Limited Run Aluminum and Brass Arc Reactor Mark I cave ver KITS/completed

Construction is almost done on mine, just need to do the transformers. Did anyone else have trouble with the fin alignment plate? My fin assembly is slightly skewed, and it took a lot of work to get them in there. I had to taper the fins themselves

I got mine to almost 90% complete before I noticed the same thing (actually my wife asked why it was crooked, and then I could see it). I had to get it back apart and revile the plate that held the electronics package. Now I just clean an repaint the fins and reassemble. I should have done a complete dry fit and alignment first, I should have saved me a lot of wasted time.

Construction is almost done on mine, just need to do the transformers. Did anyone else have trouble with the fin alignment plate? My fin assembly is slightly skewed, and it took a lot of work to get them in there. I had to taper the fins themselves

I know this sounds like a lot of work but after filing down a part dry fit and see where your at with each one. It will save you in the long run and make for a cleaner build.

Chris

It sounds like you both have saved the rest of us some work. thank you.
I'm still filing the parts down.

Here's where I'm at so far. Just a few more transformer bodies to wrap, then final assembly and weathering

20151122_005615_zps9eenx4ul.jpg

20151122_005637_zps9wwykolf.jpg

20151122_005655_zps7ntelkfh.jpg

20151122_005724_zpsimvw2vzf.jpg

20151122_005836_zpstjnsatg2.jpg

Thank you, Kevin, for posting. I am dry fitting as I file the fins and seeing your buildup is really helping. I am really confused over the three screws and brass threaded rods and how they stack up. In my kit I have 3 long bolts, three short bolts (one is shorter), three short threaded brass rods - threaded all the way through, and three long threaded brass rods - but only drilled and threaded part way. I cannot get my bolts/rods to do what you show. Could I have the wrong parts? More likely, I am not doing it right.
It seems as though the long threaded rods should be drilled and threaded all the way through. Are yours?
FullSizeRender-50.jpg

I am thinking of soldering the rings to the brass standoff. Anyone else doing that? I also have a larger piece of brass shim stock on order so I can have the brass tabs tuck under the wire on the transformers - the tiny brass squares seem to easy to mess up. Plus the brass wire soldered to the brass shim would be a bit structural and look identical to the squares. I have enough shim that I can send anyone on this build list who wants some for free. Last... I am planning on using Pax aluminum black to treat the aluminum rather than painting - anyone else doing that? Recommendations?
FullSizeRender-51.jpg

Last edited:
Those longer bolts need to be trimmed down. It's one of the earlier steps in the instruction pdf

Ah... RTM would sum it all up. Thank you Kevin. I finally have the fins filed and early experiments look promising on the PAX aluminum black. My first attempt at winding the transformer was not great so I am making a steel winder to go on the lathe and I will try again - I have a roll of 26 AWG red wire so no problem there.

A very cool kit, Kurosawa.

I also have a larger piece of brass shim stock on order so I can have the brass tabs tuck under the wire on the transformers - the tiny brass squares seem to easy to mess up. Plus the brass wire soldered to the brass shim would be a bit structural and look identical to the squares. I have enough shim that I can send anyone on this build list who wants some for free.
Great idea! I'd defenitely be interested in a piece of that shim. I'm in Belgium, but would be happy to pay for shipping and a bit more ;-). Drop me a PM if that would be possible.

I tried both a flat black, and didn't like it, then some DupliColor gunmetal from autozone. That turned out great. Once I get everything cleaned up again I'll post a pic.

Another question: what do you guys use to paint the alu parts black? Spray paint? Brands?

Hey kursosawa, should the int list in the first post be up to date? It says that I only paid the deposit, but I made the full payment days ago. Just wanted to check if you got it...

Hey kursosawa, should the int list in the first post be up to date? It says that I only paid the deposit, but I made the full payment days ago. Just wanted to check if you got it...

Same as here, is it everything ok with mine as well??

Regards,

Alberto

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back