber? We're already walking on glass with some of our replicas.
Roman and other replica makers are already walking on glass by making designs based on Lucasfilm owned concepts. It’s a gray area in terms of IP and trademarks given the basis on real world items, or things derived from them.

We’ve also seen productions embrace fan builders. Romans stuff has been used before. Let’s also not forget that the 401st and the R2 builder communities have become almost essential to productions.

When it comes down to it, it is just THIS show that seems to be full of really off choices that don’t seem to be made with financial or logical reasoning. We’ve got photographic proof AND a first-hand account of somebody who was there that they had access to the very best and most accurate replicas— and yet chose what they did.

This means it was one of, or a combination of, these three things:

1. Somebody had a private supply they wanted legitimized

2. Somebody didn’t listen to what they were being told and blew off the fan research and community and decided that official replicas, even dated ones, were sacrosanct.

3. What was chosen had some sort of advantage in the areas production needed them for in terms of application.

This really isn’t hard to understand once you get involved, from their budget point, it’s cheaper to buy a few MR then it is to pay someone for a design, then pay someone to setup tooling, then send it out to be anodized and chromed.. assembled..

Not only is a cheaper… but the main point is TIME

They grab it off eBay, or someone’s “personal collection” wink wink hint hint.. and they are done

I’ve said enough.. I’m gonna get in trouble

This really isn’t hard to understand once you get involved, from their budget point, it’s cheaper to buy a few MR then it is to pay someone for a design, then pay someone to setup tooling, then send it out to be anodized and chromed.. assembled..

Not only is a cheaper… but the main point is TIME

They grab it off eBay, or someone’s “personal collection” wink wink hint hint.. and they are done

I’ve said enough.. I’m gonna get in trouble
Would said person, who is also likely aware of the issues in using the MR props due to inaccuracies in continuity, not... say something about this issue and suggest maybe just using a better off-the-shelf replica from the community? Seriously, what's £300 to LFL?

Would said person, who is also likely aware of the issues in using the MR props due to inaccuracies in continuity, not... say something about this issue and suggest maybe just using a better off-the-shelf replica from the community? Seriously, what's £300 to LFL?

I really have to tread lightly here… but they paid BIG for some of these MR props.. which also included a MK1 during the same purchase

MR sent Lucasfilm one of their ANH OWK lightsabers and a ANH Skywalker lightsaber which they had asked for.

I figure the MRs weren't used in ROTS because George wanted them to look newly built, more "graceful" than one built from found parts.

I wish this show had contacted me for Jedi Accessory replicas. IMO: Their Holoprojector is small and appears to have lost some weight. Also the 3 tines (arms) as standing legs - was originally from a concept drawing: ...because it's a handheld device it was deemed impractical & never implemented.

Attachments

• HP in hand 1.jpg
    HP in hand 1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 57
  • SW E1 A-99.jpg
    SW E1 A-99.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 55
  • gsl.jpg
    gsl.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Oh and this Etsy seller copied my design!
How do I know? ...because he attempted (& failed) to 'borrow' my design for the underside = the original prop is flat backed! ;)

Attachments

• SWE-1 HP BACK.jpg
    SWE-1 HP BACK.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 47

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back