A L I E N Narcissus *Completed*

Wow this is absolutely amazing, the primer really brings it all together. love the comparison pics too. keep up the good work can't wait to see the final piece

Templates are my secret weapon for kit part accuarcy...

While I am working my way across, detailing the front of the ship, I though I'd make a post on the methodology I use for positioning the kit parts.

The goal (obviously) is accuracy.
With that in mind, I had full size layouts printed of all the kit parts on the ship.
As they are taken directly from the 3D model (which is photomatched to the screen used ship) it means that these positions are as accurate as I can get them.
To transfer this to the physical build, I use the templates as (destructive) guides.
I simply cut out the part that I want to position, fit the template and glue the part inside the hole.
It's then just a matter of "rinse and repeat"! (lots and lots of times!)

The photos illustrate the sequence of how the parts in this section where placed.

Capture191.jpgCapture192.jpgCapture193.jpg

It takes a little time, but the results speak for themselves.

Capture194.jpg

I have also been looking ahead and have started laying out the artwork required for the decals.
I will take the same appoach as with the kit parts, and as they are drawn (in vector format) I will overlay them onto the reference photos to ensure that I get both an accurate representation of each decal and an exact location.

Capture195.jpg

Again, this will take time, but I only plan on doing this once!
1f642.png

*big thanks to vectorzero for helping source a decal image for me too - cheers mate :thumbsup

Capture191.jpg

Capture192.jpg

Capture193.jpg

Capture194.jpg

Capture195.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"It takes a little time, but the results speak for themselves."

That has been the case through your entire build. The time and attention speaks volumes. :cheers

Work on the top front of the ship is now done.
I love how the detailing is restrained and focused in specific areas - wonderful design work from the original modelmakers (none of which is visible on screen as the model was only shot from the underside!)

Capture196.jpg Capture197.jpg

Capture198.jpg Capture199.jpg

I'll move to the rear of the ship and detail the area around the airlock next...

The styrene tubing has now been added to the rear panels.
Pretty happy with the fit and match.

Capture206.jpg

Capture207.jpg

I did notice on review against the reference pictures that a couple of the styrene plating parts were a little undersized (0.5mm - 1mm), so I have removed them and replaced them with more accurate ones.

Will move onto fitting the last of the kit parts now.

630 kit parts have now been added to the ship (and most of the tiniest ones were in this section!).
...and with that, the rear panels are done, which concludes the construction portion of the build!

Apart from some minor tweaks along the way, everything fitted pretty much as it should.
The comparisons with the reference photos show that it is a close match to the work done on the original :)

Capture208.jpg

Capture209.jpg

Capture210.jpg

Capture211.jpg

I will add some primer to the top of the ship over the next few days to finish it off, and take some final comparison shots against the original (in primer).

Lol - the 100's of photo menthod would be one way to do it but no, I was a little more scientific with my methodology:

Having done the photomatching in sketchup, you can create an "advanced camera" for each match.
This will do two things:

1. Create a physcial camera model in your scene and will locate it correctly and
2. Tell you the exact focal length used.

You can then import the sketchup model into your modelling software and measure the location of the camera relative to the model.
Set the camera up on a tripod and using the focal length given shoot away!. It''s not 100% perfect, but it gets you very close.
I then take both images into photoshop and overlay them to match as close as I can and create the above images :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back