Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Banzai88 is handling a couple of new stencils for me and can't wait to get em! Thanks so much. Moving close to finishing. Won't be completely screen accurate but it will work for me. No piping planned for the collar though, too daunting to sew on even though pink has a big place on the spacesuits. However, a big shoutout to all those who have helped me out. Thanks people!

Yes, this is all very good advice on how to proceed. However you manage it, an adhesive stencil and thick paint or printing ink applied slowly, almost dry-brushing it on. I used more or less that very method on my own Kane jacket, have a look here:

And I do apologize if that counts as a thread hijacking.

Good luck with your project!

Hey everyone, longtime lurker here. I thought to share my own Nostromo crew jacket progress and my methodology behind it!
nostromo1.jpeg

This was the jacket I got off eBay. The jacket was made in the early 2000s, but it had plenty of wear and tear! It had a great patina, but I knew I didn't want to stick with the greyish olive green. I followed Andy3E's dye recipe to get that original purpley grey. I had a bottle of the RIT denim blue, half a packet of RIT purple, and a dash of the pearl grey. Partway through the dye job I realized there wasn't enough purple and it was going to basically be navy blue. So I through the whole packet of purple in and hoped for the best. When dried I thought it looked amazing. It's definitely not the right color for the movie, but it just makes my jacket unique. I think those looking to dye their jackets should maybe stick with just the purple and pearl grey since my jacket came out very blue, but don't quote me on that. The dye was probably too concentrated.
nostromo2.jpeg

The camera makes it look more purple than it actually is.
nostromo3.jpeg
nostromo4.jpeg

After the dyeing, I sewed the piping to the collar. The piping is a polyester cord trim that matched perfectly. The back of the collar had an interesting addition where there was velcro between each layer of fabric! It's funny the things you notice once you have an original piece. Like the main zipper isn't fully sewn on at the bottom of the jacket. So I took the velcro out of the collar but followed the outlined trace it left.
nostromo8.jpeg
nostromo6.jpeg

Next came making the panels. I'm going for a dallas ish kind of jacket and wanted those G-4B panels. I was trying to match the original fabric of those flight suits but came up empty handed. I settled on a cotton canvas duck fabric which had a similar weaving and spent some time taking sandpaper to it. I'm not happy with how black it looks because it looked more blue at the store. And it's too stiff. Anyways, I copied the center seam of the flight suits for the panels. I used vintage Talon zippers that I got in a lot because they had a great look to them. I couldn't find the original loop pull zippers that are often seen on old army jackets and settled with these. I used grey mil-spec grosgrain because that's what the material looked like on the original suits. If anyone actually knows the type of fabric and trim of those original suits I'd love to know! The lacing used is paracord. It's not perfect but it gives that military quality to it.
nostromo9.jpeg
nostromo12.jpeg

These are the two panels mocked up and one sewed on. I really hope it doesn't look too wonky. Once everything is sewed on I'll throw it in the wash to get some nice fraying.
nostromo10.jpeg
nostromo11.jpeg

Then came the sleeves. There are about 40 tabs for each sleeve panel. These I'll probably have to sew on by hand since it won't fit through the sewing machine. Now all I have to do is wait for the fabulous patches made by NostromoCrew and get a stencil for the lettering! Any tips from y'all on anything would greatly be appreciated. I'm not trying to make this identical to Dallas' jacket, but for my own character. So if you see silver wings on there next that's why :)

Here is my interpretation of the crew jacket to add to the many here.

After years of sitting on my Mk3 jacket and at least four attempts to dye it (and never being happy with the colour), I decided to leave it in it's current green/grey state and finish it off.

kan 4.crop.jpg

Over a number of years I have sourced dozens of patches from various vendors and a number of wings and even a Nostromo stencil years ago. But after lapsing about six or seven years ago and a big move in 2021 meant all that was put on hold and then my stuff went into storage.

However, nostromocrew's release of the Alien shirt and trousers got me thinking about getting back to replicating Kane's jacket (even though I bought the Ash seafoam duo rather than the correct ivory).

A bit of damage to my wallet brought in lovely bullion wings and patches from nostromocrew and alternative patches from patchesnpins, lacings from SG-R8 and a new stencil from Banzai88 as well as enamel rank badges from the bay.

Nostromocrew may update his patches, so I'll be keeping an eye out for them as well, so until then the patchesnpins versions are in place.

Last year, I spotted a Japanese-made MK3 RAF Cold Weather Jacket in black from Waiper on Japanese shopping site Rakuten for about £200. Expensive yes, but as black is my colour of choice (and I'm never going to find an original RAF blue/grey/purple version), I couldn't pass it up. UK customs stung me for fees and VAT though.

IMG_2452.crop.jpg

It was available in sizes up to 9 -- though I thought they only went to size 8. However, buying the 9 was a mistake as I thought it was Asian sizing and would not fit my 44-inch chest thus going bigger. However, my reasoning failed and this piece of Japanese-made clothing was true to size! Also, the sleeves are way too long, but this is my fault as I'm short. The sleeves will be altered at some point.

Next, SG-R8 was good enough to supply his lacings in black. He was excellent to deal with and they arrived fast. They were attached with fabric glue to save my fingertips. Also, the originals may have been glued on too, as glue stains or similar appear to be on the sleeves in reference photos. By coincidence, the underlying lacing panel exactly matched the shade of my jacket and the loops were also close tonally. So, very happy as together they appear much more like a complete package.

IMG_2457.crop.jpg

The collar on the my green Mk3 was sewed on by hand in a non-canon light baby pink/almost white piping. Dark grey piping was used on the black jacket. Nostromocrew's silver bullion wings were easy to attach, particularly with the black jacket as it hooked on to a handy patch of loop fabric in the right place on the left chest.

An attempt at the name using a home-made stencil on the green jacket failed miserably and some residual paint is still visible. To fix my error, I turned to Banzai88 who had sold me a stencil years ago and is still supplying them now. So with two more ordered and the appropriate green and dark grey paints the back logos were easily done.

With that it's thanks to the community for its help. In this case, it's true to say that everything I learned about this jacket I got from the RPF!

And thus, my 11-year on-and-off journey is now complete.

IMG_2453.crop.jpgIMG_2456.crop.jpg

cheers all
Steve

sliuman Looks like the stencil worked out well.
Is that black Japanese jacket original construction or dyed vintage jacket? I looks like it includes the velcroed-up 'tail' like the originals.
Hi. Yes, they worked a treat! Thanks again! The jacket is fully made in Japan. It's just like an original and includes the tail and the hood... all of which I have left in both jackets as I couldn't bear to remove them! Jacket was bought December 5, 2022 so this was fresh off the rack based on manufacture date!

IMG_2458.jpeg

Hi Everyone,

This is a pretty esoteric piece of the Nostromo costumes but it kept bugging me... Dallas’s Belt! Not seen much on screen, but he definitely does not wear the same type of belt that Kane or Ash are seen wearing:

kane.jpg
alien-1979-28-g.jpg

These belts are beautifully reproduced by stephen210:
IMG_4830.JPG

Analyzing screenshots and some set photos (none of which are super in focus) it does seem like a British military belt buckle:
178882507_837642480170131_3802560536848909102_n.jpg
188047888_3941247875930375_895496238384197027_n.jpg
80BF8E3F-E061-4121-BFC1-EFB339EC6440.JPG
IMG_8710.jpeg

The usual suspects are various british regimental and stable belts:
Regiment belts.jpegIMG_8615.jpegIMG_8616.jpegIMG_8617.jpeg

This was all close enough for a pretty long time... ...Until I purchased the Alien anthology Blu-Ray which included two bonus discs with a tone of photos I hadn’t seen before, And so I’m scrolling through the photos, and this one comes up:
67630035_1058900524308226_580306427365556224_n.jpg

So close! if he just lifted his arms a tiny bit we could get a better look at the buckle! ...And the next photo:
6A81673C-34E6-4DBC-A741-1451D0CF0E18_1_105_c.jpeg

Zoom in... Enhance!
432BEA64-9E19-4C0A-9453-E64310F6ED0D_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the best quality closeup of the Dallas belt buckle! It’s not perfect, but at least we can make out the distinct shape and see texture on the different surfaces! Well, this rules out all the current regimental belts I own, the ones I once thought were close.

Seams like its time for a dive down the rabbit holeI into all the various types of British regimental belts... and of course there are hundreds of types and designs that kept changing over the years...

belt collections.jpeg
belt collections1.jpeg

After hours of combing through the internet...

Attachments

• 67369496_1049443715253907_5888608425780183040_n.jpg
    67369496_1049443715253907_5888608425780183040_n.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 61

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back