Interest Ahsoka - The Map ball - several options (grouped project Wonderknight & eethan)

Hi everyone :) ,
the little sister has arrived to be able to get out the run more quickly.;)
Cheers

IMG_0059.jpg

Hello,
I have made a big effort on the 3D model today and am close to an end regarding all the engraving maping. I was getting a bit overwelmed for a few days, displaying all the references over and over, changing a line here and there but Julie managed to re-focus me today, decided on a numbering system for each tile on the map and told me to go one by one, validate the tile with all the references it was visible in, color it green then move on to the next tile.
Felt a bit like going back to square one, but tonight I have 77% of the map validated, i need to change my mind a bit now and spend a quiet evening, but this is getting close :)
just a few tiles in orange that are a bit problematic, but I'll figure it out eventually :)

map_mapping_02.jpg

the printed tiles will be numbered and some kind of map will be provided for all kits to assemble the balls properly by the way :)

Julie has also done some paint testings that are now promising, she posted on the WIP thread for those:

cheers all

I hope you don’t mind, I thought of a dumb question about Option 2.

The description says ‘printed in 2 halves’. Are the halves following a natural valley between tiles but are more-or-less halves that go together like fingers, or is each half of the ball literally printed as halves and there will be a seam going across multiple tiles?

I hope you don’t mind, I thought of a dumb question about Option 2.

The description says ‘printed in 2 halves’. Are the halves following a natural valley between tiles but are more-or-less halves that go together like fingers, or is each half of the ball literally printed as halves and there will be a seam going across multiple tiles?
Hey,
Yes option 2 will be like you said, following valley, assembling like fingers, should be invisible.
Cheers

Do you have any concern about the thin plates warping over time? Ive found that thin 2d printed resin tends to start curling over time. I suppose of theyre glued down they might not.

Do you have any concern about the thin plates warping over time? Ive found that thin 2d printed resin tends to start curling over time. I suppose of theyre glued down they might not.
I don't know, we are using anicubic's plant based resin, it is really tough, I have been using it for 3 years for my death star detention dome light, I actually put them in my lathe's chuck to sand them, I had quite a few fly away when polishing them on a wheel as well and never broke one.
But I can't say how those will behave exactly with time, sorry.
Cheers

Hi everyone,
Today I made some test for the weathering and the light.
For the weathering I’m not completely satisfied but I will made more test when I will have 3D prints. Clearly one of the two is much too dark. For the funny little story, I came across my father with his tractor and I had the impression of having the same weathering, which is not really the effect I am looking for, I hope I can achieve something more subtil.
IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

For the light it’s just some test with scratches in paint but I’m quitte satisfied of the result
IMG_0089.jpeg
IMG_0091.jpeg

Update for tonight,
I'm not yet ready to sign up to the assylum but close for sure. damn, this model is about to kill me!

alright, so, I am done with that new pass of validation, coloring tyles in green, after this, I have 3 small tiles that are not 100% sure but close and 2 tiles unknown, a small one and the last triangle. All the rest is now 100% validated, finaly!

I thought I knew what that last triangle was but after a big brainstorming with Julie, turns out, what I found was the bottom of another tile that allowed me to improve it a bit, and we now think we finaly have identified that missing triangle in the temple shots where Ahsoka first discovers the ball.
So, it is very complex and I have spent so much much more time that I should have, but we are almost finished with matching all the engravings.
cheers

I’m also interested in option 5 at least assuming it looks as good as it seems to currently. I like shiny light up things. Extra points if you can find a way to hide a connector fo wired power so no dealing with batteries :p

I’m also interested in option 5 at least assuming it looks as good as it seems to currently. I like shiny light up things. Extra points if you can find a way to hide a connector fo wired power so no dealing with batteries :p
thank you :)
I think the light up version will look good, Julie has good leads so far, some she hasn't discussed yet. We are looking forward to be more advanced on this and show a bit more.
We really went back and forth on the battery/power supply thing but prefered to go with batteries for now to keep the "magical", handheld prop feel alive.
cheers

thank you :)
I think the light up version will look good, Julie has good leads so far, some she hasn't discussed yet. We are looking forward to be more advanced on this and show a bit more.
We really went back and forth on the battery/power supply thing but prefered to go with batteries for now to keep the "magical", handheld prop feel alive.
cheers
I’m looking a putting these into the screw caps on my clear ball.

Taidacent Micro USB 50mm Remote Wireless LEDs and Coil Inductive Induction Led Lamp Light Up Wireless Charger/Charging Kit for Model Decoration Magical Toys (10PCS 3MM Multi Color LEDs + Coil) Amazon.com

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back