Predatorium A Fresh Start For The Hunter’s Lair

Well said. No matter what we call this community, the power is not in the name, but in the spirit and the members.

kithunter said:
PREDATORIUM?......the name seems a little broad stroked but I was never about the name it was about the spirit and the members..it's arts company and his call.

i'm still passionate about the hobby I created...always will be.

LONG LIVE THE HUNTERS LAIR!!!!!.....

I’ve been on TDH since day 1, and I’ve been on The Hunter’s Lair since day 1. Literally. Since, like Kithunter said, it feels like the original group will vanish with Predatorium, what about doing something like TDH does? Meaning everyone knows it as The Dented Helmet, and the web url is that same name, but then when you actually go to the forum, it says The Dented Helmet (the site name), and in smaller font underneath it says “A Star Wars costuming resource – The authority on Boba Fett”. So to make the current board members here blend with the incoming new members who will know it as Predatorium, why not do a header wording like TDH does when people go to the forum page, making it say:

PREDATORIUM
The Hunter’s Lair

…..very much like the way TDH has their forum header? For all intents and purposes, everything about the new site would be PREDATORIUM….but the title page only would reflect the old name into it that way.

Mr Fett said:
Ive been on TDH since day 1, and Ive been on The Hunters Lair since day 1. Literally. Since, like Kithunter said, it feels like the original group will vanish with Predatorium, what about doing something like TDH does? Meaning everyone knows it as The Dented Helmet, and the web url is that same name, but then when you actually go to the forum, it says The Dented Helmet (the site name), and in smaller font underneath it says A Star Wars costuming resource The authority on Boba Fett. So to make the current board members here blend with the incoming new members who will know it as Predatorium, why not do a header wording like TDH does when people go to the forum page, making it say:

PREDATORIUM
The Hunters Lair

..very much like the way TDH has their forum header? For all intents and purposes, everything about the new site would be PREDATORIUM.but the title page only would reflect the old name into it that way.
I like the sound of that, is that achievable?

And I agree I'll still be here Iraspect of the name, I'm here because of what I enjoy.

A great man once said. " I don't do special effects. I do characters. I do creatures " Long live Stan long live the "Lair" we do The Creature !!

One Ugly Mutha Fukka

image.jpg

Many sites have something of a tag line. All of our sites do.

For TDH it is "Be Fett."
For the 405th is it "Build Your Character."
For the RPF it is "Craft Your Fandom."

Like I said, in early variants, we already had "The Hunter's Lair" for Predatorium.

lowdmekon said:
I like the sound of that, is that achievable?

And I agree I'll still be here Iraspect of the name, I'm here because of what I enjoy.

A great man once said. " I don't do special effects. I do characters. I do creatures " Long live Stan long live the "Lair" we do The Creature !!

One Ugly Mutha Fukka

So, Mike and I were talking and he asked about the domain name. I am more than satisfied with Predatorium because it hits pretty much every target we wanted. However, at Mike's request and in deference to the membership, I will make this offer.

We are making the move late next week. If you can come up with a domain name that meets the following stipulations, I would give it serious consideration.

Here are the stipulations (all of which Predatorium meet).

Site name must be 11 characters or less.
Site must be available to register (or be purchased for a reasonable amount)
Site name must include the word PREDATOR.

That is it.

Just going to throw this one in there. PredatorTHL. It has predator in it (which helps) while it still embodies the spirit of the Lair. Something for the kids to get down too. THL bro! lol  ;)

TRI_LASER said:
Just going to throw this one in there. PredatorTHL. It has predator in it (which helps) while it still embodies the spirit of the Lair. Something for the kids to get down too. THL bro! lol  ;)
Fits like a glove!!!!

Art, you stated earlier that you wouldn't take a vote, and if you did the at very least it would be a poll for some of the decisions.  Now you're moving to change the name to something that mos people think is ridiculous and doesn't properly reflect any part at all of "The Hunters Lair"???!  Some of the regular people that come here have already stated that they really aren't too keen that you ALONE have decided to take out the very name that represents this place...well dude, it's your choice and you've made it clear that it's not ours collectively as a whole - which is what this place used to be.  From this point on, I think it's fair to say that the changed you're making are monumental and going in a direction that you think it needs to go.  I wish you all the luck and I hope some of my huntorials survive the transition so that they're around for others to still enjoy for years to come...

Here's one question that popped into my head - when people type in www.thehunterslair.com will they be redirected to www.predatoruim.com ?

Jason,

Of course your posts will transition, just like all of the other content.

And of course thehunterslair.com and all of its links will 301 redirect to predatorium.com. We have that domain registered through 2020 so we would be insane not to redirect it to the new domain. Old links and people with old bookmarks will be redirected for at least the next half-decade.

PredatrHuntr said:
I wish you all the luck and I hope some of my huntorials survive the transition so that they're around for others to still enjoy for years to come...

Here's one question that popped into my head - when people type in www.thehunterslair.com will they be redirected to www.predatoruim.com ?

I appreciate the effort on this one, but after showing it and a couple of other suggestions to our design team... it is a no go on this name. It is just too awkward either to say or to present on any future swag. Andrew actually came up with a pretty good one, but there are some hurtles that would need to be crossed to acquire it. We are looking into it now.

TRI_LASER said:

I look forward to Andrews effort. Shame about the one I chose. Told a number of people about it and they really liked it. I think what ever the new name is this place will always be known as The Lair. Unless you're joining 5-10 years from now and have no idea about what came before. The abbreviation was put in there because its just pretty much how everyone types these days, its just everywhere now. I mean AVP was chosen as the standard, no one really says alien vs predator. As I said to you before I can see THL on merch. But anyway hope the ideas keep on flowing.  :)

What about the photo galleries ? One of the best things about this site is the vast wealth of Predator images. Would it be possiable to organize them in categories for easy reference ? I have my tablet all divided out with all the images unused as reference for my build ie: hands, feet, bio, computer gauntlet, blade gauntlet, ect. It would make searching the site for a referance mage so easy you just go to the category you are working on and there are all the images. People could upload their personal images to their personal galleries and also choose a second appropriate catagory for the image. If I upload a pic of my plasma caster it goes in my gallery and I also choose the PLASMA CASTER gallery.

Just my thought bit it would be really helpful.

Thank you for all the work you put into this site and the new version. As a new builder it could not have done it without "THE LAIR"

Mike,

If we were as big as AvPGalaxy, I think this would be a different story. When it comes to initialisms, it all comes down to how well or how little you are known. For all the success that this community has had, in the overall scheme of things, it is still very small, so only using its initials doesn't work for it all that well. Also, unlike the RPF and TDH that have seemed to be initialized over the years, I rarely if ever hear the Hunter's Lair referred to as "THL" but instead it is abbreviated to just "The Lair."

I do agree with you that many will continue to call this community the Lair for years to come and you know what? There is nothing at all wrong with that! That is the community's history and starting point. We aren't ashamed of it or trying to hide it and won't try to make people stop using it.

TRI_LASER said:
I look forward to Andrews effort. Shame about the one I chose. Told a number of people about it and they really liked it. I think what ever the new name is this place will always be known as The Lair. Unless you're joining 5-10 years from now and have no idea about what came before. The abbreviation was put in there because its just pretty much how everyone types these days, its just everywhere now. I mean AVP was chosen as the standard, no one really says alien vs predator. As I said to you before I can see THL on merch. But anyway hope the ideas keep on flowing.  :)

Mike,

This was one of the things that drove us to go to xenforo as our software choice instead of moving the Lair to vBulletin, like all of our other sites. When we tried to move the Lair to vBulletin, we lost the galleries and I just wasn't willing to do that. Far too many members have invested too much time and effort building the galleries we have here and it was a MUST that those be transferred.

In regard to making new categories for the gallery, once we are moved and the dust has settled (to be sure, there will be a LOT of "dust" after the initial move and a lot of things we are going to need to tweak and adjust) we can certainly revisit that issue. Modern galleries are setup a bit differently than the one we have here... more like pinterest. I am still learning my way around them, but I do see your point. Lets talk again about this after the move.

spgfx said:
What about the photo galleries ? One of the best things about this site is the vast wealth of Predator images. Would it be possiable to organize them in categories for easy reference ? I have my tablet all divided out with all the images unused as reference for my build ie: hands, feet, bio, computer gauntlet, blade gauntlet, ect. It would make searching the site for a referance mage so easy you just go to the category you are working on and there are all the images. People could upload their personal images to their personal galleries and also choose a second appropriate catagory for the image. If I upload a pic of my plasma caster it goes in my gallery and I also choose the PLASMA CASTER gallery.

Just my thought bit it would be really helpful.

Thank you for all the work you put into this site and the new version. As a new builder it could not have done it without "THE LAIR"

Hoping the name I came up with works out....I think it's about respecting the history and moving forward..
This place is not about the one or the few, it's about ALL of us, old schoolers and new bloods.  it was always about us having a place to escape and develop. 

lots of passion for this place as we have seen in recent days.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back