AMT Studio Series TIE Fighter from ANH

The AMT 1/32 kit is totally accurate. It's a scaled down copy of the filming model where the only differences (apart from the interior, which is custom) are those needed to make it practical for commercial production.

The Hasbro product is a toy so I guess it's not surprising if they got the proportions wrong.
I figured that. Well, at least I have two wings that are, more than less, accurate with no cockpit ball.
Another project for another day, another time.

The AMT 1/32 kit is totally accurate. It's a scaled down copy of the filming model where the only differences (apart from the interior, which is custom) are those needed to make it practical for commercial production.

The Hasbro product is a toy so I guess it's not surprising if they got the proportions wrong.
AMT needs to get you guys going on an X-Wing already!

SB

I did a comparison with my Hasbro (TLC) TIE and a recently bought AMT 1:32 TIE kit.

Hmmm, it seems the TLC cockpit ball is the same size as the AMT kit. But the wing heights are quite different. The TLC has a height of 15.25" as the AMT is 13.5" (assuming that's accurate, as I haven't build it yet).

So what does this mean? Who's the most accurate? You can't have the same cockpit size and two different wing heights. :unsure:

That's pretty much what I expected. Thanks for that.

I took a couple of shots of one of my SS X-wings with the AMT Tie.

Keep in mind that the AMT Tie is 3/4 Studio Scale, but next to the SS X-wing, it looks FAIRLY in proper proportion ship to ship as I remember in the movies. I had always remembered the Tie being a much smaller ship than the X-wings.

My morning workday is going crazy at the moment, but I’ll get some better shots comparing the two ships side to side later.

IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8627.jpeg

Last edited:
I still feel like the TIEs are a little bigger in proportion to the X-wings in the movie although you only see them in tandem in a few shots…

Thanks guys. Nice pictures of the Tie Fighter kit gentlemen. Been rewatching The Mandalorian Season 1, Episode 7 shows a great sequence of how this ship folds its wings and then lowers its landing gear. I do not recall this on the Star Wars trilogy. Awesome design features to automate.

Maybe my next model project if I survive the Falcon?

Last edited:
I took a couple of shots of one of my SS X-wings with the AMT Tie.

Keep in mind that the AMT Tie is 3/4 Studio Scale, but next to the SS X-wing, it looks FAIRLY in proper proportion ship to ship as I remember in the movies. I had always remembered the Tie being a much smaller ship than the X-wings.

My morning workday is going crazy at the moment, but I’ll get some better shots comparing the two ships side to side later.

View attachment 1767668View attachment 1767669
I remember having my old MPC X-wing and Estes TIE thinking they look pretty close to the same scale. Hey, if you take a SS X-wing pilot (3" at 1.24 scale) and place him in an AMT TIE, would he be too small or too large or close enough?

I remember having my old MPC X-wing and Estes TIE thinking they look pretty close to the same scale. Hey, if you take a SS X-wing pilot (3" at 1.24 scale) and place him in an AMT TIE, would he be too small or too large or close enough?
I didn’t measure the Tie pilot when I built it, but mark1, mod0 eyeball says he’s about 2.5” tall.
Kinda like Luke as a Stormtrooper..a bit short in comparison to the SS X-wing pilot.

The more I look at the two ships together, the Tie is a bit smallish in relation to the X-wing. Expected, since the Tie is 3/4 SS.

Still, ship to ship, they look relatively good together. Especially if one did a forced perspective shot, with the X-wing up front, and the Tie closing in for a kill shot.

Just between friends, not intended as criticism of the new kit:

To me, the pilot for the new 1/32 kit seems small for the cockpit. The ones ILM used, where larger compared to the cockpit ball, IMHO.

I didn’t measure the Tie pilot when I built it, but mark1, mod0 eyeball says he’s about 2.5” tall.
Kinda like Luke as a Stormtrooper..a bit short in comparison to the SS X-wing pilot.

The more I look at the two ships together, the Tie is a bit smallish in relation to the X-wing. Expected, since the Tie is 3/4 SS.

Still, ship to ship, they look relatively good together. Especially if one did a forced perspective shot, with the X-wing up front, and the Tie closing in for a kill shot.
I have a SS X-wing that needs to be built, so when I get to it I'll compare the two pilots. Frankly, I would ignore what pilot they used in the screen-used TIE and go by what works if it was real life. I think someone have tried to decipher the dependencies between the cockpit/pilot studio model and the live action set. Not sure how it went.

Just between friends, not intended as criticism of the new kit:

To me, the pilot for the new 1/32 kit seems small for the cockpit. The ones ILM used, where larger compared to the cockpit ball, IMHO.

I started with a 3D scan of the pilot used by ILM, which I was told was 1:1 actual size, then scaled that by 75%. So, it should be correct. BUT, that said, R2 told me they scaled *up* my cockpit interior because they thought the pilot was sitting too high relative to the canopy. I don't know if they simply scaled the cockpit around the pilot (leaving him the same size) or scaled everything up.

Keep in mind the pilot figure used in the filming model was sitting towards the front of the cockpit because there was an armature hidden behind him in the center of the ball. Also, the "interior" of the filming model was pretty much right up against the pilot figure. In contrast, the figure in the kit is seated all the way to the back almost up against the rear wall. The surrounding cockpit was made to mimic the full-size live action set so there's plenty of room around him. All that might make the filming model figure look larger in relation to his surroundings.

I started with a 3D scan of the pilot used by ILM, which I was told was 1:1 actual size, then scaled that by 75%. So, it should be correct. BUT, that said, R2 told me they scaled *up* my cockpit interior because they thought the pilot was sitting too high relative to the canopy. I don't know if they simply scaled the cockpit around the pilot (leaving him the same size) or scaled everything up.

Keep in mind the pilot figure used in the filming model was sitting towards the front of the cockpit because there was an armature hidden behind him in the center of the ball. Also, the "interior" of the filming model was pretty much right up against the pilot figure. In contrast, the figure in the kit is seated all the way to the back almost up against the rear wall. The surrounding cockpit was made to mimic the full-size live action set so there's plenty of room around him. All that might make the filming model figure look larger in relation to his surroundings.
Very Cool. So, with your 3D design does the 1:1 pilot work within the cockpit ball and its exterior?

Very Cool. So, with your 3D design does the 1:1 pilot work within the cockpit ball and its exterior?

I think so. But, like I said, they made some changes in the scaling so the final kit is a bit different than my 3D. Also, I did not model the final pilot. That was done by the factory so my renders show only the "stand-in" pilot figure that matches what ILM used for the filming model.

I tried to match the full-size set with the utmost accuracy. On set, however, the pilot's head is up near the top hatch. That simply did not work in the filming model because the pilot's face would be at the very top of the front canopy window. So, I had to make some compromises.

In the end, I moved the pilot down as much as I could. I was able to do this while still matching photos of the set by having an "inner hatch" and an "outer hatch" with space between them. The inner hatch matched the full-size set and was the proper distance from the pilot's head. The outer hatch matched the filming model. I offset the top hatch windows so that when you look up from inside you see straight out into space. This helps to fool the eye into not seeing the gap between the outer and inner hatch.

Still, in the end my 3D pilot sat up a bit higher than the final version that made it into production. :)

1701936754495.png

Interesting. If you look at screen caps of the POV shots from the TIEs, they're shot at downward angle, like if the pilot is sitting high in the cockpit. The question is, is it good enough to sell the idea of the pilot sitting so high looking from the outside.

TIE pov 02.jpg
TIE pov 03.jpg

Exactly! This is yet another case of the live-action set not matching the filming model. The two biggest discrepancies were the orientation of the cockpit window frame and also what I call the "modesty panel" that the filming miniature had just behind the front window. That panel -- which obscures almost half the opening on the filming model -- is nowhere to be found on the live action set. This makes it the biggest "disconnect" between the set and the miniature.

For the new kit, R2 decided to make the orientation of the cockpit canopy optional. That's why they included two different notches for locating the window frame. I think this was a great idea. While that opening is not actually completely round on the filming model (or on the kit), it's close enough that it works.

I believe that they call it "studio series" tie. It's bigger and more detailed than the older versions.. Although not truly studio scale, it looks like a fun kit to build. I just picked up the Lasse Henning A-Wing, 1:29 Revell X-Wing bunch of Bandai kits.. It's been a long time since I've been able to build or create.. So I'm starting with easier to build kits while I get my DeAgostini Falcon issues sent. I've missed the communal experience of this hobby/lifestyle.

I just got one of these for Xmas - great looking kit but one half of the cockpit inner ball was warped quite badly - front top corner was 1/4" out of alignment when bottom & back corners were clipped together - anyone else have this?
Thankfully after soaking in near boiling water for a couple of minutes and a bit of manual encouragement got it back into shape...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back